SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#48431 - 06/12/02 10:20 PM Re: I did buy the Yamaha PSR 9000 not the PRO
BEBOP Offline

Loc: San Jose, California
Thank you EVERYONE
I am blessed to have so many good friends. My fondest regards to each and everyone of you members on this fine forum.
Bebop

#48432 - 06/13/02 07:47 AM Re: I did buy the Yamaha PSR 9000 not the PRO
BEBOP Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Nigel:
I second Tony's hope that you, BEPOP never leave the forum. As I am not a Technics owner you can provide much better advice than me. Your 20 for 1 project has been a great success. And it is your input combined with all the Technics members' input that has help make this forum come to life after being so quiet for so long. I have sold instruments over the years but have always regretted it. Even though I'd be happy with their replacements there would be something about the keyboard or guitar I sold that I would never get back. So I decided to keep all my instruments when possible especially keyboards that lose value quickly and don't even return a substantial amount when sold. I think no matter how much you enjoy your new keyboard you will be glad you held onto your Technics keyboard.

NIGEL
I truly appreciate that vote of confidence. thank you for your kind words
I am keeping my KN6000. I might also buy the kn7000. I now have 10 keyboards in the studio once more. I did sell the KN3000 to a NUN Sister in Holyoke, Mass but only because she needed it worse then I did and it was so similiar to the KN6.
BEBOP

#48433 - 06/13/02 09:27 AM Re: I did buy the Yamaha PSR 9000 not the PRO
Gunnar Jonny Online   content

Loc: Norway
[QUOTE]Originally posted by BEBOP:
... I did sell the KN3000 to a NUN Sister in Holyoke, Mass but only because she needed it worse then I did and it was so similiar to the KN6.
QUOTE]

Bebop, do you by a accident mix up anything here, or do you really mean that the KN3000 and KN6000 is so similiar ????
GJ
"Success is not counted by how high you have climbed
but by how many you brought with you." (Wil Rose)

#48434 - 06/13/02 10:54 AM Re: I did buy the Yamaha PSR 9000 not the PRO
BEBOP Offline

Yes GJ, I found that the Kn6 duplicated about everything the kn3 did with one major difference. The hard drive in the kn3 was great and worked fine and installed in two minutes. I had thought at the time the hard drive for the K6 would be quick and easy also. Well, as most know it did not work and of course the tech manager did not either and the dealer was kind enough to accept return for full refund. I WILL have TWO hard drives on the Yamaha 9000. One inside and one on the scsi chain outside, as well as a zip drive and a CDRW drive, etc.
Incidently I got the the hard drive for the Kn3 from Helsinki for 75.00 delivered :-)The hard drive and tech manager for the KN6 was 800.00 for a 2 gig ? and DEAD ON ARRIVAL. I was told that one out of three for the kn6 were defective and returned. I also wonder if anyone other then our Guru's ever got the tech manager to work properly?
Incidently the hard drive for the 9000 is under 100.00 for 8 gig and all the software is already there for it.
Bebop

#48435 - 06/13/02 01:04 PM Re: I did buy the Yamaha PSR 9000 not the PRO
Gunnar Jonny Online   content

Loc: Norway
Bebop,
I think that if you look at the other brands, you'll see that new
models duplicate about everything from earlier models, and also add
and updates a lot of functions as well.
The similiarity between the PSR7000 and 9000 is huge too, does that
make the same conclutions that you use for Technics then?

Again, it's probably even more personal related than I could imagine,
because when I upgraded from KN3000 to KN5000, I've found quite a lot
of differences in many ways. It's easy to see just by comparing the
manuals, and the next step up to KN6 add even more.
I'm sorry about your HD and Techmanager trouble, and even that I'm not
a "Guru", the HD and software for my KN5 have never made any trouble
for me, it worked when I got it, and still do.

Yes, I know there has been (and probably still are) someone who have
problems regarding the KN6 HD's and Techmanager, and regarding the high
price level, most everyone will agree with you, but I also know people
who has/had big problems with the Yamaha HD's, (just look back into
some of the SZ posts), does that make all the users who get the HD's work
on Yamaha to "Guru's" as well?
I only whish when this matters is a topic, that the discussion would be
more fair, not only praised or banned in black and white regarding to the
very personal mood when we either being exited when we get any new
equipment, or something goes or went wrong.
GJ
"Success is not counted by how high you have climbed
but by how many you brought with you." (Wil Rose)

#48436 - 06/13/02 01:45 PM Re: I did buy the Yamaha PSR 9000 not the PRO
technicsplayer Offline

I'd like to see you use a cdrw with the 9000 because it is entirely impossible....
And the idea of using a zip drive when you already have 2 hard drives is also quite amusing for anyone with any real experience of these things.

If the hard drive for your 6000 did not work I fail to see how you can state here that the techmanager failed to work, since without a working hard drive you have no way of knowing whether the techmanager worked or not.

Without any appreciation of how the techmanager worked you are attempting to compare a 6000 system with pc communication to 9000 one without, so this is also misleading.

I know its easy to get carried away with enthusiasm for a new toy but it is not neccessary to exagerate beyond the facts, thereby giving a false impression to other readers of the forum.

If you can't see that much difference between a kn3000 and kn6000 there must be any number of boards out there you can be satisfied with...

#48437 - 06/13/02 03:27 PM Re: I did buy the Yamaha PSR 9000 not the PRO
Walt Tenay Offline

Loc: Rutherfordton, NC
Hi Bebop

I must concur with Alec in regard to the hard drive. Wh-oh-why does everyone compare this to a hard drive like your pc or one similar to what is used on the Yamaha and other brands. This is not the same, never was and someday the message will get through for all
that continue to complain about the cost compared to a hard drive you buy at Best Buys
or Circuit City or your friendly computer store.

