SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#488473 - 02/04/20 10:39 AM Re: What is the Best keyboard Controller ? [Re: DonM]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By DonM
"Best" depends on what you use it for. Piano would be hard to do with organ keys and vice versa.
I liked the old Roland/Edirols because they had 50 or more programmable buttons, sliders and knobs. Plus the light touch that I prefer.

I have tried the controller route many times without success
was just wondering what was new on the market..
I doubt I will go that way again.

#488475 - 02/04/20 10:44 AM Re: What is the Best keyboard Controller ? [Re: Dnj]
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
This Roland feels great, has loads of bells an whistles that make PC generated music a breeze, and will fit on most desktops.
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/...keys-and-8-pads

Attachments
Screen Shot 2020-02-04 at 1.43.27 PM.png

#488479 - 02/04/20 10:57 AM Re: What is the Best keyboard Controller ? [Re: Dnj]
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Originally Posted By Dnj
Originally Posted By cgiles
Originally Posted By Dnj

I'm pretty much bored with it all out there at the moment.

Yeah, we noticed smile. As to controllers, I have three but my all time favorite is my ancient Roland A70; 76 keys, 4 zones, each with midi in/out, all zones are separately programmable, both 'stick' and wheels (which can be used interchangeably), very logical control surface, seperate buttons and dials for each function (no menu diving), clean/clear digital display, and best of all, a great keybed (same as the G70). Oh, almost forgot, a sound card with most of the Roland legacy sounds. I use it in my studio to control 4 different modules. The only 'con' I can think of is no USB midi (shoud you need it), but that's a pretty easy workaround. Good luck finding one, though. Mine is 'chery' having never been out of the studio (like most controllers). BTW, why are you looking for a controller and what do you plan to use it on? Looks like the Tyros 2's shelf life has expired. What's next, player-piano? smile smile
chas

Chas I'll ignore your first sentence....
that said been there done that and yes a great controller
Roland A37 I enjoyed also used on stage many times with a Ketron Midjay great keyfeel too.
Thanx cool2

Donny no comparison A37 with an A70.. A37 is a basic "get by" 76 key controller with no features.
A70 is one of the best controllers ..ever. The High end Roland "A" controllers were leaders and can hold there own on stage or in your bedroom.

#488482 - 02/04/20 11:22 AM Re: What is the Best keyboard Controller ? [Re: Dnj]
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Thanks Fran. I just didn't want to correct/confront Donny as he's very sensitive smile. Part of his charm (I use the term loosely smile ) is his total disregard for detail smile. It's so boring to read a post to the end and absorb it before responding to it smile. But hey, we love him anyway, right. Right?

chas

Edited by cgiles (02/04/20 11:23 AM)

#488493 - 02/04/20 01:03 PM Re: What is the Best keyboard Controller ? [Re: Dnj]
zuki Offline

Originally Posted By Dnj
Originally Posted By abacus
Depends what you want to use it for, there is no one size fits all.

Bill

Thank you gives me something to think about.

LOL - now that's funny smile

Studio: Korg PA4X/Yamaha DGX670/Boss BR900CD/Tascam DP24SD/MTM Iloud/Sony C80/AGK 214/K&M stand

#488500 - 02/04/20 01:47 PM Re: What is the Best keyboard Controller ? [Re: Dnj]
Bachus Offline

Originally Posted By Dnj
Originally Posted By DonM
"Best" depends on what you use it for. Piano would be hard to do with organ keys and vice versa.
I liked the old Roland/Edirols because they had 50 or more programmable buttons, sliders and knobs. Plus the light touch that I prefer.

I have tried the controller route many times without success
was just wondering what was new on the market..
I doubt I will go that way again.

I dont think there is any true controller that fits the arranger olayers prefered workflow....

You want to use it to controll a module?
Its best to use the knobs on the module then,,

And if you choose a module?
Why not add a keyboard with onboard sounds,..

Thats where the nord stage 3 comes in.. it has 2 zones for external instruments
Program one for right, the other for left sounds..

Another option is any of the big 3 workstations..
Fantom, kronos or montage,,, or even modx..
But they are less flexible then the nord stage 3 compact with a module

Dont try to controll the module with a masterkeyboard..
This will not really work,..
Just place the module where you can conveniently controll it

http://keyszone.boards.net

#488504 - 02/04/20 01:53 PM Re: What is the Best keyboard Controller ? [Re: Bachus]
Dnj Offline

Thank you all for the great info and replies surly something to think about.Just maybe styles aren't the answer anymore..
we'll see....

Edited by Dnj (02/04/20 01:53 PM)

#488523 - 02/04/20 04:25 PM Re: What is the Best keyboard Controller ? [Re: Dnj]
sparky589 Offline

Loc: NJ
Donny, I believe Deane used the Roland A- 800 quite a while with his modules and always liked it. You may want to reach out to him.

#488526 - 02/04/20 04:38 PM Re: What is the Best keyboard Controller ? [Re: Dnj]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
I had excellent results controlling both BK7m and SD40 with the Roland 800 pro. You can access things that you can't even do directly from the modules. Programming takes a while, but a special free app comes with it to help.

#488535 - 02/04/20 07:19 PM Re: What is the Best keyboard Controller ? [Re: Dnj]
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Full featured controllers are a real time saver when you program them to compliment your DAW. I use the AKAI MPK 249, and I LOVE it. The knobs, sliders, and pads can trigger almost ANYTHING MIDI can read. I draw EQ curves, transmit CC changes, operate transport controls - and, of course, it plays all the on board sounds in the computer, as well as outboard midi gear. 2 Thumbs up!

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/MPK249--akai-professional-mpk249-keyboard-controller

Attachments
Screen Shot 2020-02-04 at 10.16.47 PM.png

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online