SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#485344 - 12/29/19 05:37 PM Re: Hidden Voices Sx900 [Re: rikkisbears]
bruno123 Online   content

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
Rikki, thank for the find, you really dig in. (smile)
Bernie, my thoughts are from the Technic days when GM voice were not a good choice. And, you are right, we should be given a choice.

Let me share my game plan:
1-I accept everything on the Sx900 as is, for now.
2-Match songs with styles, save them to Regs. Eight songs to one bank.
3-Studied, in depth, what and how the Regs saves things.
The ideal band for a song like Misty is not used for Rock Around the Clock. The instrumentation is not only different, the instruments sound different. With that in mind I am creating an ideal band for different types of music, one bank of 8 regs. for each style of music.

1-Reg #1 saves, style, tempo, Rt1,2,3, left hand, and whatever I feel is important.
2-Regs #2 thru #8 one of the ideal bands I created. Regs #2 thru #8 only save instruments, volumes, Variations, no style or tempo. The Reg #1 sets me up, and I can use my ideal band. #2 thru #8.
Procedure: Select the ideal band, then create the #1 reg (Song, style, tempo, ect.

Variation:
1-Reg #2 thru #8 can be used to select a style which compliments the first style.
2-Reg #1 may select the intro. Reg #8 may select the ending. Reg #8 is the strongest band sound.

I have not found way to save the left hand without including the style in saving.

I am open to any ideas which can help and improve game plan.
John C.

#485347 - 12/29/19 06:32 PM Re: Hidden Voices Sx900 [Re: rikkisbears]
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
"Bernie, my thoughts are from the Technic days when GM voice were not a good choice. And, you are right, we should be given a choice."

Quote from John

John there is a reason why Roland always was superior for GM playback.
Roland was the original sound designer for GM sounds. Other manufacturers tried to duplicate the banks as best they could.. many were done with a lot to be desired.

That is why changing to Technics better tones helped same with Korg and Yamaha..

Today most keyboards have fine tuned their GM bank to sound closer to the GM sounds.

My point... don't blame the GM tones... blame your choice of manufacturers interpretation of GM bank grin

#485349 - 12/29/19 07:33 PM Re: Hidden Voices Sx900 [Re: bruno123]
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Originally Posted By bruno123

The ideal band for a song like Misty is not used for Rock Around the Clock. The instrumentation is not only different, the instruments sound different. With that in mind I am creating an ideal band for different types of music, one bank of 8 regs. for each style of music.

John, that is certainly one way to look at it, but I try to relate to a live situation that I'm familiar with - like when I was in 4-5+ pc bands. The same band had to play both Misty, and Rock around the Clock, and our playing style was mostly all that changed - we used the same drum kit, same bass player etc. I like the consistency of hearing a tight core ensemble, backing up a strong vocal(s), and playing the songs with a little bit of the "flavor" of the performer ... to add a personal touch.
My go to ensemble is: Piano/Rhodes/Organ-bass-guitar-drums-and either a sax (solo, or section) sound, and a brass sound. These were all the staples I had when we were in bands years ago, and had basic synths to add some color to the sound. Of course, I'll add a few other sounds because they're available, but my basic (band) unit travels with me from genre to genre.
I'm not trying to start trouble, but it's not likely that you saw Johnny Mathis and The Comets, on stage together, playing those two selections you mentioned, is it?
smile
You made all good points, but I wanted to add a different perspective ... just for fun. Happy New Year!

#485355 - 12/30/19 03:10 AM Re: Hidden Voices Sx900 [Re: bruno123]
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia

1-Reg #1 saves, style, tempo, Rt1,2,3, left hand, and whatever I feel is important.
2-Regs #2 thru #8 one of the ideal bands I created. Regs #2 thru #8 only save instruments, volumes, Variations, no style or tempo. The Reg #1 sets me up, and I can use my ideal band. #2 thru #8.
Procedure: Select the ideal band, then create the #1 reg (Song, style, tempo, ect.

Variation:
1-Reg #2 thru #8 can be used to select a style which compliments the first style.
2-Reg #1 may select the intro. Reg #8 may select the ending. Reg #8 is the strongest band sound.

I have not found way to save the left hand without including the style in saving.

I am open to any ideas which can help and improve game plan.
John C.

Hi John ,
I had a look too, but couldn’t get left hand to save without saving style,
Have you asked on Yamaha forum?

I’m just basically setting my songs up individually because I need to use the Registration Sequence function and pedal to walk me thru the registrations for a song when I use my p121 as controller. I can’t reach the buttons to press them, using the pedal works really well.
So basically , 1 song , up to 8 registrations.

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#485356 - 12/30/19 03:54 AM Re: Hidden Voices Sx900 [Re: Uncle Dave]

Dave, your thoughts are more than welcome, if this post was filled with just John’s thoughts it would be boring. I am a home player, and that makes a big difference in my set up. I, like you, had a band that could play Misty, and go to Johnny B Good. Being a home player gives me the advantage of creating what I call, the ideal band.

Live situation: Johnny B Good -- Misty
The sax player has a rough growling sound for Johnny B Good. For Misty the sax mellow sound with some vibrato.
The guitar, which I know the most about, normally has a Fender guitar – a solid body with the ability to cut through the rest of the band. Misty, a hollow body guitar with a mellow tone – a rich sound. Mine guitar was a D’Aquesto guitar.

Now here is one thing that is very difficult to change, what kind of music did I grow up with. I do a great Misty, and just about fair Johnny B Good.

Dave, you have the ability to be more than a gentleman, I like you that way, it fits you better.

Have a great healthy, prosperous, New Year, John C.

#485362 - 12/30/19 07:14 AM Re: Hidden Voices Sx900 [Re: rikkisbears]
Bernie9 Offline

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
These two threads have me re-thinkng my band structure. As Dave was saying, the band can do either,maybe with different leads. John is saying he,as a home player,can structure his band more to his liking,and maybe more authentic.

I have to admit being more in the Uncle Dave camp. However, I don't have the excuse of being too busy,as I play out two or three times a week. I am going to try and send this tired old suit to the cleaners,and see what happens with my new Baby Genos.

#485364 - 12/30/19 07:33 AM Re: Hidden Voices Sx900 [Re: rikkisbears]
Dnj Offline

1reg....4 OTs only for me each song..

#485465 - 12/31/19 10:09 AM Re: Hidden Voices Sx900 [Re: Dnj]

Donny, when you use OTS, they change RT1,2,3 voices and their volumes. If you are satisfied with that, good for you.

Me, I need more control. like the variations, muting parts of the styles, the left hand, Multi Pads, and a lot more.

Just my opinion, John C.

#485469 - 12/31/19 10:32 AM Re: Hidden Voices Sx900 [Re: bruno123]
Dnj Offline

Donny, when you use OTS, they change RT1,2,3 voices and their volumes. If you are satisfied with that, good for you.

Me, I need more control. like the variations, muting parts of the styles, the left hand, Multi Pads, and a lot more.

Just my opinion, John C.

John all my OTS sounds are tweaked and re-saved into the style itself so when I hit them they are perfect!....
you have to do your homework on EACH STYLE COMPLETELY
style creator is very efficient also for certain things...
when playing live especially...less is more I say..

Happy New Year.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online