SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#482487 - 11/30/19 12:36 PM Genos debut
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Overall I'm pleased. There still all a lot of work to be done to get it to where I'm really comfortable, but the only way to really find out what needs to be done is to play it "under fire".
I went in two hours early, and it took almost all that time to get everything set up. I had to change keyboard stands, mic holders, lights, location of the stand relevant to the speakers (because of the extra length of the kb). Still to work on illuminating the kb controls a little more.
I had forgotten to set up a User midi setup to control the Harmony M, but that took only a couple of minutes. Just went in and sent Transmit chord 1 and 2 to channel one, and turn everything else off.
What I found while playing:
A lot of the styles and most of the voices are excellent. But I was already satisfied with the styles and sounds I had.
The main problems I had were with a few registrations that I evidently saved improperly. The Yamaha Save procedure leaves a lot to be desired but I'm getting comfortable with it again.
For example some of the registrations changed pedal assignments and vocal assignments when I thought they were protected. There should be an EASY way to LOCK anything you don't want changed, like Korg does. The parameter lock does a few of these, but sometimes they don't seem to work properly either. Eventually I'll discover and correct these things. It's embarrassing to push the Sustain pedal and immediately find out it has been reset to Volume!!
I'll need to redo some text files. It's a shame Yamaha can't truncate text lines like everyone else does. If the text line is too long, it just cuts off. I remember this now, but had forgotten, since Korg automatically finishes the text on the next line.
I used the Harmony M vocal processor/harmonizer most of the night, but the last hour used the on-board mic processor. I was pleasantly surprised because I thought it sounded good. Again, some of the registrations changed my default mic and harmony settings a few times.
The latest update, for some reason, made the text display smaller. Enough people are complaining that I'm sure they will correct that.
It's a shame that Yamaha doesn't put lapels across the top back where you can see what cables go where without lifting the keyboard, standing up, shining a light and trying to see the back of the thing. Again Korg and Roland both do this. Absolutely no extra cost would be involved. I will make a stick-on template of some kind. Seems like a little thing, but it would save several minutes and some contortions.
I need to retrain my left hand to a degree, to make some chords lower on the keyboard, taking advantage of the extra keys, and making my hand have to travel not as far to reach the joystick.
Now some good things:
It is really nice having all those sliders and knobs to adjust things in real time, even more of them than Korg. As I make these adjustments and save them, there will be less need for them in the future, but still they are most useful. As time passes, I will reprogram a set of knobs and a set of sliders to control the things I use most, so won't have to be switching between sets so often.
Now if a style part is too loud or unneeded, or balance is off, I just reach and pull it down and if necessary save at the end of the song.
It's really easy to navigate to things such as the mixer, the channel on/off page, etc to make adjustments as needed.
I set up a User E.Q. and used it part of the night, and used a preset E.Q., named Powerful, for the rest. After listening to a few of the recordings, I think the factory knows more than I do.
As predicted I am enjoying many of the voices, especially the Pedal Steel Guitars. My boss was impressed by the piano sound, said I sounded like Jimmy Swaggart, who is his musical hero.
I showed him the new keyboard and told him that firing me now was out of the question.
Gratuities were above average, so maybe that's a good sign.
At this point, it feels like a keeper. We'll see . . . smile

Edited by DonM (11/30/19 12:39 PM)

#482489 - 11/30/19 01:48 PM Re: Genos debut [Re: DonM]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Don, as I recall, the parameter lock feature on the Genos is the same as the one on my S-950, which means before turning off the keyboard, go to Parameter Lock and uncheck all the boxes as they will revert to default settings upon powering down.

This means you will have to save all your custom settings to a registration, then upon powering up, select the start up registration, then go to parameter lock to hold them in place during a performance.

Hope this helps,

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#482491 - 11/30/19 01:50 PM Re: Genos debut [Re: DonM]
saxxman Offline

Loc: Niceville, FL USA
Great report Don! Congrats on a great night w/the Genos! Sounds like a winner to me! Enjoy fine-tuning that machine to your needs and have fun. Thanks for sharing your thoughts and experiences!

PA4X, SX900 (Baby Genos), Roland U-20, L1 Compact, Way 2 Many Saxes

"My computer beats me routinely at chess - but it's NO MATCH for me at kick boxing!"

