SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#481224 - 11/19/19 09:09 PM First major negative on Genos
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
I spent a couple hours listening and comparing "Hammond" organ sounds.
Genos, SD90, and Hammond model. These are illustrated in the posted video..

I listened to all the organs in Genos including optional packs.

I would not want to play the Genos as a naked organ..

Compared to the Hammond (best), and the SD90 (very good).. the Genos is very bright, it doesn't have the Hammond warmth.. it is too digital.

I found it more suited to sounding like a transistor Lowery or Thomas.
Organ players would know what I am talking about.
I also think Yamaha makes it too hard to get to drawbars.

I am wondering if the SX900 or Tyros5 are as weak in "Hammond" sounds..

Still no hands on to verify my opinion, but usually YouTube is pretty true with sounds.

Acoustic Piano, and the new Sax sound good..

I got to hook up with Donny and try hands on.. If he doesn't leave me alone in the sandbox again smile

Edited by Fran Carango (11/19/19 09:14 PM)

#481228 - 11/20/19 01:40 AM Re: First major negative on Genos [Re: Fran Carango]
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
Yamaha have never made good Hammond emulations, however the Genos is the best so far.
The SD9 is also quite good.
If you want the best emulation (And you don't want to go for a genuine organ model)in an arranger, (And that is currently still available) then the Korg is top notch, with the PA4x being really top notch.

Bill

#481229 - 11/20/19 02:07 AM Re: First major negative on Genos [Re: abacus]
Fran Carango Offline

Originally Posted By abacus
Yamaha have never made good Hammond emulations, however the Genos is the best so far.
The SD9 is also quite good.
If you want the best emulation (And you don't want to go for a genuine organ model)in an arranger, (And that is currently still available) then the Korg is top notch, with the PA4x being really top notch.

Bill

Bill the PA4X organs do sound good.

#481234 - 11/20/19 03:55 AM Re: First major negative on Genos [Re: Fran Carango]
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
I have a Pa4x and a Genos. Pa4x organs are tough to beat, the Genos in the Hammond emulation is fair.

#481235 - 11/20/19 04:44 AM Re: First major negative on Genos [Re: Fran Carango]
leeboy Offline

Loc: Ocala, FL USA
I always thought my Thomas Celebrity Royale organ was super, especially with the real Leslie they built in.
But of course the real Hammond will be the best...even though it wasn't clean and that's the way they were...those tube circuits and rotating wheels, were unique...just depends on what you like I guess.
Lee

#481239 - 11/20/19 07:04 AM Re: First major negative on Genos [Re: Fran Carango]
W Tracy Parnell Online   content

Loc: NY
The video Fran posted is by a Bosnian guy called Tiho. He has some of the best videos for arranger players I have seen. He has had all of the major arrangers and describes what he likes and doesn't like about each brand in a very objective manner. Since he uses all brands, he doesn't have a "dog in the hunt." Like our resident expert Don Mason, he says the PA4X is the best all around, but he likes the Genos and SD90 for other reasons. Check him out if you haven't already. A bit of a language barrier, but worth it IMO.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6Kmqz-zLDY3cEkTMxc5TnQ

#481242 - 11/20/19 07:29 AM Re: First major negative on Genos [Re: W Tracy Parnell]
Dnj Offline

Not a Major negative at all....I have owned them all, played them all, watched all the so called "expert analysis"
A/B senseless factoryish comparisons when you can easily adapt, edit, tweak, the sounds and styles into
any way you want it to sound, for any genre of music on all these arrangers.
This is why I chose Genos last for me.
When does the Negativity Stop & the Music Begin? confused1

Edited by Dnj (11/20/19 08:17 AM)

#481246 - 11/20/19 07:59 AM Re: First major negative on Genos [Re: Fran Carango]
Fran Carango Offline

Donny why take opinions so personal? smile

You can tweak all day long and never get the "Hammond" sound.

Clones have tried for years.

"Real" Hammond players (not me), will know this will not do..

Nothing wrong in giving heads up to Hammond people.

I was surprised the "Hammond" was not great.

Listen to a BK9 again(no longer available), Integra7, PA4X (again)..
Ketron (any).

I am sure it makes no difference in your style or use, but die hard Hammond players will shake their head. grin

#481249 - 11/20/19 08:15 AM Re: First major negative on Genos [Re: Fran Carango]
Dnj Offline

And just how many so called die hard Hammond "arranger players" do we have here?

Edited by Dnj (11/20/19 08:31 AM)

#481250 - 11/20/19 08:20 AM Re: First major negative on Genos [Re: Fran Carango]
Impuls Offline

Loc: Netherlands
On the video the Genos sounds like a cheap 70s organ , the EQ setting isnt right , the drawbars are not on the same level , he dont play the exact same notes a.
Having so much equipment and producing such a bad sounding movie make me think . . . .

I frown

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online