SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#491187 - 03/07/20 12:57 PM Looking for Ketron SD90 owners.
stkeys Offline

I think the Ketron SD90 module is an outstanding instrument but it's frustrating that there isn't a lot of help when it comes to using it with a computer.

If you own the SD90 or similare Ketron instruments, are interested in learning how to connect it to a PC/DAW and and would like to collaborate/share information, send me a PM.

Edited by stkeys (03/07/20 12:57 PM)

#491188 - 03/07/20 01:10 PM Re: Looking for Ketron SD90 owners. [Re: stkeys]
IMMusic_Curt Offline

Loc: New Symrna Beach, Fl.
Hi Steve,

I know you asked for a PM, but I thought I'd respond to the post as other SD90 owners might be interested?

We use our SD90 (and at times SD9) 95% of the time with Logic Pro. Maybe we can help, perhaps we can't. What are you trying to do?

#491201 - 03/07/20 03:25 PM Re: Looking for Ketron SD90 owners. [Re: IMMusic_Curt]
stkeys Offline

Hi Kurt, I've communicated with you via PM before regarding various things I've attempted, some successfully some not ;o).

I would like to know the best way to connect the SD90 to the PC /Cubase.

Using a USB to connect gives me a high pitch background noise.

I've tried using a Midi keyboard connected via USB to the PC and a Midi 1x1 Tab cable from E-mu that has Midi in and out connectors on one end and USB connector on the other for the PC. If I connect that to the PC and into the Midi In 2(keyb) on the SD90 I can get them communicating and have had some success recording but not 100% of the time.

I watched a video on YT where a guy called Thio shows how he records Styles into Cubase and I tried setting up everything as he did but the results were not as expected. He also has made his own Cubase Patch Script which is what I've been looking for.

With the SD90 having so many different Midi templates ready to use you would think it would be simple but knowing which one to choose for a specific job is not.

Edited by stkeys (03/07/20 03:26 PM)

#491231 - 03/08/20 06:13 AM Re: Looking for Ketron SD90 owners. [Re: stkeys]
IMMusic_Curt Offline

Loc: New Symrna Beach, Fl.
I sent you a private message this morning. Hopefully, it helps.

We are old school and rarely use the USB connection other than to access the internal drives to manage files, although you can use it for MIDI data. Are you using the USB port in the rear or on the sides of the unit?

In our case, we are using the MIDI in/Out (DIN) connections to a Focusrite Audio/MIDI interface. That interface is a USB connection to our Mac.

Couple of things to consider:
There are 32 MIDI channels to work with.
MIDI In1 has access to the first 16 channels and what Ketron calls the GM Sounds.
You can manage the transmit and receive of those channels via the "GM Part" button.
MIDI In2 has access to the second set of MIDI channels.
You can manage the transmit and receive of those channels via the "Arranger Keyboard" button.
In2 also allows access to both the User Voice and User Style banks in addition to the Voice Presets.

Moderator:  Admin, Kerry, Ketron_AJ, Tonewheeldude 

Help keep Synth Zone Online