#482492 - 11/30/19 01:57 PM Re: Genos debut [Re: DonM]
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
Don,

I’m impressed with your review, why? I know the power of the Pa4x and the Genos. In all honesty I wasn’t so sure what your reaction would be gigging with the Genos since you’ve been such a Pa4x fan. I’m a fan of the Pa4x as well and it says a lot for the Genos based on your review. Thanks for sharing that.

#482493 - 11/30/19 02:16 PM Re: Genos debut [Re: Stephenm52]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
It's not the keyboard, it's the player, but glad you seem happy with it ...
Wouldn't expect anything less ...
Good for you ...

#482494 - 11/30/19 02:42 PM Re: Genos debut [Re: DonM]
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Originally Posted By DonM
Overall I'm pleased. There still all a lot of work to be done to get it to where I'm really comfortable, but the only way to really find out what needs to be done is to play it "under fire".
I went in two hours early, and it took almost all that time to get everything set up. I had to change keyboard stands, mic holders, lights, location of the stand relevant to the speakers (because of the extra length of the kb). Still to work on illuminating the kb controls a little more.
I had forgotten to set up a User midi setup to control the Harmony M, but that took only a couple of minutes. Just went in and sent Transmit chord 1 and 2 to channel one, and turn everything else off.
What I found while playing:
A lot of the styles and most of the voices are excellent. But I was already satisfied with the styles and sounds I had.
The main problems I had were with a few registrations that I evidently saved improperly. The Yamaha Save procedure leaves a lot to be desired but I'm getting comfortable with it again.
For example some of the registrations changed pedal assignments and vocal assignments when I thought they were protected. There should be an EASY way to LOCK anything you don't want changed, like Korg does. The parameter lock does a few of these, but sometimes they don't seem to work properly either. Eventually I'll discover and correct these things. It's embarrassing to push the Sustain pedal and immediately find out it has been reset to Volume!!
I'll need to redo some text files. It's a shame Yamaha can't truncate text lines like everyone else does. If the text line is too long, it just cuts off. I remember this now, but had forgotten, since Korg automatically finishes the text on the next line.
I used the Harmony M vocal processor/harmonizer most of the night, but the last hour used the on-board mic processor. I was pleasantly surprised because I thought it sounded good. Again, some of the registrations changed my default mic and harmony settings a few times.
The latest update, for some reason, made the text display smaller. Enough people are complaining that I'm sure they will correct that.
It's a shame that Yamaha doesn't put lapels across the top back where you can see what cables go where without lifting the keyboard, standing up, shining a light and trying to see the back of the thing. Again Korg and Roland both do this. Absolutely no extra cost would be involved. I will make a stick-on template of some kind. Seems like a little thing, but it would save several minutes and some contortions.
I need to retrain my left hand to a degree, to make some chords lower on the keyboard, taking advantage of the extra keys, and making my hand have to travel not as far to reach the joystick.
Now some good things:
It is really nice having all those sliders and knobs to adjust things in real time, even more of them than Korg. As I make these adjustments and save them, there will be less need for them in the future, but still they are most useful. As time passes, I will reprogram a set of knobs and a set of sliders to control the things I use most, so won't have to be switching between sets so often.
Now if a style part is too loud or unneeded, or balance is off, I just reach and pull it down and if necessary save at the end of the song.
It's really easy to navigate to things such as the mixer, the channel on/off page, etc to make adjustments as needed.
I set up a User E.Q. and used it part of the night, and used a preset E.Q., named Powerful, for the rest. After listening to a few of the recordings, I think the factory knows more than I do.
As predicted I am enjoying many of the voices, especially the Pedal Steel Guitars. My boss was impressed by the piano sound, said I sounded like Jimmy Swaggart, who is his musical hero.
I showed him the new keyboard and told him that firing me now was out of the question.
Gratuities were above average, so maybe that's a good sign.

I think I see tear drops falling from your E-A7.. grin

#482497 - 11/30/19 06:12 PM Re: Genos debut [Re: DonM]
jingleman Offline

Loc: The Villages, FL, USA
I showed him the new keyboard and told him that firing me now was out of the question. Gratuities were above average, so maybe that's a good sign.

LOL...congratulations Don. You are an truly are an Arranger King!
Mitch

#482506 - 12/01/19 02:26 AM Re: Genos debut [Re: DonM]
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Hi Don,
great to hear it went well.

