Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 5 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
#48076 - 10/22/03 11:17 PM Re: When to use Composer Memory
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Hi Anthony,
I would say "Spot On".

Seq to Composer is done in small sections. It's actually based on the number of bars you want your composer patterns to be. You could actually have a 1 bar variation pattern, but it would sound very repetative. I would normally try and find a 2 to 4 bars for a variation, 1 bar fills, Intro & Endings are based on the actual length they happen to be.
For the 4 variations( only), the hardest part is transposing the tracks parts you're using, so that they are all based on the same chord. ie if you have 4 bars with a chord change in each bar cmaj/fmaj/cmaj/gmaj, you'd be inclined to transpose the fmaj & gmaj parts so that they became a cmaj part. Sometimes transposing works, sometimes it doesn't sound quite right..

I personally have used the seq to composer for my Band in a Box Styles & my PSR styles which I saved as a midifile with NO chord changes in the parts I was going to use for the 4 variations for my style. Makes it so much easier.

best wishes
Rikki

[QUOTE]Originally posted by AnthonyCian:
[B]Thanks Rikki for jumping in and explaining the seq to comp thing. I know the function of the Seq To Comp Copy, I just can't explain it in words to good.

Overview:

Seq to Comp Copy is taking particular tracks of MIDI type files and in those particluar tracks a section of measures, then copying it in the Composer APC , aka Accomp1, Bass, etc.

APC to SMF convert is the opposite. It takes the APC composer parts and converts it to individual tracks in MIDI style.

Note: With Seq To Comp Copy this is perferred to be done in sections, or pieces because of the chord changes. APC TO SMF Convert goes through the convert process from the begining of the song to the end.

Did I put it in words ok...???

Anthony

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#48077 - 10/23/03 06:02 AM Re: When to use Composer Memory
lahawk Offline

Loc: Lehigh Valley, Pa.
Yes...I'm only SLIGHTLY confused now.

Larry Hawk

Hawk Music
Sadly No More frown

♫ 🎹🎹 ♫ SX-900

#48078 - 10/24/03 02:36 AM Re: When to use Composer Memory
waterschip Offline

Loc: Amsterdam, the Netherlands
[QUOTE]Originally posted by rikkisbears:

if you have 4 bars with a chord change in each bar cmaj/fmaj/cmaj/gmaj, you'd be inclined to transpose the fmaj & gmaj parts so that they became a cmaj part. Sometimes transposing works, sometimes it doesn't sound quite right..
[QUOTE]

In that way you know already the chords in that particular part. copy that part into the composer and for each part without transposing you to that manualy in the composer itself.
ie. from fmaj to cmaj. Getting Cmaj from Fmaj you have to lower 4 semitones (you can find this out on your keyboard).
If you are at the asterix which highlighted the chord and i.e. you see the F lower with the down arrow 4 times and the C note is highlighted in the screen press OK and then for the following note of the chord press the right button than the A or C note of the chord (still on the same asterix) is highlighted. press down 4 times and press ok. and so on.

rgds.
Willem

#48079 - 10/24/03 02:59 PM Re: When to use Composer Memory
rikkisbears Offline

Hi Willem,
amazing how we've all developed our own method of doing things.
I normally do any editing while it's still in midifile format on a p.c. sequencer or else on the kn7 while it's still in the the sequencer stage ie jobs like transposing, changing velocities , etc before I use the seq to composer function.
Editing in the composer sounds like a good way to fine tune the style.

Thanks Willem

best wishes
Rikki

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#48080 - 10/28/03 10:04 AM Re: When to use Composer Memory
shcox Offline

Loc: Leesburg, FL USA
Hi Anthony,

What a great discussion this is!

I for one would be very interested in trying some of your PR songs. I traded in my KN6000 for a PR54. I don't know how compatible it would be with your PRs but I've found that all my style disks and music disks from my KN6000 and the ones I download for the KN7000 work just fine.

I laugh when I think about going from a High End Keyboard to a Low End Piano but it has so many of the KN features that I barely miss anything. With about 50 style disks I have plenty of varity. I just have to spend a couple of minutes finding and loading a style and since I only play at home that's not a problem. The bigger amp, speakers and weighted keys are wonderful.

I do hope that someone will start a discussion group for the PR series since I looked all over the net and I can find anything about the PR54 except the normal ads and the technics lit.

