Topic Options
#483579 - 12/10/19 05:00 PM Re: O/T Medicare Opinions [Re: Guardman2001]
jingleman Offline

Loc: The Villages, FL, USA
Thank you sir!

#483589 - 12/10/19 06:31 PM Re: O/T Medicare Opinions [Re: jingleman]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Mitch, I have good news and bad news. I also have Plan F, with a high deductible, $2,500, therefore the plan only cost me $71 a month. The bad news is if you select that plan, you will never meet the deductible. The amount deducted is based upon what the insurance company approves for the procedure, which is always next to nothing. I spent a week in the hospital, shelled out nearly $2,000 to the hospital for various charges above what medicare paid, and the amount approved for the deductible was about $300. Plan F with a high deductible is pretty much a joke.

Now, eye and dental is relatively inexpensive, and for both my wife and I through Blue Cross/ Blue shield it cost us about $70 a month combined. I just had laser surgery on my eyes and everything was covered.

If you served in the military, the VA is the least expensive way to go. I spent four years in the US Navy and the VA, since I am fully disabled, pays for all my drugs. I usually only go to the VA once a year for bloodwork and a checkup, but if necessary, you can go as often as you feel the need. And, since Donald Trump took office, there is no problem getting appointments in less than a week. Prior to Trump, it took me up to six months to get a routine appointment.

I applaud you for hanging on long enough to retire. I only worked for the Maryland State Police for a year, got shot at by a 15-year-old kid and decided that I needed to find a safer way to make a living, especially considering that I was going to get married in six months after the incident. Carol agreed. I have a friend that stayed with MSP for 32 years, retired, took his pension, but was able to maintain his health insurance coverage through them until this year. The cost to him was minimal, but now he is on medicare and Plan F. You might want to check on the possibility of being able to retain insurance through your agency.

Good Luck,

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#483590 - 12/10/19 07:01 PM Re: O/T Medicare Opinions [Re: travlin'easy]
jingleman Offline

Thanks Gary...I too had an option to continue with the agency health plan. But I would have had to stay with them for 20 years. Not gonna happen. I don’t have prior military...so that’s not an option. I’ve been looking at advantage plans and it appears this may be the best way for my wife and I to go.
I’ve just about reached my tolerance level physically and emotionally for law enforcement. We’ll see how things shake out over the next 6 months or so.
Thanks for your thoughts Gary,
Mitch

#483595 - 12/10/19 08:13 PM Re: O/T Medicare Opinions [Re: jingleman]
btweengigs Offline

Loc: Florida, USA
Mitch...
At age 64 I was paying Blue Cross/Shield $900 per month because of a cancer scare I had. I turned 65 and got on United Health Care Supplement. Still paying premiums but no where close to $900 monthly. Then, at age 66, had a heart attack. The supplement paid for everything. I also had an Rx policy, so the financial damage was minimal. Since then, I've moved over to Medicare Advantage and have had used UHC, Humana and soon will be switching to Aetna. As you know each plan is zip code specific...so what I have done and do may not be the best for you.

Start with www.medicare.gov and search useing the sites where you can personalize your particular situation.

Eddie

#483655 - 12/11/19 09:17 AM Re: O/T Medicare Opinions [Re: btweengigs]
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
My plan F does not include dental or optical. It is my experience that United Healthcare is the worst of the carriers. I use Mutual of Omaha. Way fewer complaints by medical people.

R.

#483662 - 12/11/19 09:58 AM Re: O/T Medicare Opinions [Re: jingleman]
btweengigs Offline

Loc: Florida, USA
Agreed. My cardiologist expressed dissatisfaction with United.
Eddie

#483856 - 12/12/19 07:35 AM Re: O/T Medicare Opinions [Re: btweengigs]
sparky589 Offline

Loc: NJ
Just realize you still have to pay your part B premium along with any premium for an advantage plan. Most ads for advantage plans don't tell you that.

#483866 - 12/12/19 08:07 AM Re: O/T Medicare Opinions [Re: sparky589]
jingleman Offline

Thank you gentlemen. I have been investigating a number of options and all of your suggestions have been helpful.
Thanks,
Mitch

#483873 - 12/12/19 08:56 AM Re: O/T Medicare Opinions [Re: jingleman]
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Just switched my part F to another insurer. Price went down from $283. to $210. Pharmacy went down from $72 to $38.

This is, supposedly for the same coverage.

We'll see

R.

#483874 - 12/12/19 09:06 AM Re: O/T Medicare Opinions [Re: jingleman]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
I found a great app to cut pharmacy costs - Good RX

This alone cut my drug cost by nearly 50 percent and in some cases, 75 percent. Give it a try and compare the prices. It's a free app.

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online