SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#490747 - 03/01/20 01:16 PM major problem concentrating
ekurburski Offline

Loc: Mountain Home, AR
I'm really having a problem concentrating on what I need to work on when practicing. I have made a list of 30 major tunes and printed out the lyrice and chords. Now I need to find the best backup styles ect for each tune. I set down and start to practice and an hour later I have gone off on some tangent and not found the backups I need. The arranger kb is not necessarily easy play unless you want to accept mediocre results with the on board styles and OT settings.

#490749 - 03/01/20 01:27 PM Re: major problem concentrating [Re: ekurburski]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Earl, post the list of songs on this thread and maybe we can be of assistance. Just a guess, but I'm sure that someone here has lots of third party styles or song specific styles for each and every one of those songs.

Good luck,

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#490754 - 03/01/20 01:40 PM Re: major problem concentrating [Re: travlin'easy]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Earl, as far as concentration goes, what I generally do is use headphones to block out most of the residual noise that may be distracting. Then, I would not think of it as a list of 30 songs that I have to prepare, but rather just the song that is in front of me now ...
As I am working on the different songs, I try to see if there are styles or parts of styles, or OTs that I could use in another song, just to shorten the work a bit.
You could also follow Gary's suggestion, which could help.

#490758 - 03/01/20 01:54 PM Re: major problem concentrating [Re: ekurburski]
Bill Lewis Offline

Loc: Bluffton/Hilton Head SC USA
Earl
Break the projects down to small pieces. 30 songs is a big job to find Styles/Sounds for. I like the headphones idea too. Work until you find yourself getting off target. Then stop for awhile ( or more ) and go back. Even when I'm feeling sharp I can't practice more than two hours before I lose concentration. Sometimes I may have only 20 minutes free but really try to stay on task and tell myself I took one step forward in my goal.

#490774 - 03/01/20 03:20 PM Re: major problem concentrating [Re: ekurburski]
ekurburski Offline

As far as the 30 songs are concerned I was only working on one at a time. I had figured I could do one tune a day and have all 30 ready to go after a month. As I've said before it was so much easier when we only had 8 different rhymes to choose from on the organ. Now we've got 2-300 different styles, each with 4 drum patterns! So much more to choose from!

#490781 - 03/01/20 04:30 PM Re: major problem concentrating [Re: ekurburski]
TedS Offline

Loc: North Texas, USA
I know what you mean Earl, I can relate. I'm a home hobbyist. But for me the workflow would be:

-Make a set list
-Obtain the music, either paper or MIDI
-Transpose to preferred key and simplify if necessary (some chord progressions are just too hard for me to play in real time without making a mistake!)
-Try to find a style that goes well with the song
-Practice! Orchestration really don't matter at this point, as long as it's pleasant enough to listen to
-If a song still seems too difficult, drop it for a while and move on to the next one.
-Only after I get really good at a song with the default sounds/style, THEN I'll create a new registration BANK for that song (Roland calls it a User Program Group)
-I create one registration entry for each section of the song that involves any kind of voice or control change. So far I haven't done a song with two different styles, but it's very possible.
-Annotate the score (either paper or digital) with a reminder to change registrations

Bottom line: no matter how good the panel is laid out, I'm not quick enough to change multiple controls within a couple seconds while I'm playing. Most models have the ability to change OTS with variation, or vice-versa, and that's a good starting point. But it's more foolproof to create a custom registration. The downside to my approach is that once the song is fully evolved, it will always sound the same way. I recently got a BK-9 and I haven't yet worked out how to use the "favorite" tones to give myself some variety when I get bored.

Bottom line, YES it's easy to get distratcted fiddling and not even get through a practice set. For me it's a fun way to while away an evening, but there's a reason I don't quit my day job!!

Edited by TedS (03/02/20 07:02 PM)
Edit Reason: Accidentally called him Ed!

#490785 - 03/01/20 05:12 PM Re: major problem concentrating [Re: travlin'easy]
bruno123 Offline

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
My thoughts:

1-Write a format of how you intend to work. Many times, our focus is on the wrong thing.

A-Follow what you have written, make a list of 10 songs.

B-Find styles that fit each song. Don’t waste too much time selecting the perfect style, you may/will be changing later as you get the feel of the song. Save your work in the keyboard.

C-Now change your what you are concentrating on. Place your focus on the song. Each song tells a story. Your excitement should come from the song. If it doesn’t, select another song.

D-You are working like it was a JOB-TO-DO. I love what mark had to say, if you can understand what he said --- your focus will change.

I can spend three hours on one song without getting bored.
This is called LOVING MUSIC.

John C.

Mark wrote: I still find everything in the world to be fascinating...life to be a rose revealing more of itself with each pull of each petal! He loves music.

Edited by bruno123 (03/01/20 05:16 PM)

#490862 - 03/02/20 01:05 PM Re: major problem concentrating [Re: ekurburski]
ekurburski Offline

John C.
Problem, it is a job to do. Right now it is the only job to do.

And to all the rest of you, thanks for some good suggestions. Now I just have to motivate myself to go to the practice room in the first place!

#490888 - 03/02/20 03:52 PM Re: major problem concentrating [Re: ekurburski]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Earl, just take them one song at a time, when you're finished with that one, go to the next. That's how I did it for more than 30 years. You'll be amazed at how fast those songs stack up in your brain. wink

Good luck,

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#490891 - 03/02/20 06:47 PM Re: major problem concentrating [Re: ekurburski]
ekurburski Offline

Thanks Gary. I will try that.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online