SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#483768 - 12/11/19 03:57 PM Re: A GREAT way to recharge....Seeing the WHOLE person [Re: 124]
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Originally Posted By 124
FWIW, and I don't know how this works, but I'm happy in the keys of C, D, E, F, G, and A. Okay, all bar one of them contains #'s and b's, so I'm playing other than all white keys. However, if someone calls for a tune in C#, Eb, F#, Bb, or even B, I'm diving for the transpose button. I ain't above that. smile

Of course this only applies if playing by ear but, for me, it's not so much the key as it is the passing chords, transitions, etc. I DO have favorite keys for soloing though; Bb, Eb, F. I also like f#, probably stemming from playing boogie-woogie as an 8 yr. old (all black keys) smile.

chas

#483770 - 12/11/19 04:04 PM Re: A GREAT way to recharge....Seeing the WHOLE person [Re: cgiles]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
I'll use the transpose button if I have to, and unless it's an instrumental, it's in whatever key I sing it in ...

#483771 - 12/11/19 04:11 PM Re: A GREAT way to recharge....Seeing the WHOLE person [Re: captain Russ]
travlin'easy Online   happy

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
I frequently use the transpose button, but only to transpose the original chords to a chord my vocals can comfortably handle and keep the song in my vocal range. Consequently, when the song is heard by my audiences, particularly Misty, this is what they hear. There is no way in the world I could sing this in Bbm7, which is the chord the Ella Fitzgerald performed it in. Unfortunately, the pasting of the chords here in plain text eliminated the correct spacing for the chords over the words.

The rendition done by Erroll Garner was done in CMaj7, which I found easier to play.

[Verse 1]

Amaj7 Em7 A7 Dmaj7

Look at me, I'm as helpless as a kitten up a tree;

Dm7 G7

And I feel like I'm clingin' to a cloud,

Amaj7 F#m7

I can' t understand

Bm7 E7 C#m7 F#7 Bm7 E7

I get misty, just holding your hand.

[Verse 2]

Amaj7

Walk my way,

Em7 A7 Dmaj7

And a thousand violins begin to play,

Dm7 G7

Or it might be the sound of your hello,

Amaj7 F#m7

That music I hear,

Bm7 E7 A6

I get misty, the moment you're near.

[Bridge]

Em7 A7b9

Can't you see that you're leading me on?

Dmaj7

And it's just what I want you to do,

D#m7 G#7

Don't you notice how hopelessly I'm lost

B7 C#m7b5 F#7b9 Bm7 E7

That's why I'm following you.

[Verse 3]

Amaj7

On my own,

Em7 A7 Dmaj7

When I wander through this wonderland alone,

Dm7 G7

Never knowing my right foot from my left

Amaj7 F#m7

My hat from my glove

Bm7 E7 Amaj7

I'm too misty, and too much in love.

Bm7 E7

Too misty,

Amaj7

And too much in love...

Gary

Edited by travlin'easy (12/11/19 04:16 PM)

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#483772 - 12/11/19 04:15 PM Re: A GREAT way to recharge....Seeing the WHOLE person [Re: cgiles]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By cgiles
Donny, just curious. When you start the process of learning a new song, do you first transpose the written score (sheet/fake book/whatever) before physically playing it? What is your process? Just interested in what other people do.

chas

Usally I listen to the song and try to play it... I have that ability to do it most times with no music at all..
If I get stuck I'll look at a chart to see what I missed but st and then I hit transpose ay it in C.. learn the lyrics and I'll add my little chord changes and off I go..

#483773 - 12/11/19 04:16 PM Re: A GREAT way to recharge....Seeing the WHOLE person [Re: captain Russ]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Funny how things stick in your memory...MANY years ago, 1965, I bought a Lowery organ and started playing with a band. I didn't know enough to realize I should have bought a B3. They needed an organ player and the local store only sold Lowerys.
I could play trumpet, bass, guitar and drums, but was just learning organ. Anyway I pretty quickly learned to play right hand in C, F and G, then a little in D, but I really had never tried any other keys. The band did a lot of songs in E, and expected me to solo some, so I would use the little pitch bend tab next to the volume pedal and hold it in while playing in F. It bent the note exactly a half step! The first transpose button! smile
Now, I can play in any key, but as mentioned, many licks work better in certain keys so I sometimes transpose so that I can sing in comfortable keys while playing in comfortable keys. It's just another tool.
I would break a blood vessel trying to sing Misty in Eb. I do it in C. Sue me. smile
Remember Alfalfa trying to hit those high notes in the Little Rascals. No, not the YOUNG Rascals. smile

#483776 - 12/11/19 04:37 PM Re: A GREAT way to recharge....Seeing the WHOLE person [Re: tony mads usa]
bruno123 Online   content

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
Playing chords in all keys is easy with guitar. Guitar melody solos fall better in some keys.

In my pro keyboard days, I played songs in their original keys; transposing for a singer was not a problem. The first twenty years we never used a music on stage.

In the past three years I got lazy; it was easier playing everything in C. There is an up-side to playing everything in C, chord progressions, fill inns, and chord substitutions become second-nature, you do them without thought. In short you play the songs better in C.

I have a new friend, he plays all songs in F# ????? Must like the black keys. Bottom line; his playing is far above average, He Is Good.

Just saying, John C.
PS, are there any guitar players here who would like written melody for guitar?
Many years ago at my daughter’s wedding, the ceremony stopped so that I could play their favorite song: “What are You Doing the Rest of Your Life”, no backing, just guitar playing melody chords.

#483780 - 12/11/19 04:46 PM Re: A GREAT way to recharge....Seeing the WHOLE person [Re: captain Russ]
Dnj Offline

Guitar capo is what I see a lot = transpose button

#483782 - 12/11/19 04:50 PM Re: A GREAT way to recharge....Seeing the WHOLE person [Re: captain Russ]
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Certain fingerpicking styles require the use of open strings to play effectively, and a capo facilitates that.

#483783 - 12/11/19 04:51 PM Re: A GREAT way to recharge....Seeing the WHOLE person [Re: captain Russ]
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
... fun fact - B major scale is SO much more finger friendly than C major.
Your hand just floats along the keys.

#483788 - 12/11/19 05:03 PM Re: A GREAT way to recharge....Seeing the WHOLE person [Re: Uncle Dave]
bruno123 Online   content

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417

... fun fact - B major scale is SO much more finger friendly than C Fun fact B major. Your hand just floats along the keys.

Dave, maybe for you.

And yes, I see the value of a capo for open string guitar playing. But there are many that use it to transpose. Another thought: I have a friend, on in years, who tunes his guitar ½ a tone lower. Then he puts the capo on the first fret. The fingering becomes easier.

John C.

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online