SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#481404 - 11/21/19 06:09 PM Day One SX-900
lahawk Offline

Loc: Lehigh Valley, Pa.
First Day Thoughts

First of all, Frank is an awesome Zone dealer. Thanks to him for a great deal and fast delivery

My arranger keyboard was the now 10 year old PSR-3000, and while it still plays great, I was way overdue for an upgrade, and went with the SX-900. The SX is really quite different from the 3000, and I have a lot to learn, starting with finding factory styles. Yes, many styles have moved, and it will take awhile before I can locate my ol' favorites without thinking. Voice locations are easier to find as categorization hasn't changed that much over the years.

Right out of the box, the SX-900 has a nice rich lush sound, that just blows away the 3000, and I know with some time, I'll get it set up to sound even better, once I learn where all the edit parameters are located. Overall, I'm impressed with the styles, and the built in OTS. The Guitars voices may be my favorite, but again, overall , for me all the voices are a vast improvement. Remember, I'm coming from a PSR-3000, so I can't compare the SX-900 with a later S-xxx.

The LED screen display looks great and I have no trouble with the viewing angle that has been discussed. Touch screen works great. I like the over all black matte finish and have no trouble reading what's under the buttons. The rubber type buttons are fine, I actually like them, it's a silent action when pushed. I like that you can use buttons or the touch screen for main categories like selecting a style category, but I'm quickly learning that the touch screen needs to be used for many sub categories. (I keep looking for a button)

For those that use a music stand , it's serviceable, but not nearly as good as a separate heavy duty music stand that I use . If you have students, I'm sure you wouldn't be using the factory stand anyway.

Haven't tried the chord looper yet, but recorded a song, and that was easy, but again different than what I'm used to. Trying to edit a style or voice is also something I'll need to practice to make easier. I had the 3000 so long, I could just do things almost blindfolded. This new board poses a little bit of a challenge to learn, and hey that's a good thing to keep my brain tuned up. And it's been just one day, so ...

That's it for now, yes I have questions and look forward to enjoyable times learning the answers, but for me, it's a keeper for sure.

Like Dave said "It sounds great, and it's fun to play"

Hawk Music
Sadly No More frown

♫ 🎹🎹 ♫ SX-900

#481405 - 11/21/19 06:24 PM Re: Day One SX-900 [Re: lahawk]
Dnj Offline

Larry good luck.. Use it well..

#481407 - 11/21/19 06:29 PM Re: Day One SX-900 [Re: lahawk]
saxxman Offline

Loc: Niceville, FL USA
Congrats Larry and I will echo your thanks to Frank!

I also agree the SX is a new animal even for an S970 guy, so we all are in learning mode. The more I use the board the more user friendly it is!

So welcome aboard the SX900 ship Larry and have fun with that cool arranger!

PA4X, SX900 (Baby Genos), Roland U-20, L1 Compact, Way 2 Many Saxes

"My computer beats me routinely at chess - but it's NO MATCH for me at kick boxing!"

#481419 - 11/21/19 09:39 PM Re: Day One SX-900 [Re: lahawk]
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Congratulations Larry, great to hear that you like it.

The styles aren’t quite as mixed up as they first appear. I thought , what were they thinking. I hadn’t spotted the little icon on the style that says, country, rock , pop. Then noticed that one type are on the left , the other on the right,and the country styles were on alternate pages. Once I realised that, it was easier to find them. Fortunately most of the other categories have a button of their own.

Anyway, ENJOY.

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#481420 - 11/22/19 12:03 AM Re: Day One SX-900 [Re: rikkisbears]
bruno123 Online   content

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
Larry, enjoy your Sx900, there are so many great features, you are in for a good time. There are many here that are ready to share and help. Try testing the sound of the speakers, I have no need for additional speakers, the sound is full and strong. The weight is right. The Sx900 is a winner.

The old saying, “money can’t buy everything”, well this time it’s coming close. (smile)

Enjoy, John C.

#481426 - 11/22/19 05:06 AM Re: Day One SX-900 [Re: lahawk]
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
Larry,

Congratulations on your new SX900, that’s quite an upgrade from the 3000. I echo both the comments from you and Randy that Frank is a great dealer.

As things stand now our SZ buddy TonyMads and I are taking the 200 mile round trip this Tuesday to Frank’s store to pick up my SX900. Donny yes we’ll post photos smile

John C. Great comment “money can’t buy everything,” but it comes close with the SX900. Proves you’re enjoying your’s.

#481443 - 11/22/19 07:13 AM Re: Day One SX-900 [Re: lahawk]
zuki Offline

Hey Larry, enjoy the learning curve! It looks and sounds like a really great board.

Studio: Korg PA4X/Yamaha DGX670/Boss BR900CD/Tascam DP24SD/MTM Iloud/Sony C80/AGK 214/K&M stand

#481445 - 11/22/19 08:20 AM Re: Day One SX-900 [Re: Stephenm52]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Originally Posted By Stephenm52
Larry,

As things stand now our SZ buddy TonyMads and I are taking the 200 mile round trip this Tuesday to Frank’s store to pick up my SX900. smile

Yes, just to pick one up for Steve ... My KORG Pa900 is still great for MY NEEDS ... wink

#481475 - 11/22/19 12:44 PM Re: Day One SX-900 [Re: lahawk]
ekurburski Offline

Loc: Mountain Home, AR
Congrats on ths sx-900. Your comments concerning will be watched very closely as i have a 3000 I'm thinking about moving up from. Being that I lave in the middle of nowhere its quite hard deciding what to move up to. I am considering the SX and a pa4x. On the other hand I am considering waiting for the pa5x. At this poing of my life I expect that whatever I get it should be my last one.

#481527 - 11/22/19 05:03 PM Re: Day One SX-900 [Re: tony mads usa]
lahawk Offline

Loc: Lehigh Valley, Pa.
Originally Posted By tony mads usa
Originally Posted By Stephenm52
Larry,

As things stand now our SZ buddy TonyMads and I are taking the 200 mile round trip this Tuesday to Frank’s store to pick up my SX900. smile

Yes, just to pick one up for Steve ... My KORG Pa900 is still great for MY NEEDS ... wink

You never know Tony, you just might like it enough to trade in. Tell Frank, that crazy Larry said hi and is happy. Have fun and a safe trip, who's buying lunch? smile

Hawk Music
Sadly No More frown

♫ 🎹🎹 ♫ SX-900

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online