Every "pro" arranger since the '90s has had an optional mode to control the bass line by playing the chord in a specific inversion. Once I understood slash chords and tried this feature for myself, I was amazed by the difference the correct bass note makes. BUT... playing chords in a specific inversion isn't always ergonomic or convenient.

I know that some of you started out on the organ, or learned to "kick bass" years before we had this technology. Good for you! But what I'm asking is... did anyone here BEGIN with a modern arranger, get frustrated with having to play specific inversions, and THEN start using a pedalboard to control the arranger bass? If so, how long did it take you to become proficient? Did you stick with it, or did you go back to playing specific inversions in the chord section?

Now I'm NOT interested in learning to play a boogie-woogie bassline on the pedals. My question is about just using the pedals as a lower manual, to supply the correct bass note for slash chords, or occasionally the root note for difficult progressions, etc. (Note- If the score calls for root bass, I probably wouldn't press a pedal at all, and the arranger would default to its normal Auto Bass Chord.)

I should also mention, I'm strictly a LH chord, RH melody kind of guy. So playing the bass with my left hand and chords in the right isn't an option. Thus considering the pedals as a third manual. Thanks in advance for sharing your experience!