(Sorry if this comes through twice the first one did not look as if it was submitted)

#48081 - 10/28/03 08:30 PM Re: When to use Composer Memory
AnthonyCian Offline

Loc: Arizona, USA
Hi shcox:

Yes this topic did get a pretty good discussion going.

About Technics PR models, I come to learn that the PR's are not as popular as the KN models. Because of that, there's not that many resources to find for discussions and help and all that.

Here on the this forum is the closest you will get with PR model discussions, there are some PR owners here, but most all have the KN's. But the KN owners are very friendly and will help the best they can. The PR's and KN's do have similar features, but yet different.

Not sure if the PR804 format styles will work on your PR model. I still have my PR900 curious on that too. When I get a chance I'll send you some to try.

Also, and curious. Does your PR54 have NX? This is a special technics midi file.

Anthony

[This message has been edited by AnthonyCian (edited 10-28-2003).]

#48082 - 10/29/03 01:48 AM Re: When to use Composer Memory
waterschip Offline

Loc: Amsterdam, the Netherlands
Hi Rikki,
Quote:
I normally do any editing while it's still in midifile format on a p.c."

Maybe that is a more comfortable way of doing it. A bigger screen and the real notes instead of asterix's.
But if you don't have a sequencer programm or your pc isn't next to your keyboard than the way I do it will work too. But you have to concentrate more otherwise you become confused by all the asterix's. So as you mentioned maybe there are other persons who use an other method we can try out to find the best suitable way.

rgds.
Willem

Thanks Willem

best wishes
Rikki[/B]

#48083 - 10/29/03 11:37 AM Re: When to use Composer Memory
rikkisbears Offline

Hi Willum,
I've also used the kn7 sequencer functions for editing midifiles too ( after loading them into the sequencer and before using the seq to composer function) . ie transposing track parts, changing track velocities, the drum edit window is great ( haven't really experimented with the note edit window yet).

My real enjoyment is fiddling round trying to work out how to make things work. I enjoy experimenting. ( I gave up on my musical capabilities years ago.(haahaa)

Admittedly, I do have a laptop, which I normally have attached to my kn.

best wishes
Rikki

Quote:
Originally posted by waterschip:
Hi Rikki,

But if you don't have a sequencer programm or your pc isn't next to your keyboard than the way I do it will work too.

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#48084 - 10/29/03 11:56 AM Re: When to use Composer Memory
shcox Offline

Loc: Leesburg, FL USA
Hi Anthony,

Yes it has NX sound and GM2 and can load SMF 0/1, SMF with lyrics and DOC*1 files.

The biggest 2 features I've found that the PR54 does not have that my KN6000 had (besides only being 64 note polyphonic) are the Performance Pads and the 20 Custom Style Memory Locations for Storing Custom Styles but it does have the 3 Custom Style Memory locations used when a song is loaded with a Custom Style. This is also used to load and play the many styles I have on disks from the KN series. They all play and sound great on the PR54. It has a quick load feature so you just press and hold the Custom Memory button and it reads the disk in the drive with the styles on it. The nice part about this feature is that it only loads the style and not all the other setting that are loaded when you press the Disk-Load-Load buttons.

I'm sure there may be others but these are the ones I miss.

It also incluses the USB port and the same Song Manager and Recorder software that come with the KN7000.

Oh, it doesn't have the voice Harmonizer either which I never used.

Best Regards

#48085 - 10/29/03 05:54 PM Re: When to use Composer Memory
AnthonyCian Offline

Loc: Arizona, USA
Hello shcox,

Yes, the KN's and PR's can have the same features and totally different ones. Just depends on what the person desires, sometimes it can be difficult to decide. Main thing is cost, and what the instrument is going to be used for.

Some may want a stationary piano which won't be moved around a lot. Have kids and if they are having private piano lessons, it's good to have the full keyboard of 88 keys. Adds a nice touch on home decore.

On the other hand, if the person is performing and moves around a lot, then something more portable is desired. If the house is small, or may just have no room for a larger unit. The KN is a good candidate.

I believe the KN's do have more features than the PR's. Which I may break down later and get the next KN model that comes out. Only if it's an 8000 type, if it's a 7500 then I may wait. With KN's, one has to get speakers, foot switches, and a stool. With PR's that all comes in the package. Probably why it has less features, to make up on costs.

Anthony

Page 5 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online