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#482514 - 12/01/19 06:43 AM Re: Genos debut [Re: DonM]
Bachus Offline

Great to hear what a great instrument we own..
Been very happy with the Genos since day 1

http://keyszone.boards.net

#482515 - 12/01/19 06:45 AM Re: Genos debut [Re: Bachus]
Dnj Offline

"Great to hear what a great instrument we own..
Been very happy with the Genos since day 1"

+1

Edited by Dnj (12/01/19 06:46 AM)

#482533 - 12/01/19 08:34 AM Re: Genos debut [Re: Dnj]
Harold123 Offline

Loc: Harrisville Pa USA
Happy for You Don, wishing You the Best with the Genos...Harold

#482578 - 12/02/19 06:16 AM Re: Genos debut [Re: DonM]
Riceroni9 Offline

Loc: TX, USA
It's hard to imagine the act of bringing in a new KB into a venue, adjusting all the settings after re-arranging all the gear... and then belting out a performance to a crowd of Happy Holiday Diners waiting their turn in the Bar. There are only a few folks here with the experience and confidence to give such a big change a "go" and I wish I'd had a front row seat.

Curtain call, Mason.

#482582 - 12/02/19 06:55 AM Re: Genos debut [Re: DonM]
Bernie9 Offline

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
I was thinking the same thing about how ballsy that was until I remembered who was doing it.

#482587 - 12/02/19 08:56 AM Re: Genos debut [Re: DonM]
DonM Offline

Thanks, but I had it for nearly two weeks and spent many hours getting the basics set up. It's just that you find so many more things that need adjusting as you go.

#483048 - 12/07/19 08:10 AM Re: Genos debut [Re: DonM]
Dnj Offline

Don..So now another week went by....
more experiences on stage to share , etc?

#483049 - 12/07/19 08:18 AM Re: Genos debut [Re: DonM]
DonM Offline

There is no doubt that it is fantastic. Great sounds, all the styles in the world. Vocals are very good. People love the sound. Actually it doesn't feel that heavy to move. And I like the key touch.
However, I'm not yet convinced it is the best fit for ME right now. I'm fighting the length of it. My setup works much better with a 61 note keyboard.
I'm giving it at least another night or so...then ??? I still have two other arrangers at my disposal and I'm totally comfortable with them.

It would be a shame to give up on the Genos because I've spent so much time getting all the registrations set up, but I don't know. frown
There may be a great deal for someone soon. One reason I decide to buy it is that I got a really good price on it.

#483050 - 12/07/19 08:34 AM Re: Genos debut [Re: DonM]
Dnj Offline

There is no doubt that it is fantastic. Great sounds, all the styles in the world. Vocals are very good. People love the sound. Actually it doesn't feel that heavy to move. And I like the key touch.
However, I'm not yet convinced it is the best fit for ME right now. I'm fighting the length of it. My setup works much better with a 61 note keyboard.
I'm giving it at least another night or so...then ??? I still have two other arrangers at my disposal and I'm totally comfortable with them.

It would be a shame to give up on the Genos because I've spent so much time getting all the registrations set up, but I don't know. frown
There may be a great deal for someone soon. One reason I decide to buy it is that I got a really good price on it.

Oh well you tried it, sorry to hear that..back to the Roland EA7...
with that said I know Fran is smiling behind the scenes coffee ..
someone is gonna get a great deal on that Genos..

Edited by Dnj (12/07/19 08:36 AM)

#483051 - 12/07/19 08:34 AM Re: Genos debut [Re: DonM]
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Don,
Last night I was fiddling with the velocity curve on my PA4x, and I thought of you. I'm sure you tried all the settings, but maybe one of the curves will "feel" lighter to your fingers, since the response will be quicker? Just a thought ... and that whole 76 key long-bed is the major reason I passed on the Big G. It doesn't even matter how good it may sound, if I never want to take it out to play. Good luck - it's a tough decision.

#483055 - 12/07/19 08:41 AM Re: Genos debut [Re: DonM]
DonM Offline

Well it's not 100 percent certain yet, but I'm now leaning towards selling it.
Dave, I have the Korg set on lightest touch. It's not that I can't live with it if I need to; just looking for something a little lighter.
As good as the EA7 is, it will remain as my "second" keyboard for now, no matter what else I do.

