SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#489277 - 02/14/20 08:45 AM EA-7 followup
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
If you're following my test drive with the EA-7, you now know that it's been retired to my studio. On the job, it fell short in a few ways that are important to me, but probably not so much to most players. (I am an odd duck, for sure)
Here are the main reasons I won't be using it as my primary piece:

1) the sound - I generally like Roland sounds, but except for the default grand piano, I did not warm up to any other sounds in the board. They failed to cut through the mix, and sounded a little lackluster. I was especially disappointed with the EPs - an area in which Roland generally shines.

2) the screens - I can't say enough about how life became easier with touch screens, and to go backwards just isn't fun for me. These screens are TOO SMALL

3) the keys - I actually LIKE the firm feel of the keybed, but the travel distance, and the size seems to make for an uncomfortable feeling after a few hours. Maybe I'm just used to something different, but I don't feel the same on the Korgs, or Yamahas.

These re the main reasons that I made the decision to switch back to the SX900, and after just one night, I'm certain that I made the right choice. The SX is by no means my dream machine, but it sounds great, and does what I need it to ... for now.
This means that the EA is definitely for sale, but as I said before - it serves a purpose in the studio as well. I just want something different as a sound source compliment to my SV-1 ... anyone have any trade ideas - I'm open.

If anyone has the new RED PA700 - call me .... let's talk.
dance2

#489279 - 02/14/20 08:46 AM Re: EA-7 followup [Re: Uncle Dave]
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Oh ... forgot to say - "Back to you, Fran"
(major rebuttal expected)
duel

#489287 - 02/14/20 10:21 AM Re: EA-7 followup [Re: Uncle Dave]
montunoman Offline

Loc: Dallas, Texas
Originally Posted By Uncle Dave
Oh ... forgot to say - "Back to you, Fran"