SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4
Topic Options
#483808 - 12/11/19 06:26 PM Re: A GREAT way to recharge....Seeing the WHOLE person [Re: captain Russ]
travlin'easy Online   happy

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Chas, I tried to sing Misty in Eb and absolutely no way I could get remotely close to that chord, especially with no wind in my lousy lungs. However, I was able to do it in CMaj7 transposed down 3 half-steps. I had to crank up the mic input volume a bit to compensate for the lack of O2, but after listening to the finished product, I think I need to get back on the exercise program to improve what little vocal ability I have remaining. Here's what came out of the S-950 tonight: Misty

Chas, don't put out a contract on me - please! wink

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#483821 - 12/11/19 07:35 PM Re: A GREAT way to recharge....Seeing the WHOLE person [Re: captain Russ]
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Gary, first of all, NICE JOB. Secondly, the whole Eb thing was sort of a joke (poking fun at Yamaha) because Eb IS the original key, but everyone is right; keys don't mean squat to a vocalist. A vocalist sings where it's comfortable, key be damned. It's up to the musician to accommodate the vocalist - no if, ands, or buts. Errol Garner, the composer, wrote it in Eb, Groove Holmes, who had a minor 'cross the tracks' hit with it and all jazz organists, including Joey D, since then usually do some minor variation of his (Groove's) take on it. Too lazy to look it up but check out Groove's version on YouTube (Richard 'Groove' Holmes). That's pretty much the way I do it (and the way most people expect it in jazz clubs). I think Johnny Mathis probably had the biggest hit of it and probably the version most suitable for a retirement-age audience. Glad to see more 'Zoners' airing out these 'oldies-but-goodies'. BTW, keep a bed open for me as I might be moving in with you until after the Superbowl (unless the Ravens do a total collapse) smile. I don't eat much.

chas

#483826 - 12/11/19 07:53 PM Re: A GREAT way to recharge....Seeing the WHOLE person [Re: cgiles]
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Originally Posted By cgiles
smile smile smile

As most of you longtiAlso, if we do Misty, it has to be in Eb. I saw that Yamaha (Genos) demonstrator do it in F and I wanted to smack him smile. Sorry I missed your call but I sent you an email about the camera - READ YOUR EMAIL!! smile. Oh, and Donny, on the pics and videos; don't hold your breath, man.

chas

If not pics or video, maybe just a recording? Sure we’ d all happily settle for that. Love that song.

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#483827 - 12/11/19 08:09 PM Re: A GREAT way to recharge....Seeing the WHOLE person [Re: cgiles]
rikkisbears Offline

Gary, first of all, NICE JOB. Secondly, the whole Eb thing was sort of a joke (poking fun at Yamaha) because Eb IS the original key, but everyone is right; keys don't mean squat to a vocalist. A vocalist sings where it's comfortable, key be damned. It's up to the musician to accommodate the vocalist - no if, ands, or buts. Errol Garner, the composer, wrote it in Eb, Groove Holmes, who had a minor 'cross the tracks' hit with it and all jazz organists, including Joey D, since then usually do some minor variation of his (Groove's) take on it. Too lazy to look it up but check out Groove's version on YouTube (Richard 'Groove' Holmes). That's pretty much the way I do it (and the way most people expect it in jazz clubs). I think Johnny Mathis probably had the biggest hit of it and probably the version most suitable for a retirement-age audience. Glad to see more 'Zoners' airing out these 'oldies-but-goodies'. BTW, keep a bed open for me as I might be moving in with you until after the Superbowl (unless the Ravens do a total collapse) smile. I don't eat much.

chas

Ooh!Ooh! Ooh! You forgot Ray Stephens , was his a one chord country version. Haha
Only kidding.

I loved Johnny Mathis version, wow I was retired at 7. Haha
Actually love Mathis songs in general.

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#483829 - 12/11/19 09:17 PM Re: A GREAT way to recharge....Seeing the WHOLE person [Re: rikkisbears]
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Originally Posted By rikkisbears
You forgot Ray Stephens , was his a one chord country version. Haha

NO! Like it, or not ... That banjo rocks!

#483830 - 12/12/19 03:42 AM Re: A GREAT way to recharge....Seeing the WHOLE person [Re: Uncle Dave]
rikkisbears Offline

Originally Posted By Uncle Dave
Originally Posted By rikkisbears
You forgot Ray Stevens, was his a one chord country version. Haha

NO! Like it, or not ... That banjo rocks!

Whoops, spelt his name incorrectly. ( fixed).
We used to love listening to him, his comedy songs were a hoot, and his version of Misty was brilliant too.

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#483835 - 12/12/19 06:09 AM Re: A GREAT way to recharge....Seeing the WHOLE person [Re: captain Russ]
travlin'easy Online   happy

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Chas, I'll start clearing out my son's old bedroom. Should have it ready in a couple weeks. wink

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#483860 - 12/12/19 07:46 AM Re: A GREAT way to recharge....Seeing the WHOLE person [Re: cgiles]
124 Offline

Originally Posted By 124
FWIW, and I don't know how this works, but I'm happy in the keys of C, D, E, F, G, and A. Okay, all bar one of them contains #'s and b's, so I'm playing other than all white keys. However, if someone calls for a tune in C#, Eb, F#, Bb, or even B, I'm diving for the transpose button. I ain't above that. smile

Of course this only applies if playing by ear but, for me, it's not so much the key as it is the passing chords, transitions, etc. I DO have favorite keys for soloing though; Bb, Eb, F. I also like f#, probably stemming from playing boogie-woogie as an 8 yr. old (all black keys) smile.

chas

Yep, I'm an ear player and luckily, on gigs, we're totally vocals. So I 'fit' the keys to our vocal ranges. I will do an instrumental or two if necessary, nothing overly convoluted as I do have the ability to play them on the fly and will choose the keys of C or G for them.

When I'm at home I like to play more complicated, for me anyway, instrumentals like Alfie and My One and Only Love - whatever pops into my noggin.

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online