SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#490904 - 03/03/20 12:08 AM Re: Did any of you learn pedals AFTER the arranger? [Re: TedS]
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
Hammond & Bohm do full pedalboards with Midi if you want to play in church style.
Another option is get an old organ with full pedalboard and Midi that is in good working order, (Or at least has parts that are still available) as they are cheap as chips these days and you can stick your arranger on top. (There are plenty of pedal self-teaching books out there on eBay etc.)

Bill

#490917 - 03/03/20 05:22 AM Re: Did any of you learn pedals AFTER the arranger? [Re: TedS]
leeboy Offline

Loc: Ocala, FL USA
Thanks Ted for the hink, I'll look on the SX-900 to see if I can set manual bass.

Also, here yo go guys a great use of pedals:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n2I6CIXv-XM

IMHO the VERY best way to play arranger IF you don't move it around is to add the lower manual, AND pedals. It's really nice with the lower as your not cramped into a little area for chords, and you can have access to all notes on upper for leads/melody etc. AND it is much more comfortable to have your L hand below and not so far left playing chords, after all that's all why they designed organs that way.

For not all that much effort and $ you can set it up easy.

#491100 - 03/06/20 01:41 AM Re: Did any of you learn pedals AFTER the arranger? [Re: leeboy]
Bachus Offline

Originally Posted By leeboy
Thanks Ted for the hink, I'll look on the SX-900 to see if I can set manual bass.

Also, here yo go guys a great use of pedals:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n2I6CIXv-XM

IMHO the VERY best way to play arranger IF you don't move it around is to add the lower manual, AND pedals. It's really nice with the lower as your not cramped into a little area for chords, and you can have access to all notes on upper for leads/melody etc. AND it is much more comfortable to have your L hand below and not so far left playing chords, after all that's all why they designed organs that way.

For not all that much effort and $ you can set it up easy.

Actually the biggest challenge is finding a high quallity 76 lower keybed..
None is making them anymore..

There are a few 88 key options tough, many not to my liking (touch) i tried the Nektar LX88 and the Studiologic, but their keybeds while semi weighted where sub par..
Now thee is a new semi wieghted action with 88 keys from Arturia, looking forard to test that..

I fully agree, 2 manuals in organ position offers the most playabillity.. seems only wersi offers such witouth the pedals, the OAX1 pro.. (follow up from the abacus pro)

I just wished Yamaha made a 2 manual Genos, with 76 lower key and 61 upper key.. and an option to add pedals.. The D-decks formfactor is just great. Or korg made a Korgan based on the pa4x with added kronos engines.. Or maybe 2 dual manual Ketron SD9?

Biggest problem o far is that all these keybaords don’t really facilitate adding a lower midi key... because i would definately want splits on both upper as well as lower.. Only GEnos offers support trough a 3rd party unit named V-console

From a pricing point tough, as soon as they add a lower manual they double the price...

http://keyszone.boards.net

#491109 - 03/06/20 05:42 AM Re: Did any of you learn pedals AFTER the arranger? [Re: TedS]
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Sounds like everyone is trying to find a cheap way to get back to what existed prior to the arranger era; a home organ with auto-accompaniment. I'm an organ player, or more specifically, a TONEWHEEL-type organ player. No 'B3' players that I know would ever accept two synths and pedals as a substitute for an organ; not even a consideration. Of course we're a biased little bunch so that configuration might work for non-organist who just want the convenience of two manuals (most people WON'T learn 'pedals' after age 60 smile ).

The configuration that works for me is my two-manual clonewheel on the bottom and a synth of your choice on top controlling an arranger module (or drum machine) on the side. In my case, I use the VP770 on top and the BK7m as a (very good) drum machine on the side. The VP770 has several good SN voices, is a fantastic vocal processor/harmonizer, and does a nice job playing the very good voices in the BK7m. This is my rehearsal rig and works very well when we rehearse (jam) without a drummer. The flat top of my organ (KeyB Duo Mk111) makes the synth of your choice very accessible with no controls blocked and a very short reach for the controller/synth's keybed. Works perfect for me. YMMV. It depends on how much your orientation is towards the organ.

chas

#491113 - 03/06/20 06:19 AM Re: Did any of you learn pedals AFTER the arranger? [Re: TedS]
leeboy Offline

Loc: Ocala, FL USA
YES...that's what some of us want...back to a organ with today's arranger capabilities and sounds. BUT not the stupid price of any of the true organ MFGS. AND you can have it! at a very good cost point. To me anyways, a Genos with a good 76 under it, and a 17 note Studiologic pedalboard would be awesome.

Bill, many MIDI keuboards (as you may know) have split point and on SX-900 (genos too) you can set lower / RH split to MIDI ch 3 and you have RH 3 voice on the lower above the split pt. Nice. Of course ch 4 is left as well, for the LH split on the lower kbd. Easy stuff. Or you can do more complex stuff if you put a PC in the mix.

IF you find the correct lower, the arranger can sit very close and slightly tilted down, just like organs do on the lower. Even overhang a little.

A Yamaha NP12 or 32 will work great, just need to have a MIDI USB host box in between the keyboards. (or a PC)

#491127 - 03/06/20 10:18 AM Re: Did any of you learn pedals AFTER the arranger? [Re: TedS]
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
If you play and organ it sounds great, if you play an arranger it sounds great, if you play and organ like an arranger it sounds c**p, if you play an arranger like an organ it sounds c**p, as while they are similar, they have diverged significantly since the first spin off of the early auto organ systems. (Use the correct tool for the job and it makes life easy, use the wrong tool and it is a pain in the backside (Butt)

Bill

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online