SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#48532 - 03/15/02 02:58 PM File Conversion Problem
Bill Norrie Offline

Loc: North Yorkshire UK
Hi Everyone,
I'm trying to convert a KN2000 Composer file which I have on floppy, to another format using EMC Styleworks. However, the filenames are not recognised by the program. When I look at the filenames on the disc using Win Explorer,or DOS, the filenames also make no sense at all!
The names are mainly composed of graphic characters ( _/|_O|_o.| |ü and A!|CA|_o.|Gü )
I can't do anything with these files like zip, rename, copy or any other manipulation but - they do load into my KN6000 and then operate OK and show sensible names on the KN6000 screen. Another strange thing is that some of the files are reporting to be over 3 Megabytes on a 1.44 Mb Floppy !!
Has anyone any ideas ?

------------------
Willum

After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is Music.
Aldous Huxley
( especially when the music is played on a KN7000....)

#48533 - 03/15/02 03:12 PM Re: File Conversion Problem
technicsplayer Offline

Hi Bill,
the 2000 had a DD disk drive designed for 720kB floppies. It was quite possible to use HD disks by formatting them in the 2000, but they would be formatted as DD with the extra hole telling your pc they were HD disks. This is why you see unreadable rubbish on the pc.

If you have EMC try the System / Check Format command. I have not tried this for this particular problem, since I sorted this problem many years ago when I got the 3000. It might just work, though not designed exactly to solve this particular scenario. It is designed to reformat KN800/1000 disk drive disks which were not formatted in the latest versions of dos at the time.

If it does not work, just resave the files in the 6000. Editing in EMC will not be possible then though.

#48534 - 03/15/02 03:23 PM Re: File Conversion Problem
Gunnar Jonny Offline

Loc: Norway
The disk check by EMC will work fine.
GJ
"Success is not counted by how high you have climbed
but by how many you brought with you." (Wil Rose)

#48535 - 03/15/02 03:27 PM Re: File Conversion Problem
technicsplayer Offline

thanks Gunnar,
I had no old format source material to be able to check it out.

#48536 - 03/16/02 01:41 AM Re: File Conversion Problem
Bill Norrie Offline

Loc: North Yorkshire UK
Hi Alec and Gunnar, Thanks for your comments - much appreciated. I tried out your suggestions but got nowhere but have solved the problem thanks to your comment about the disc possibly being DD (Gave me a kick in the old grey matter) It would not read correctly in my laptop drive and then I thought "..Wonder if it will read in my desktop PC..?" tried it and Voila! all the files appeared as normal ! Obviously, my desktop A: drive can cope with DD discs OK but the laptop won't (The day was not wasted - I learned somthing )
So I copied the files from the DD floppy to my hard drive, for archive, and then transferred them to a HD floppy. Laptop now reads them OK so I can send them to my friend. Once again, thanks for giving me a push in the right direction.

------------------
Willum

[This message has been edited by Bill Norrie (edited 03-16-2002).]

After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is Music.
Aldous Huxley
( especially when the music is played on a KN7000....)

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online