SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#490057 - 02/23/20 01:28 PM Re: Whiskey River PA4X [Re: DonM]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Thank you John, you are very kind to old people! The Korg is nearly perfect for my needs, if not for my aching fingers. smile
I don't see needing to change arrangers for the rest of my few years of entertaining.
Of course that doesn't mean I WON'T change! smile

#490065 - 02/23/20 03:18 PM Re: Whiskey River PA4X [Re: DonM]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By DonM
Thank you John, you are very kind to old people! The Korg is nearly perfect for my needs, if not for my aching fingers. smile
I don't see needing to change arrangers for the rest of my few years of entertaining.
Of course that doesn't mean I WON'T change! smile

coffee

#490070 - 02/23/20 03:55 PM Re: Whiskey River PA4X [Re: cgiles]
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Originally Posted By cgiles
I think I've figured out why everybody (including me) likes Don's work. Everybody (including maybe Don) is going to hate me (nothing new there smile ) for saying this but; none of Don's stuff sounds like it's an arranger backing. It's probably the most authentic-sounding accompaniment heard on this board. Two other things; 1. 'licks', including solos, that do such a great job of emulating both tone and playing technique (especially guitar), and 2. timing. This is SO, SO important and it's mostly a 'feel' thing. Arrangers are very precise and to keep them from sounding 'robotic' (as Donny says), YOU have to supply the syncopation or little variations in tempo/timing that makes it sound LIVE. BTW, this also applies to playing to drum machines, although some have what's called a 'swing' setting which artificially does the same thing, just not as well. Here's a clue though, if you don't 'feel' it, don't do it. Nothing sounds worse than faked/forced syncopation. Anyhow, that's a really long-winded and roundabout way of saying I really liked it (as I do with most all of Don's work, and I am not even a big Country fan - except Willie, of course smile ). I think for me, it's because it sounds so 'professional' and I like all kinds of music IF IT'S DONE WELL.

Nice job Don, and I rarely say that unless I mean it.

chas

Yep, what he said.

Great rendition Don.

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#490071 - 02/23/20 03:57 PM Re: Whiskey River PA4X [Re: DonM]
ekurburski Offline

Loc: Mountain Home, AR
Chas; I gotta agree 110%. Many of our discussions concerning professional arranger kb's relate to this idea of making the KB NOT sound like an arranger. Don does this as well as anyone I know!

#490078 - 02/23/20 06:25 PM Re: Whiskey River PA4X [Re: ekurburski]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Damn, Mason ... they just keep getting better and better ... I'm amazed at how you can concentrate on the licks you're playing, and sing at the same time ...

#490079 - 02/23/20 06:38 PM Re: Whiskey River PA4X [Re: DonM]
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Tony, I was thinking the exact same thing. I can 'comp' and sing at the same time but I can't play 'licks' and sing at the same time. For the record, I heard BB King say the same thing in an interview, so at least we're in good company smile. And with Don, checking out some of the shapelier ladies on the dance floor adds a third level of complexity smile.

chas

#490083 - 02/23/20 07:11 PM Re: Whiskey River PA4X [Re: cgiles]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Originally Posted By cgiles
And with Don, checking out some of the shapelier ladies on the dance floor adds a third level of complexity smile.

chas

rotf2

#490084 - 02/23/20 07:45 PM Re: Whiskey River PA4X [Re: DonM]
jingleman Offline

Loc: The Villages, FL, USA
Like a good whiskey...just keeps getting better with age smile

#490096 - 02/24/20 12:15 AM Re: Whiskey River PA4X [Re: DonM]
Saswick Offline

Loc: Garstang, Preston, Lancashire,...
Brilliant, no wonder your fingers are aching. Col

#490104 - 02/24/20 02:41 AM Re: Whiskey River PA4X [Re: DonM]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By DonM
The Korg is nearly perfect for my needs, if not for my aching fingers. smile

Don would a lighter touch midi controller KB
help the aching fingers night after night?

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online