#483060 - 12/07/19 09:00 AM Re: Genos debut [Re: DonM]
Gerry M Offline

Loc: Sahuarita Arizona
Don,
Just curious why the EA7 remains as your "second" keyboard. I have a PSR S975 and I recently got interested in the EA7. It seems to me easier to handle when performing live. You can change a lot of perimeters on the fly. Am I right? I do registrations, but I really don't like them. I feel restricted.

Gerry

#483061 - 12/07/19 09:09 AM Re: Genos debut [Re: DonM]
Riceroni9 Offline

Don:

I get first "dibs" on your Genos if you decide to "divorce it!" Naturally, negotiations about price must occur... maybe even a trade-in... LOL... but my need for a Genos or SX-900 for use in songwriting (considering my lack of talent) is paramount... but restricted by my Neiman-Marcus taste and my shrinking J. C. Penny's budget!

Glad to hear it worked well in your performances... but we both know, you'd sound great with a washboard and kazoo backing band.

Merry Christmas, my never met friend!

----Dave

#483066 - 12/07/19 09:26 AM Re: Genos debut [Re: Gerry M]
DonM Offline

Originally Posted By Gerry M
Don,
Just curious why the EA7 remains as your "second" keyboard. I have a PSR S975 and I recently got interested in the EA7. It seems to me easier to handle when performing live. You can change a lot of perimeters on the fly. Am I right? I do registrations, but I really don't like them. I feel restricted.

Gerry

Gerry, it is really easy to handle live. There is a button for everything. The styles are great and the sounds very good as well. There are programmable buttons and pads.
There are just a few features on the top of the line models that I like to have in my setup where I work four hours nearly every night, such as touch screen, vocal harmony and text display. It's the greatest value ever when it comes to arrangers!

#483067 - 12/07/19 09:27 AM Re: Genos debut [Re: Riceroni9]
DonM Offline

Originally Posted By Riceroni9
Don:

I get first "dibs" on your Genos if you decide to "divorce it!" Naturally, negotiations about price must occur... maybe even a trade-in... LOL... but my need for a Genos or SX-900 for use in songwriting (considering my lack of talent) is paramount... but restricted by my Neiman-Marcus taste and my shrinking J. C. Penny's budget!

Glad to hear it worked well in your performances... but we both know, you'd sound great with a washboard and kazoo backing band.

----Dave

You would be set for life with this one Dave. It would be a songwriter's dream If it does become available, maybe I will deliver it to you.

#483070 - 12/07/19 09:38 AM Re: Genos debut [Re: DonM]
travlin'easy Offline

Don, the chances of you making a 5 to 6 hour drive to Glenn Rose, TX are equal to being struck by lightning at the North Pole in mid January. Neither one of us can hardly drive an hour without some sort of physical malady kicking us squarely in the ass. wink

Gary cool

#483071 - 12/07/19 09:41 AM Re: Genos debut [Re: DonM]
Dnj Offline

Don:

----Dave

You would be set for life with this one Dave. It would be a songwriter's dream If it does become available, maybe I will deliver it to you.

Good luck dave and congratulations on your NEW Genos ...
a songwriters dream machine for sure....and delivery too wow!!!
Don does that include lunch too? have fun

#483073 - 12/07/19 09:47 AM Re: Genos debut [Re: DonM]
DonM Offline

Donny, Donny...all this is IF right now.

#483074 - 12/07/19 09:49 AM Re: Genos debut [Re: DonM]
Dnj Offline

Donny, Donny...all this is IF right now.

ok if you say so..... coffee

#483078 - 12/07/19 10:08 AM Re: Genos debut [Re: DonM]
travlin'easy Offline

smile

#483081 - 12/07/19 10:30 AM Re: Genos debut [Re: DonM]
Riceroni9 Offline

LOL! Donny... you are the ultimate cheerleader... and I mean that in the best way! I always enjoy your enthusiasm and the many topics you share with us. I can't imagine how "dreadfully dull" our little corner of the "Zone" would be without you.

Thanks for all you do for us... and by the way, Mason's "Keeper" will make certain he does not attempt such a feat. Glen Rose (loving called West Mayberry by me) is a far piece from Benton, LA. So many of us here are standing "on our last legs" and we know it. Regardless, we treasure each day the Great Spirit allows us to be above ground.

Happy Holidays... here on Pearl Harbor Day. I just saw an article posted on Facebook about a guy not much older than me named Aaron who died on the Arizona during the first attack. He was from my hometown, Texarkana. Sad. We owe those WW II vets so much.

