SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#49239 - 02/21/05 12:54 PM Problem with audio recording via USB
fmlk4u Offline

Loc: Eindhoven, The Netherlands
Hello KN7000 co-players,

In several ways I have recorded several songs as wav or mp3, using the Panasonic Audio Recorder tool, that came standard with the keyboard. I have had the keyboard connected to my main desktop PC and lately to a laptop. But in most cases there are some ticks in the recording now and then as if it was recording of an old LP with a scratch. During recording I closed all applications. In case of the laptop I am even not connected to internet. Screensaver is then off. Since I have the problem with two different PC's I wonder is it sounds familiar and if anybody knows what to do about it. Especially with the classic organ sequence recording the ticks are very good to hear, thus disturbing. Thanks for your feedback and hopefully help!!

Regards, Fred
http://fred.kn7000.nl

#49240 - 02/21/05 04:02 PM Re: Problem with audio recording via USB
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hi Fred,

As just a guess, as I am far from an expert.
Are the ticks in sync? Some of the styles I have have a tick (rim shot?) in the background that I find annoying.

Fran in Florida

#49241 - 02/22/05 04:34 AM Re: Problem with audio recording via USB
Bill Norrie Offline

Loc: North Yorkshire UK
Hi Fred,
I experienced a similar problem some time ago, when using the Panasonic Recorder software. Like you, I turned off all other applications, including anti-virus software, but the problem persisted.
I thought that it might be due to the way the program actually records the data to hard disc, causing momentary interruptions in the data capture process. I tried the program on three different PCs, including a laptop and experienced the problem with different severity, on the PCs. I noticed that the onset of the problem always seemed to occur after about one minute of recording, at which time there appeared to be considerable hard disc activity - indicated by the Hard Disc LED.
I eventually overcame the problem on all my PCs, by using an alternative program for recording via USB - Goldwave ( www.goldwave.com ) This is an excellent professional Audio Editor program and you can download and evaluate it free, from their website. There may be alternative audio editors suitable for USB recording - I had a brief look at 'Audacity' but it doesn't seem to have a USB input facility. If any other forum member knows of a suitable program, I'm sure they will inform us.......

------------------
Willum

After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is Music.
Aldous Huxley
( especially when the music is played on a KN7000....)

#49242 - 02/22/05 07:44 AM Re: Problem with audio recording via USB
technicsplayer Offline

this is usually caused by some kind of background task if the pc is fast enough, I recorded all the mp3 demos on the old Keynote Publications site with Audo Recorder years ago without any issues. By the way Bill, the freeware Audacity records digitally from the usb just fine and doesn't cost anything.

#49243 - 02/22/05 09:45 AM Re: Problem with audio recording via USB
Bill Norrie Offline

Loc: North Yorkshire UK
Thanks Alec for confirming that Audacity does indeed have the USB input facility. I was looking at the options offered, on my laptop PC, which at the time, was not connected to my KN7000, hence the probable absence of any mention of USB input. I'll give it a try later today........

------------------
Willum

After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is Music.
Aldous Huxley
( especially when the music is played on a KN7000....)

#49244 - 02/22/05 10:41 AM Re: Problem with audio recording via USB
fmlk4u Offline

Loc: Eindhoven, The Netherlands
Hello Folks,

Thanks very much for your feedback. I have just downloaded Audacity and will probably experiment in the weekend. Eralier is unfortunately not possible, becasue too much work and appointments for voluntary work until then. So if you found out how to record with Audacity earlier than me, I am very much obliged.

Kind regards, Fred

#49245 - 02/22/05 12:41 PM Re: Problem with audio recording via USB
technicsplayer Offline

personally I use audition and sound forge but from memory all you have to do is plug the 7k usb in, open audacity, file menu, preferences, choose panasonic usb x2, stereo etc then hit record.

#49246 - 02/22/05 02:43 PM Re: Problem with audio recording via USB
manorcourt1991 Offline

Loc: Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
I use Cool Edit (I believe now owned by Adobe and supplied with Photoshop) and it also works fine with the USB input. Audio Recorder works OK but the recorded level is very low. The level of the wave file can be adjusted in other programs but also brings up the noise floor.

Cheers
Len C.

#49247 - 02/22/05 03:06 PM Re: Problem with audio recording via USB
technicsplayer Offline

audition is what adobe now call cool edit, it has the most impressive audio pitch change performance I've found. You need to balance as high as possible in the 7k mixer when audio recording, then the level is high enough not to require large amounts of normalisation, leaving a very quiet background.

#49248 - 02/22/05 04:25 PM Re: Problem with audio recording via USB
Kenneth Gundersen Offline

Loc: Lyngdal in Norway
If you record using the USB the recording is made digitally. Then there should not be more noice if you use a software to raise the altitude.

If the recorded altitude level is to low, you can use programs like Cool Edit Pro to raise the altitude.

Fred, you can try recording using jack to jack wires, from line out onyour KN7000 and to your PC sound card. Recording will now be analog but the ticks will be gone. Cool Edit Pro will work fine for this recording.

Kennneth www.KN7000.net

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online