SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#48564 - 04/03/07 12:01 PM Style Versus PAD
dpeisic Offline

Loc: San Deigo, Ca, USA
Dear all,

Regarding Style versus PAD, it is a very fascinating feature, and great asset.

I have the following questions:

1. Is every Style has its own PAD assign to it?

2. Can I separately load a style and separately load a PAD?

3. Is the PAD recording very similar to the Style recording?

My understanding that every PAD has to somewhat match the flavor of the style itself.

I will be very happy to hear more about the PAD uses, and PAD appreciation.

With harmony always,
Doron Peisic

#48565 - 04/03/07 04:06 PM Re: Style Versus PAD
Bill Norrie Offline

Loc: North Yorkshire UK
Hi Doran,

Some answers to your questions :

1. Is every Style has its own PAD assign to it?
Loading a Style does not necessarily also load a set of Performance Pads. Styles on Disk or SD Card, can sometimes have Pads associated with them but it all depends if they were saved together on Disk or SD Card. Look at Page 2 on the Load function and if 'Performance Pads' are selected within the File components, then Pads will be loaded along with the selected Style. These pads could be KN7000 internal versions or User Pads transferred from Disk/SD Card.
Having selected your Style, either from disk, SD Card or KN7000 built-in styles, you can also select an appropriate set of Performance Pads from the built-in selection of Pads.
Some of the 'One Touch Play' options and the 'Music Stylist' settings, will also automatically load a set of appropriate Built-In Performance Pads.

2. Can I separately load a style and separately load a PAD?
Yes! Choose the Style to load from Disk, SD Card or even one of the built-in styles. Then assuming you know where the Performance Pads are located on Disk or SD Card, during the Load procedure, go to Page 2 and turn off all file components except the Performance Pads. Then press Load and the Pads will be transferred to the KN7000.
Alternatively, having loaded your Style, you can choose one of the built-in Pad selections - this will not affect any other current settings on the KN7000.

3. Is the PAD recording very similar to the Style recording?
In some ways, Yes. Generally, Pads 1 through 4 can be 'Single Shot' - that is they play their content through once and then stop. Alternatively, they can be a 'Loop', similar to a Style, depending on how the particular Pad was configured during recording. These pads generally follow the chord being played in the Left hand.
Pads 5 and 6 are often recorded more like a 'Mini Sequence', and are normally used to produce a brief 'solo' performance, up to 16 bars. The general convention is to have Pad 5 play in a Major key and Pad 6 play in a Minor key. You should not change the Left hand chord during playing of Pads 5 or 6 - unless you want some very strange effects
There is a limitation when recording Performance Pads - You can only record two voices (tracks) in any one pad, whereas in the Styles, you can record up to eight tracks. You can also use any of the Drum kits in the pads to produce a complete 16 bar drum solo if you wish and you can include any of the available Sound effects.
Performance Pads can be created from several sources : Real time playing from scratch, Step time entry, copying part of an existing Sequence or part of a MIDI file.

My understanding that every PAD has to somewhat match the flavor of the style itself.
That would be sensible You wouldn't really want a Trumpet blast in the middle of a gentle piano ballad

There is much more information about recording your own Performance Pads in the KN7000 User Manual (Page 68 onward) and also in Alec's 'How Do I Do That' extended manual.

------------------
Willum

After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is Music.
Aldous Huxley

[This message has been edited by Bill Norrie (edited 04-03-2007).]

After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is Music.
Aldous Huxley
( especially when the music is played on a KN7000....)

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online