#483087 - 12/07/19 11:00 AM Re: Genos debut [Re: DonM]
travlin'easy Offline

Dave, way back in 1962, when I was first married, Carol and I moved to Palestine, TX, which was a neat, little town very close to Texarkana. When I was not working, which primarily was on weekends, I fished just below the dam of Lake Texarkana where I caught hybrid striped bass and alligator gar ranging up to 5 feet long and mean as Hell. One day, I brought one of the gar home to eat - big mistake. There were so many bones it was like trying to eat a hair brush - UGH!

We lived there for about 6 months before the company sent me back to Maryland. Carol really loved living there, the house we rented was a spacious rancher of about 2,000 square feet with an attached carport. Ironically, the washer and dryer were in the carport - didn't have to worry about things freezing up there, but we did get an inch of snow one day and the entire town shut down. smile

I remember we had an armadillo living under the house, which eliminated any bug problem that we may have encountered in that part of the world. He, or she, was slow moving, but it spent most of it's time looking for bugs to eat, day and night. It was still there when we came back to Maryland.

We went back to Texarkana about 10 years ago, during a visit to Don Mason's part of the world, just to see how things changed. WOW! Big difference and none of the changes were good. The motel where we spent the first few week prior to renting the house was still standing, but the swimming pool had been filled in, the peacan trees had all been cut down, the place was a disaster. The house we rented was still there, and pretty much looked the same, but the quaint little town looked like a slum. Such a shame. It was pretty much a Mayberry kinda town when we lived there, and everyone knew their neighbors. Today, some of the neighborhoods have bars on the windows and doors of homes. When we were there, we never locked our door - didn't need to.

Ironically, you would think there would be something on the news about Pearl Harbor, and the vets that defended our nation - but nothing I could find on the tube. I had 6 uncles that served in the US Marine Corps, three of which were shot, but survived, my dad was in the Merchant Marines and made an Atlantic crossing. Three of my uncles were in the battle of Iwo Jima and two fought at Guadalcanal. You are absolutely correct, we owe those vets so much. Ironically, our armed services at the time only represented a tiny fraction of our population, about 9 percent if I recall correctly.

All the best,

Gary cool

#483099 - 12/07/19 12:25 PM Re: Genos debut [Re: DonM]
Riceroni9 Offline

Gary:

Here's hoping Mason kept you guys entertained, wined and dined to make up for the disappointment of East Texas. Seems like I only get to Texarkana for funerals... and still on my bucket list is a long, long journey back to Nashville where we lived for five years about a hundred years ago... LOL!

It is strange how the current generation (and media executives) have seemed to erase WW II and all their sacrifices from what it accomplished. Time flies but I still am thankful for my Uncle's time spent in Australia, New Guinea, the Philippines and Japan... then Korea. My other Uncle (Mom's Brother) was a Corpsman but he never talked about his war experiences.

All my best, ----Dave

#483102 - 12/07/19 01:20 PM Re: Genos debut [Re: Riceroni9]
DonM Offline

LOL! Donny... you are the ultimate cheerleader... and I mean that in the best way! I always enjoy your enthusiasm and the many topics you share with us. I can't imagine how "dreadfully dull" our little corner of the "Zone" would be without you.

Thanks for all you do for us... and by the way, Mason's "Keeper" will make certain he does not attempt such a feat. Glen Rose (loving called West Mayberry by me) is a far piece from Benton, LA. So many of us here are standing "on our last legs" and we know it. Regardless, we treasure each day the Great Spirit allows us to be above ground.

Happy Holidays... here on Pearl Harbor Day. I just saw an article posted on Facebook about a guy not much older than me named Aaron who died on the Arizona during the first attack. He was from my hometown, Texarkana. Sad. We owe those WW II vets so much.

Dave, I routinely drive to see my oldest son in Tulsa and it's about six hours each way. I set the cruise control and then I can take little naps along the way while I watch football on my phone. My wife usually doesn't go because I go during the week and she is working.

#483114 - 12/07/19 03:50 PM Re: Genos debut [Re: DonM]
Riceroni9 Offline

Wow, Don:

Are you driving up through Mena and then Ft. Smith? If so, I hope that highway has improved since I last drove it.

Gotta get back to the LSU - Georgia game.

Later, ----Dave

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online