SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#483385 - 12/09/19 03:45 PM A GREAT way to recharge....Seeing the WHOLE person
captain Russ Online   content

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
For the 2nd time since I have been going to Atlanta to see a client, my great friend and "zone" bud Chas met my son and I at a restaurant on the intestate on our way back to Lexington last Friday.

The internet is GREAT. I wouldn't have a friendship with you folks but for the Synthzone.

But, sitting together in person, even if it was only for a 1/2 hour is fabulous. Internet contact only is like looking at the world in black and white...you miss all the wonderful mid-tones.

Chas is undoubtedly one of the most talented musicians here...in the top three for sure. And he is the one I'd like most to play with.

We're sort of joined at the hip in the areas of music, politics...almost everything.

His has been a life of accomplishment: far more skills achieved than most.

And he is one of the kindest, most giving people I have ever known. He says lunch was cheap and he picked it up so I would get the next, more expensive one. Lunch was NOT cheap. Calamari, and two entrees for my son and I . He only had a coffee...a $40.00 plus coffee.

He is shouldering more than most of us right now, but still worried about his friends, dedicated to the Habitat project in New Orleans for displaced musicians, works for military related 501(c)'s and I'm sure is the greatest grandpa and father ever.

He was totally courteous and polite to my sometimes arrogant son (wonder where he gets that?), and Logan wants to visit Chas at home for a longer time next trip...maybe play a few turnes.

I do, too.

Russ

(Hey, Chas. Call about that Cannon XL-1. You would have a ball with it, and it's no longer viable for us...You are welcome to it).

Edited by captain Russ (12/09/19 03:49 PM)

#483658 - 12/11/19 09:39 AM Re: A GREAT way to recharge....Seeing the WHOLE person [Re: captain Russ]

Chas, lets get a song list....4 tunes or so to work on. We'll be down early in January. Logan wants to play bass on several if we will let him. One tune, possibly. I really like left-handed keyboard for several of the songs I'd like to do.

I vote for Worksong (key of G), possibly Misty, up, and a Stevie Wonder...Isn't She Lovely and/or All in Love is Fair. If time is a factor, I could lay down guitar rhythm to a drum track, the, track my lead lines, and you could add walking bass, comps and your solos when you feel like it. Of course, we could do What are You Doing The Rest of Your Life, if you'd like. I also have been doing Pieces of Dreams by the same writer. Great piece of music, but not as moving for me.

Let me know.

What Fun!

Russ

Edited by captain Russ (12/11/19 11:25 AM)

#483660 - 12/11/19 09:49 AM Re: A GREAT way to recharge....Seeing the WHOLE person [Re: captain Russ]
saxxman Offline

Loc: Niceville, FL USA
Congratulations you two for such a great way to start the holidays out! Glad to hear your meeting in Atlanta was such a festive and fun one! I know you are right - nothing like a "real life handshake" to amplify a friendship. And congrats to both of you for your continuing public service work and Mega Kudos to Chas for the work he is doing to help the folks in N.O. - several of the Katrina refugees have settled here and they sure "jazzed up" the music scene!

Can't wait to hear your collaboration effort! Happy holidays guys!

PA4X, SX900 (Baby Genos), Roland U-20, L1 Compact, Way 2 Many Saxes

"My computer beats me routinely at chess - but it's NO MATCH for me at kick boxing!"

#483687 - 12/11/19 10:27 AM Re: A GREAT way to recharge....Seeing the WHOLE person [Re: captain Russ]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By captain Russ
Chas, lets get a song list....4 tunes or so to work on. We'll be down early in January. Logan wants to play bass on several if we will let him. One tune, possibly. I really like left-handed keyboard for several of the songs I'd like to do.

I vote for Worksong (key of G), possibly Misty, up, and a Stevie Wonder...Isn't She Lovely and/or All in Love is Fair. If time is a factor, I could lay down guitar rhythm to a drum track, play the my lead lines, and you could add walking bass, comps and your solos when you feel like it. Of course, we could do What are You Doing The Rest of Your Life, if you'd like. I also have been doing Pieces of Dreams by the same writer.
Let me know.
What Fun!
Russ

I hope this jam includes Pictures and videos for us Russ?

#483704 - 12/11/19 11:21 AM Re: A GREAT way to recharge....Seeing the WHOLE person [Re: Dnj]

Tried to get Chas' photo in Atlanta. I'm so much prettier than he is he refused.

Imagine that?

Russ (Don't hate me because I'm gorgeous) Lay

#483729 - 12/11/19 12:49 PM Re: A GREAT way to recharge....Seeing the WHOLE person [Re: captain Russ]
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
smile smile smile

As most of you longtimers know, Russ is a pretty nice guy as well. And his son, Logan, is NOT arrogant, he's just smarter and better looking than Russ, is all. Luckily, I know all the tunes you listed except 'What Are You Doing...' which happens to be my favorite but also the only one you can't 'fake'. To play it correctly and tastefully, as you did in that video, takes some serious practice. The chord changes are exquisite. I gave my grandson the only (combo) amp capable of accepting bass guitar (BTW, I have a beautiful vintage one in the studio) but my Traynor K4 might work - never tried it. Could always use one of the Ev's; it's got a 15" and handles the deepest organ bass easily. We'll figure it out. Also, if we do Misty, it has to be in Eb. I saw that Yamaha (Genos) demonstrator do it in F and I wanted to smack him smile. Sorry I missed your call but I sent you an email about the camera - READ YOUR EMAIL!! smile. Oh, and Donny, on the pics and videos; don't hold your breath, man. Well maybe of Russ and Logan in my studio.

Russ, catch you later.

chas

#483733 - 12/11/19 01:03 PM Re: A GREAT way to recharge....Seeing the WHOLE person [Re: captain Russ]
Dnj Offline

No problem Chas with your anonymity..
At least I have pictures of Russ..

#483739 - 12/11/19 01:25 PM Re: A GREAT way to recharge....Seeing the WHOLE person [Re: cgiles]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Originally Posted By cgibles
smile smile smile
Also, if we do Misty, it has to be in Eb. I saw that Yamaha (Genos) demonstrator do it in F and I wanted to smack him smile.
chas

The only other key I would play it in is D# ... wink

Seriously, it has to be Eb ... I can't sing the song - well, first of all because I cant sing the song - but also because it has to be in Eb and that is not my key for that song ...

#483740 - 12/11/19 01:30 PM Re: A GREAT way to recharge....Seeing the WHOLE person [Re: tony mads usa]

Chas, I'll send you the changes to What Are You Doing The Rest Of Your Life...not bad.

Let's do what's fun. I will bring a bass amp...we have lots of small recording amps...and a guitar and Hendrickson amp.

And I DID read the email. Probably about two hours after you posted it.

SO THERE!

Russ

#483741 - 12/11/19 01:39 PM Re: A GREAT way to recharge....Seeing the WHOLE person [Re: tony mads usa]
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Originally Posted By tony mads usa
but also because it has to be in Eb and that is not my key for that song ...

Durn vocalist, there's just no pleasing them.

smile

chas

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online