SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 5 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#491178 - 03/07/20 08:52 AM Re: Lowrey Magic [Re: Dnj]
leeboy Offline

Loc: Ocala, FL USA
The D-Deck and ELS-01 or 2C have a feature to actually automatically change regs if programmed to do so(by measure and beat). So you can use the right foot switch or the auto function. We can use a foot sw. on an arranger the same way.

Bachus I have never heard any Lowrey sound as good as the Yamaha's. The Roland's do sound great as well...

Marco is outstanding, and the D-Deck he is playing is only $7,200 including shipping.....Your right they are not the same as a Arranger TRX type setup, but that setup does afford some of us a lot of capability for the $$.
I really hate being limited on a 61 note to have a very small area for LH chords and sounds.

It would be cool to see and compare Marco playing a TRX type setup compared to the organ...Wish there were more demos of the TRX approach by great players.

Anyways.... this is an arranger forum, so I am more interest in what we can do from that approach.

#491261 - 03/09/20 01:11 PM Re: Lowrey Magic [Re: leeboy]
Togge Offline

Only the STAGEA ELC-02 (Package) may be had below $10k.
The instrument Marco is playing, ELS-02X, is above $20k after shipping, VAT and possible import tax (to EU I think import tax from Japan is gone). Perhaps US has lower VAT than EU, I don't know.

#491262 - 03/09/20 01:46 PM Re: Lowrey Magic [Re: leeboy]
Togge Offline

Originally Posted By leeboy

It would be cool to see and compare Marco playing a TRX type setup compared to the organ...Wish there were more demos of the TRX approach by great players.

Anyways.... this is an arranger forum, so I am more interest in what we can do from that approach.

I would have liked to see this to. I think it's much worse functionallity but perhaps possible to work with.
I heard people before, with Tyros, using R3 for the bass pedals leaving only 3 Real time parts and there seems to have been some remarks for suitalbe vocies for bass pedaling, perhaps to some extent to lower also.
One Cumberstone is that it't not possible to get the manuals in the correct distance from each other. If casing is removed from lower it's probalby withing ok.
For Yamaha there are limited numbers of keyboards that could be used since Yamaha uses narrower key width for synth keys than the standard 165mm per octave and you really want the keys to line up of organ playing.
The choice now most often seem to be NP-32 that doesn't have a midi connecter but only USB midi.
Before M-audio keystation 61 have been used in several cases but since mk3 it has the standars key width and is therefor no longer suatible as lower for Yamaha.
These are both lower quality keybeds withouth after touch. For any quality keybed with after touch I don't know.

I have been thinking of this option myself since organ market is dead. If you go ahead reports will be very interesting.
There are also a couple of advantages as more keys especially compared to the 2x49 option.
It is also possible to sell the instrument when wanting something else wich will be very difficult with an organ.
And in case of Genos or Yamaha in general there are a sample player and you can import new sounds.
How well the keyboard styles operates in organ playing I don't know. Often I guess you would only want to use the drum track.

Cost with a Genos will be about 5.5k Euro, maybe could even be somewhat lower, (Viscount has cheap pedals for arround 1200-1300 Euro and up depending on 25 pedals or up to 32, I think they even has a set of 20 that is probably slighlty cheaper) and the cost for building a stand and amplifying.

#491263 - 03/09/20 01:53 PM Re: Lowrey Magic [Re: Togge]
Togge Offline

#491265 - 03/09/20 02:46 PM Re: Lowrey Magic [Re: Dnj]
leeboy Offline

Togge, Yep the ELS-02C is what I would get....about $12k with shipping and a guess of import duty. Taro gives 1 year warranty, but you have to find a tech or fix it yourself , he sends parts. I would be qualified to fix it, no problem. He covers up to $1,000 in parts (or if you get some tech also)

I read the entire set of manuals for Genos and ELS-02C this last weekend, compared. There is actually more capability on Genos. After all it is a newer unit.The issue of pedal sounds and lower is there, but workable.

I had a Yamaha HS8-T organ in late 80's....and it had almost the same features, BUT certainly not the same sounds. I paid $8,500 then...so I think the ELS is OK price.

I am now thinking to do the Genos arranger organ...lots of reasons but I would really like the ELS. You named some of reasons...very limited market for it after I go to the big place in the sky.

Now I am not sure what to use for lower, maybe a NP32.

For now I may actually take my SX-900 and add the lower...see how I like it. A NP32. I do have a PC in the same area so I can use the USB MIDI host setup. Also at some time I may build a cabinet at our wood shop here.

#491266 - 03/09/20 02:57 PM Re: Lowrey Magic [Re: Dnj]
leeboy Offline

Togge, Do you know...is the NP-32 165mm octive width?
Lee

#491267 - 03/09/20 03:14 PM Re: Lowrey Magic [Re: leeboy]
Togge Offline

I still has the HS-8 grin

You seem to have spent time on the same things as I have.

#491268 - 03/09/20 04:04 PM Re: Lowrey Magic [Re: Dnj]
leeboy Offline

Yep....We can do PM's and not take up bandwidth here?
Lee

#491269 - 03/09/20 04:33 PM Re: Lowrey Magic [Re: leeboy]
Togge Offline

Togge, Do you know...is the NP-32 165mm octive width?
Lee

It should be the same a Genos and Yamaha synth keys with about 160mm.
Allthough it was a very long time since I was in a stor measuring octaves.
To me the keys also look pretty lined up.
https://www.facebook.com/MusiclandUkLtd/...e=3&theater

#491270 - 03/09/20 04:34 PM Re: Lowrey Magic [Re: leeboy]
Togge Offline

Yep....We can do PM's and not take up bandwidth here?
Lee

Sure

Page 5 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online