SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#478903 - 10/25/19 09:36 AM Hoarding Book
Dnj Offline

I was a mess.....but Now I'm gear free....

Attachments
hhhhhhhhhh.jpg

Edited by Dnj (10/31/19 08:02 PM)

#478907 - 10/25/19 09:57 AM Re: This book is what helped me years ago.... [Re: Dnj]
Dnj Offline

personally I always had the mentality of
"I'll just put it on the side for now ...
never know down the road if I will ever need it again with gear"

But after a while I had honestly NO Room anywhere...
all the stuff was never used and dusty as heck...
it was so bad i wouldn't even sell it off. So I read tis book, talked to some people in the business who went thru similar hoarding episodes and after a while, one piece at a time I started give gear away to people that wanted or needed it for FREE.That helped me to get rid of stuff and to make me feel better
doing something good for other musicians too.
Little by little I felt better, my rooms looked a lot better,
"happy wife, happy life too",.. and I was slowly cured of the disease. Now I am in a frame of mind that if I need it I buy it,
if I don't use or need it....I eliminate it somehow.
But I will never keep it here for no reason.
Whew!! I feel better just talking about it.

have a nice day!

#478917 - 10/25/19 10:50 AM Re: This Hoarding Book is what helped me years ago. [Re: Dnj]
Jerryghr Offline

Loc: Buffalo, NY
I think I have that book somewhere. I'll have to see if I can find it, and read it again.

Jerryghr

Attachments
books.jpg

Edited by Jerryghr (10/25/19 10:53 AM)

#478918 - 10/25/19 10:56 AM Re: This Hoarding Book is what helped me years ago. [Re: Dnj]
Dnj Offline

Jerry it ain't no joke ......
glad I am done with it..

#478929 - 10/25/19 11:49 AM Re: This Hoarding Book is what helped me years ago. [Re: Dnj]
Kabinopus Offline

Loc: Russia
Recently I threw away an old (and only) TV-set and an old PC's system unit. In the past I did the same with an old music center, big CD's collection and other equipment. It also makes sense to get rid of some furniture, but it's a lot of work.

But as for keyboards, my PSR-3000 was in a case for 5 years with a broken contact strip. When I had the same problem with S950 I had them both repaired, then PSR-3000 was back in a case. Now my S950 is in a service again (it takes more than a month), so I play PSR-3000. Looking through ads I see that prices for used PSR-3000 are rather high, so it would not be that simple to get a keyboard like this just to use it as a backup. So right now I'm glad that I kept it. Also, when it comes to old TV-sets, printers, computers, it's obvious that they can't be used nowadays, but a lot of keyboards are still useful.

It's indeed inconvenient in terms of space to use more than one keyboard, but in my case that would involve paing extra $2400 to have all what need in a single unit instead of having several instruments. Again, having a backup can be crucial.

Anyway, keyboards are not pianos. Several of them can be stored in a wardrobe with clothes and it won't make much difference.

I think, it's possible to go too far in any direction.

#478935 - 10/25/19 12:12 PM Re: This Hoarding Book is what helped me years ago. [Re: Jerryghr]
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Originally Posted By Jerryghr
I think I have that book somewhere. I'll have to see if I can find it, and read it again.

Jerryghr

smile smile smile I love it. I think responsible adults should do whatever they feel like doing, not what someone else thinks is right for them. I have enough space in my house to keep stuff forever...and a few years after that. A lot of my stuff brings back a lot of fond memories. Of course, excessive 'hoarding' is a different story and could be the symptom of a more serious psychological problem. But then those people are usually identified when a neighbor calls the Board of Health smile.

chas

#478937 - 10/25/19 12:18 PM Re: This Hoarding Book is what helped me years ago. [Re: Kabinopus]
Bernie9 Offline

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
[quote=Kabinopus]

Anyway, keyboards are not pianos. Several of them can be stored in a wardrobe with clothes and it won't make much difference.

Bless you my boy

#478940 - 10/25/19 12:47 PM Re: This Hoarding Book is what helped me years ago. [Re: Bernie9]
Dnj Offline

All I can say is it worked for me and I am better for it for sure...
just like when I quit smoking 35 years ago cold turkey.
First off being in denial is a major step to get forward
is all I'll say...to each their own..

All The best

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online