SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#481307 - 11/21/19 05:58 AM Is an Arranger Keyboard a Musical Instrument?
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
I was pondering the other day (And things have a habit of just popping into my head) as to what makes something a musical instrument, and I came to the conclusion that it is something that can be played by someone and that produces its own sound, E.G: An Oboe has its own sound, a piano (Whether acoustic or electric) has its own sound, an organ has its own sound, (Pipe or electronic) a drum kit has its own sound, a synth has its own sound (An FM synth has a different sound to a Wavetable synth and so on) etc., etc. but what does an arranger keyboard produce of its own, yes it can emulate many instruments and allow the player to arrange them as they see fit, but it produces nothing of its own, so is it a musical instrument or something completely different? and if it is different, is there any point in comparing an arranger keyboard to a real musical instrument.
Look forward to uses (And anyone else) views on this, as I am in 2 minds about it.

Bill

#481308 - 11/21/19 06:02 AM Re: Is an Arranger Keyboard a Musical Instrument? [Re: abacus]
Impuls Offline

Loc: Netherlands
if not , maybe it is a coffee machine grin

I crazy

#481310 - 11/21/19 06:06 AM Re: Is an Arranger Keyboard a Musical Instrument? [Re: Impuls]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By Impuls
if not , maybe it is a coffee machine grin

I crazy

rotf2

#481312 - 11/21/19 06:23 AM Re: Is an Arranger Keyboard a Musical Instrument? [Re: abacus]
Gunnar Jonny Online   content

Loc: Norway
Arranger keyboards is for me musical instruments. šŸŽ¹šŸŽµ
It's possible to make it sound your own way, i.e by the use of aftertoutch, expresion pedal and more.
Modern arrangers has also got more authentic sound like the original instruments as it is used very natural samples.
As long as we play it fysically to create and express music, my conclusion is: It's a Musical Instrument, no doubt.
But it also allow you to use it as a pure 'playback machine'.
All that sudden it can turn into a midifileplayer or even a 'karaoke machine'.
If so, maybe it's your or other human voices that is the real Musical Instrument. šŸ‘Øā€šŸŽ¤šŸ‘©ā€šŸŽ¤
"Success is not counted by how high you have climbed
but by how many you brought with you." (Wil Rose)

#481313 - 11/21/19 06:26 AM Re: Is an Arranger Keyboard a Musical Instrument? [Re: abacus]
Bachus Offline

Stupid question..
Worst of all, there is no relevance in the question.
Since we all know exactly what an arranger key is.
The fact if its an instrument or not?
doesnt change anything at all.

An Oboe is an Oboe, a piano is a piano, and an arranger key is first and foremost an arranger key
Under the hood its more like a chameleon
That on demand changes from organ into piano, into clavinet into synthesizer, into:any instrument with black and white keys
On top of that it allows you to emulate almost any other instrument you can think off..
And then you have a few ways to create a backing? Its like a guitarist or singer using a backing..

An arranger keyboard workstation is as it is..
And discussing if it is or is not an instrument does not add anything to what an arranger keyboard is.

http://keyszone.boards.net

#481314 - 11/21/19 06:26 AM Re: Is an Arranger Keyboard a Musical Instrument? [Re: Dnj]
Dnj Offline

#481316 - 11/21/19 06:34 AM Re: Is an Arranger Keyboard a Musical Instrument? [Re: abacus]
Jerryghr Offline

Loc: Buffalo, NY
Jerryghr

Attachments
puzzled-look.jpg

#481317 - 11/21/19 06:37 AM Re: Is an Arranger Keyboard a Musical Instrument? [Re: Bachus]
Gunnar Jonny Online   content

Loc: Norway
Originally Posted By Bachus

Stupid question..

šŸ˜®
There is no stupid or dumb questions, only stupid and dumb answers.
"Success is not counted by how high you have climbed
but by how many you brought with you." (Wil Rose)

#481318 - 11/21/19 06:43 AM Re: Is an Arranger Keyboard a Musical Instrument? [Re: abacus]
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
The question is What sound does an arranger keyboard produce of it's own that is not a copy of something else, other instruments have their own sound and are not copy's of other instruments, so what is the arranger keyboard sound, we all know what a piano is, an organ is, an Oboe is etc. but what is the unique sound of an arranger keyboard that is not a copy.

Bill

#481330 - 11/21/19 07:50 AM Re: Is an Arranger Keyboard a Musical Instrument? [Re: abacus]
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
It is an instrument.. An instrument is a tool used for a function.. And Yes it can and does create it's own sound. Allows a user to edit and change the sound independent of the original (copy). Most arrangers are capable of synth control with filters , cutoffs etc.

The larger benefit of the instrument... it allows a user to bring together all the sounds in a way that the user determines..
Now that is an instrument.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online