SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#489397 - 02/16/20 06:43 AM Ketron SD7, how does it sound ? Part two
john smies Offline

Loc: koudekerke, Holland.

In addition to the short demo that I posted a week ago some more short tunes highlighting some of the Registrations that I have made on the Ketron SD7 over the last two months...

regards
John

https://app.box.com/s/xbwna7zj5d3ecfot2hq5sbdhi80vu2xe

#489399 - 02/16/20 07:15 AM Re: Ketron SD7, how does it sound ? Part two [Re: john smies]
Bernie9 Offline

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
Bravo! John

I liked every one. The mix of tunes wa great,and,of coarse,the Ketron live sound was there in nice styles.

#489467 - 02/16/20 11:49 PM Re: Ketron SD7, how does it sound ? Part two [Re: john smies]
john smies Offline

Thanks Bernie.

Over 100 views/listenings and just the one reply, looks like the days of Ketron are numbered......(??).Yes, slightly disappointed that no one bothered to comment on this effort but judging by this forum ( including the Ketron SZ forum) the amount of Ketron players in the USA is absolutely minimal. From the regulars only you Bernie and Deane spring to mind. Then there is Danny in the UK and that's about it I guess.
Oh well I cannot complain. I got the SD7 secondhand at less than half of the retail price and paired with the Korg PA50sd they make an excellent team. Besides I have the Yamaha P80 Piano plus VST pianos as well as my two acoustic guitars.
If I had enough room I would buy a secondhand Roland G70 and a secondhand Yamaha (Tyros2, PSR 950) or new SX-700 but I haven't ....
YOu know that my belief has always been that ( unless you are gigging a lot) two is better than one, and three is better than two. In my view the best arranger set up is to have one of each brand in your music room ( Korg, Yamaha, Ketron, possibly Roland). And it does not have to cost an arm really.
You can get a decent one of each for less money than the complete Genos. Of course if money is no issue you could follow Bernie's footsteps and have a PA4X, a Genos and the SD9, just saying.......( as Donny would say....).If I am not mistaken UK Danny has got a rather similar set up, great !!!

I still think that the realism, warmth and power of the Ketron SD7 is second to none but it surely does not fit the bill completely. That is why I think it is a worthwhile addition to any (home/studio) set up.

regards,
John

#489469 - 02/17/20 12:11 AM Re: Ketron SD7, how does it sound ? Part two [Re: john smies]
salsaman Offline

Loc: Port Angeles, WA., USA
I just read your post. Listened to the demo. That was one fine demo. The Ketron SD7 sounds wonderful. As usual the drums are exquisite. I heard some incredible lifelike press rolls and snappy snares. Your playing was excellent.... I really enjoyed it. So "live" sounding. I just got back from a local Jam session and you would have really stolen the show. Sounds GREAT!

#489472 - 02/17/20 03:42 AM Re: Ketron SD7, how does it sound ? Part two [Re: john smies]
bruno123 Online   content

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
John, the battle of Ketron and other keyboards was going on during the Technics days; with the same type of comments. I had the opportunity to hear one at that time, it was good, real. I did not buy one because it did not come with a family of other users, like Korg, Yamaha and Technics.

I enjoyed your playing, as usual, a touch of class, John C.

#489489 - 02/17/20 09:23 AM Re: Ketron SD7, how does it sound ? Part two [Re: john smies]
Gerry M Offline

Loc: Sahuarita Arizona
The styles sound alive, like you're there in person listening to the band. Not like my Yamaha PSR S975 which sounds like a CD, adequate, but not realistic and very busy. I'm curious if you had to make any adjustment to the voices or styles, or are the sounds "right out of the box"? It's a shame that Ketron is not aggressively marketing their arrangers. They would do well. If I had the desire and the money I would choose the Ketron over the Genos any day.

My $0.02
Gerry

#489491 - 02/17/20 09:41 AM Re: Ketron SD7, how does it sound ? Part two [Re: Gerry M]
Dnj Offline

CD sound vs Live has always been the issue with many players....
an argument that will never be solved. It's personal preference to what sound your happy with and what you want as a musician are proud of hearing when you play for people or yourself.It's a never ending story.

#489492 - 02/17/20 10:10 AM Re: Ketron SD7, how does it sound ? Part two [Re: john smies]
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
If I did not own what I have (and Roland was not available anymore),
If I needed to buy a current arranger keyboard... it would be an easy choice..
Ketron (as long as my buddy AJ is here smile ). Nothing tops it in sound or quality.

Over the years I have done side by side comparisons, and have listened to
other youtube comparisons.

I have recorded some comparisons and folks (regular non bias folks),
have chose the Ketron sound over every other brand. (even Roland). frown

The only time I can recall a nod for Roland over the SD7, was when I used the
Roland Integra7 (Supernatural acoustic sounds and drums).

Personally there were a few features that I had with the keyboards
I own...that no other brand could do or match, so I would not change. wink

But like I said, If I could only own one and it had to be a new current
arranger keyboard.. Hands down.. it would be a Ketron.

Roland has always been the best innovator when it comes to keyboards..
Ketron has also been good at innovation.

Korg and Yamaha.. not so much, If they didn't have innovation from Roland
they would be way back. If you think I am wrong.. do some research.

#489494 - 02/17/20 10:33 AM Re: Ketron SD7, how does it sound ? Part two [Re: john smies]
john smies Offline

First of all thanks for your replies and words of appreciation.
As Donny recalls, the Live versus CD issue has been discussed at great length here on several occasions. The comments by Fran are definitely worth noticing as I tend to concur with him on all that he says here.
Incidentally it was not my purpose with this demo to emphasize that my Ketron SD7 would be better than another brand, but mainly to illustrate how good and true to life ( that is a live band!) it can sound. And as to your question Gerry, a number of styles being used here had been tweaked by me, not all that many I think and the same goes for the righthand sounds.
As I have said on numerous occasions for a live entertainer this could be a serious contender ( let alone the SD9 which is even superior to this one). Service in the USA by way of AJ is known to be top notch so that is a bonus.
Incidentally these SD arrangers sport Microphone, Vocaliser, Guitar (+ effects), external screen connects etc.etc. you can even watch a movie on it (or screen attached) as they even read MP4 files !! You cannot fry an egg on it though..... rotfl

regards
John

#489504 - 02/17/20 12:18 PM Re: Ketron SD7, how does it sound ? Part two [Re: john smies]
DannyUK Offline

Hi John, yet again another lovely sounding demo and showing off what the SD7 can do as well as your creativity, thank you for sharing it.

There are many comments here that are valued and make great points. I am really enjoying my SD7, I think it has become my favourite keyboard I've owned and I didn't think or expect it to become that!!! I initially got an SD7 to fill in the "gaps" the others didn't quite achieve, but I am finding it's superior in most areas.

I am experimenting with the style modelling feature and it's simply superb, the results can be stunning, how effortlessly you can transform a style to make it sound so different and so new whilst still retaining the high sounding quality you'd think it's just another factory default style.

As you quite rightly mentioned John I have that setup you mentioned of the Ketron Korg and Yamaha combo but now finding out how good the SD7 really is feels like having the three a little too overpowering, I think a combo of the two (SD7 + another) would be the perfect combo.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online