Lets have a contest, I'll use my hard drive with over 1500 midi files a zillion styles and sounds arranged by name, title, nummerical, directory, alphabet, custom load script, juke box. You use your $100.00 hard drive. By time you look up your song or style, have it loaded and ready to play I'll be playing my last song before my break. Oh yes I can also output any track or automatic part independently and adjust that sound in my mixer through my hard drive, plus alot of other neat stuff!!. Altho you may not use this hard drive in the same manner, please don't knock it if you haven't tried it.

It certainly was unfortunate that you received a defective unit - but stuff happens. Just for the record I hope you will enjoy your Yamaha 9000. Its always exciting to get new "stuff"

Of course you know that Technics keyboards
were never introduced as a pro keyboard and
were never and still not intended to compete with the pro line out there now.

I dont know how that title came about and people started comparing the Technics keyboard line to all the pro models out there

It was originally marketed as a addition for people who were into home organs and needed something to take along with them during their travels. This is one of the reasons
you will not find them in a Musician Friend
or Z sounds or MARS music. They have always
been promoted in the Piano Organ Retail stores and most likely will continue to be
marketed that way.

It just so happens that Technics always had great features and more and more professional players started using them and they became more accepted and as the home market grew in general so did the keyboard industry.

Technics being one of those that developed some neat features that were present in their home organ line.

There is a fine line developing on what is considered a "pro model" as compared to the home hobby market.

Its all a matter of I guess how you play and what you are looking for, and how you use the
instrument. All in all - there all good and have special features for everyone but you must compare apples to apples for praising
and negativity.

Regards,

Walt
Quote:
Originally posted by BEBOP:
Yes GJ, I found that the Kn6 duplicated about everything the kn3 did with one major difference. The hard drive in the kn3 was great and worked fine and installed in two minutes. I had thought at the time the hard drive for the K6 would be quick and easy also. Well, as most know it did not work and of course the tech manager did not either and the dealer was kind enough to accept return for full refund. I WILL have TWO hard drives on the Yamaha 9000. One inside and one on the scsi chain outside, as well as a zip drive and a CDRW drive, etc.
Incidently I got the the hard drive for the Kn3 from Helsinki for 75.00 delivered :-)The hard drive and tech manager for the KN6 was 800.00 for a 2 gig ? and DEAD ON ARRIVAL. I was told that one out of three for the kn6 were defective and returned. I also wonder if anyone other then our Guru's ever got the tech manager to work properly?
Incidently the hard drive for the 9000 is under 100.00 for 8 gig and all the software is already there for it.
Bebop

#48438 - 06/13/02 04:38 PM Re: I did buy the Yamaha PSR 9000 not the PRO
rgtaa Offline

Walt!
I wouldn't knock the speed of access in the prs9000 hard drive!

When I turn mine on it automactically loads 1250 midi songs in 5 Banks ...giving name of songs 10 to a Page in BIG PRINT, easy on the eyes (my midi's also have full lryics displayed and can be also be viewed on monitor or tv screen if i wish)

Also loaded on STARTUP 250 Direct Access styles from hard drive and 120 flash styles in addition to factory ones!

Also loaded on STARTUP 500 registrations (one touch settings) that call up songs by name ,or type 8 to a page.

And finally 500 database Songs ,that can be arranged by tempo,style,gender,ect!

So the speed is fast with the hard drive... so your speed comparsion is alittle off IMO!

Of course i can also load a directory of 250 sytles or midi's into a Bank in addition to STARTUP!

And on main screen I can control all volumes to parts,ect! And I have 4 outputs that can each play seperate parts, one speaker plays the bass, another drums,ect!
The mixing panel on prs9000 is very complete ... sounds like the technics is too!

Walt writes:
Lets have a contest, I'll use my hard drive with over 1500 midi files a zillion styles and sounds arranged by name, title, nummerical, directory, alphabet, custom load script, juke box. You use your $100.00 hard drive. By time you look up your song or style, have it loaded and ready to play I'll be playing my last song before my break. Oh yes I can also output any track or automatic part independently and adjust that sound in my mixer through my hard drive, plus alot of other neat stuff!!. Altho you may not use this hard drive in the same manner, please don't knock it if you haven't tried it.

[This message has been edited by rgtaa (edited 06-13-2002).]

#48439 - 06/13/02 06:30 PM Re: I did buy the Yamaha PSR 9000 not the PRO
lahawk Offline

Loc: Lehigh Valley, Pa.
I like to use this anology . Technics is a Toyota , a very nice car , while Yamaha is a Lexus ...an Automotive Masterpiece.

Trouble is I've got a Hyundai budget

Larry Hawk

[This message has been edited by lahawk (edited 06-13-2002).]

Hawk Music
Sadly No More frown

♫ 🎹🎹 ♫ SX-900

#48440 - 06/13/02 07:53 PM Re: I did buy the Yamaha PSR 9000 not the PRO
Mike Daniell Offline

Loc: Brisbane, Qld, Australia
Let's not digress into comparing cars! Don't you dare compare Technics to ToyMotor

Anyway, I'm very satisfied with my KN6000, but I do not have a hard disk and that was my next 'wish list' item. But with the KN7000 providing a 512Mb SD memory card and the promise of a better file manager, I've decided to wait and see how this board performs and sounds.

I haven't seen or heard a PSR9000, but I do know that my KN6000 is a great instrument. One of the most rewarding experiences I have had playing the keyboard was when I was playing before a small group (20-30 people) and looked up from my keyboard to see the MC staring at me wide-eyed and open mouthed (literally!). After the performance she was full of praise for my playing. The great thing with these top-end keyboards is that you don't only play, you also 'arrange', and draw on the talents of those who provide fantastic rhythms.

Mike

Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online