confused2

Edited by Dnj (01/20/20 06:52 AM)

#487323 - 01/20/20 09:44 AM Re: Jazz Theory Explained in 20 Minutes [Re: Dnj]
Dnj Offline

jazz Theory is deep how many of you arranger players
incorporate this in your music..?

#487338 - 01/20/20 12:00 PM Re: Jazz Theory Explained in 20 Minutes [Re: Dnj]
Crossover Offline

Thank you, I saved the video. One of my projects to improve my jazz skills...

#487339 - 01/20/20 12:05 PM Re: Jazz Theory Explained in 20 Minutes [Re: Dnj]
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
This is pretty basic stuff. The question is; how do arranger styles respond to more advanced chord voicings? Does the bass pattern change? Does the pattern itself change....each variation? Is it a predictable change? Playing an 'exotic' chord on an arranger may not produce the same effect/feeling/emotion as playing the same chord on piano (or organ or guitar, for instance). It would depend on how the chord was interpreted and used to produce a particular pattern. Of course, one could attempt to create the desired effect by playing the more sophisticated chord with the right hand on top of the more basic pattern produced by the left hand. A skilled arranger player could certainly utilize the techniques in this video to make his arrangement(s) sound more 'professional'. I pose these questions only because I don't know the answers. My last arranger was (is) the PA1x Pro and I'm sure the AI driving chord recognition/interpretation/implementation has been greatly enhanced since that time.

So, to Donny's question, "how many of you arranger players
incorporate this in your music..?".

chas

#487341 - 01/20/20 12:21 PM Re: Jazz Theory Explained in 20 Minutes [Re: cgiles]
Dnj Offline

All good points Chas,....I would also like to ask can this type of theory be used in other genres of music besides jazz too.
It is so nice to listen to melodic structure by just adding certain notes to your playing aside from just the basics and know what your doing and how to use them correctly..

#487352 - 01/20/20 01:42 PM Re: Jazz Theory Explained in 20 Minutes [Re: cgiles]
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Originally Posted By cgiles
This is pretty basic stuff. The question is; how do arranger styles respond to more advanced chord voicings? Does the bass pattern change? Does the pattern itself change....each variation? Is it a predictable change? Playing an 'exotic' chord on an arranger may not produce the same effect/feeling/emotion as playing the same chord on piano (or organ or guitar, for instance). It would depend on how the chord was interpreted and used to produce a particular pattern. Of course, one could attempt to create the desired effect by playing the more sophisticated chord with the right hand on top of the more basic pattern produced by the left hand. A skilled arranger player could certainly utilize the techniques in this video to make his arrangement(s) sound more 'professional'. I pose these questions only because I don't know the answers. My last arranger was (is) the PA1x Pro and I'm sure the AI driving chord recognition/interpretation/implementation has been greatly enhanced since that time.

chas

Hi Chas,
Supposedly arrangers can play the more complex chords according to the data in the manuals.

One good thing with korgs at least, if one really needed the keyboard to play complex chords and have a different bass or piano pattern depending on the type of chord played, a style can be recorded or edited to do it.
You can have up to 6 cv’s ie one pattern would play if you play major chords , another one for minor chords, a different one again for diminished chords another one for augmented chords etc up to 6.
Don’t think I ever came across a style that used all 6 cv’s , but can be done.

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#487353 - 01/20/20 02:00 PM Re: Jazz Theory Explained in 20 Minutes [Re: Dnj]
montunoman Offline

Loc: Dallas, Texas
Originally Posted By Dnj
All good points Chas,....I would also like to ask can this type of theory be used in other genres of music besides jazz too.
I

Absolutely! I think most the top session musicians that are recording all sorts of popular music can also play jazz well. Most of those highly in demand studio players paid their dues
learning jazz. All The knowledge of chords, voicing, chord progressions, and improve carries over into other generas as well.

www.youtube.com/channel/UCV94i--V-A8kZShmGTKyDOw

https://www.facebook.com/elgrupocache

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online