SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#486994 - 01/16/20 09:32 PM O.T. Probably not just Country
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Yeah, probably belongs in the Bar but it caught my eye because I've been sort of a fan of Kelsea Ballerini every since I saw her do that duo with jazz piano prodigy Joey Alexander doing 'Some Day My Prince Will Come'. It was magical. But as to the article: I know a lot of you are Country music aficionados and I was wondering if YOU've noticed this pattern on Country music stations. If it's true, I'm sure it's probably also true for other genre's as well. Pity, hope someday we'll get beyond that but here's my question: Do you think the (radio) audience really cares? IOW, is there any good COMMERCIAL reason for this kind of bias (or just a stupid 'blast from the past')? Your thoughts?

https://www.msn.com/en-us/entertainment/...2fLv?li=BBnbfcL

chas

#486996 - 01/16/20 09:52 PM Re: O.T. Probably not just Country [Re: cgiles]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
I don't listen to "modern" country music radio. In fact I seldom listen to any radio. When I do it's classic rock or classic country.
My classic country station played an entire Patsy Cline album one day. Not sure what there normal programming policy is, but I am very certain it is all done at the local level, from a "service" somewhere.

#487013 - 01/17/20 06:32 AM Re: O.T. Probably not just Country [Re: cgiles]
Jerryghr Offline

Loc: Buffalo, NY
Check out tomato-gate

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tomato-gate

Jerryghr

#487015 - 01/17/20 06:41 AM Re: O.T. Probably not just Country [Re: cgiles]
Dnj Offline

IMO today's so called modern country is just rock music with a country twang to it....
they have been drifting far away from traditional country....
but they don't care it's all about money to fill venues.
I'll take the "classic old country tunes" by the great artists any day.

#487027 - 01/17/20 07:50 AM Re: O.T. Probably not just Country [Re: cgiles]
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
If it's true, it's Bull Sh**, and it's sexist.

#487028 - 01/17/20 07:54 AM Re: O.T. Probably not just Country [Re: DonM]
W Tracy Parnell Offline

Loc: NY
Originally Posted By DonM
I don't listen to "modern" country music radio. In fact I seldom listen to any radio. When I do it's classic rock or classic country.
My classic country station played an entire Patsy Cline album one day. Not sure what there normal programming policy is, but I am very certain it is all done at the local level, from a "service" somewhere.

What he said. smile

#487042 - 01/17/20 09:34 AM Re: O.T. Probably not just Country [Re: Dnj]
124 Offline

Originally Posted By Dnj
IMO today's so called modern country is just rock music with a country twang to it....
they have been drifting far away from traditional country....
but they don't care it's all about money to fill venues.
I'll take the "classic old country tunes" by the great artists any day.

And what he said. smile

#487052 - 01/17/20 10:08 AM Re: O.T. Probably not just Country [Re: cgiles]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
From my perspective, country music has been transitioning since I was a 12-year-old kid listening to Tex Ritter, Gene Autry, Patsy Cline, and a host of others. While that transition has been slow, it seemed to almost stop during the 1980s, which was just fine with me while listening to George Jones, Whalen Jennings, Marty Robbins, Dottie West, John Denver, Roy Clark and my favorite, Glenn Campbell. From that point on, it appeared that country music had taken a new twist, mimicked early rock and roll, but the singers, both male and female, all seemed to follow the same lead. To me, this was not true country music, but I could be wrong, of course.

As for the ladies not getting fair coverage by the radio stations, yep, no doubt about it, but if you look at the ratio of male to female country, they probably get a much higher percentage of coverage than the ratio would call for. As for a lot of male singers that pretty much all sound the same, yep, that's the case with today's modern country singers - they all sound the same, and every song, to me, sounds pretty much the same as well. I sincerely believe that's why I was able to work as much as I wanted in the Florida Keys, while the have guitar will travel guys, with few exceptions, were lucky to perform one night a week, and they pulled down a whopping $75 for a 4-hour performance.

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#487095 - 01/17/20 02:59 PM Re: O.T. Probably not just Country [Re: cgiles]
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Don and Gary, I don't follow Country music that much, 'modern' or otherwise, which is probably why I don't know this guy...but I do now. I was sitting on my couch during a terrible rainstorm (the one that just tore through much of the South). On a whim, I asked my Echo Show 8 (recent gift from my son) to play 'Rainy Night in Georgia', expecting to hear the Brook Benton version. What played was this (Amazon Music) version by Cliff Young. I listened to it anyway and was very pleasantly surprised. This guy has 'the goods'. I like most types of music IF IT'S GOOD, and I thought THIS was excellent. But I'm no expert on what is or is not good in Country music so I thought I'd ask someone whose opinions I respect on the subject. So what do you think? Good or No Good (or somewhere in-between? I just want to know if I can sniff out the 'good stuff' or if I'm just being manipulated by SUPER production.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g3ttyxrkpNI&list=TLPQMTMwMTIwMjDgBwnAoQbzTw&index=1

chas

#487114 - 01/17/20 07:13 PM Re: O.T. Probably not just Country [Re: cgiles]
124 Offline

Standard stuff, a lot of 'warbling' going on. Sounds like a lot of other modern country singers to me.

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online