SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#47813 - 09/05/03 06:38 PM Measure Edit
lahawk Offline

Loc: Lehigh Valley, Pa.
I'm looking for the best way to extend a song by copying or inserting measures.

What is the difference between Copy Measure and Insert Measure ?

I have problems editing measures that have an Ending to the song. Do I have to delete the Ending before Copying or Inserting measures?

Need a tip or 2 on "Measure Edit" to extend a song.

Thanks
Larry Hawk

Hawk Music
Sadly No More frown

♫ 🎹🎹 ♫ SX-900

#47814 - 09/05/03 08:28 PM Re: Measure Edit
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Hi Larry,
my understanding is (and this is only off the top of my head, so someone correct me if I'm wrong)

copy measure- copies an existing measure/s ( notes & all) to where you nominate.
whereas inserting measure, will insert a blank measure, where you nominate.

Also I can't see why you'd need to delete your ending. but?

I don't do a lot of sequencing of songs, but I do use the sequencer at times for style creation. If I get a chance, I'll do a bit of fiddling around and see what I come up with if you're still having problems.

best wishes
Rikki

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#47815 - 09/06/03 03:49 AM Re: Measure Edit
Alain Offline

Loc: De Panne , Belgium
Hallo Larry,

Here is how you can lengten a song.

First off all you load the song into your keyboard.
Press the program menus buttom and then select sequencer from the options in the display.
Now select copy and past followed by measure copy. Now you can select the section of the song you want to copy and the pasting it to the measure where you want to begin it playing.
In the left box marked ,from , you set the tracks to all, and the measure where the section has to begin and the last measure of the section you want to copy.
In the right box marked TO,you set the track to ALL and then you give in the start measure and repeat 0 or 1 or 2 (it depends if you want to play this part several times). The start measure is the measure where you want to begin the part you copied.
Confirm all these settings by pressing OK followed by yes.
Don't forget to save the song when you are sattisfied with the result.

Greetings from Belgium,
Alain

#47816 - 09/06/03 08:09 AM Re: Measure Edit
lahawk Offline

Thank you .

I believe these are the kind of answers that Ted Rose was referring to... Plain and simple step by step instructions.

Regards,
Larry Hawk

Hawk Music
Sadly No More frown

♫ 🎹🎹 ♫ SX-900

#47817 - 09/06/03 04:03 PM Re: Measure Edit
lahawk Offline

The Copy & Paste method works fine for most songs and thanks for the tip. However I still have a problem with some songs that have an "Ending" included.

Example:
One of the songs I recently emailed Bebop had 47 measures with the Ending at meaure 48. I tried copying and pasting All tracks from measure 6 (after Intro) to measure 47 (before ending)

When the extended song is played back, the Ending is still there, and can be heard with the newly copied and pasted measures.

When the Ending ends in the newly copied and pasted measures, the rythmn also ends, and only the right hand sound can be heard at measure 48.

I hope I explained the problem well enough. I think the main question is : Why was the 'Ending" Copied and Pasted when I didn't include the Ending measures.

If you recieved this song through Bebop, and you have time...try extending the song, and let me know if you have the "Ending Problem".

Doubling the length was my goal, but I gave up and sent out the short version.
The song was "Love Nest" sent out on Fri Sept 5.

Thanks again to this great forum for all the help, tips, and tricks. You all are a huge help, and a great bunch of really nice people.

Larry Hawk

Hawk Music
Sadly No More frown

♫ 🎹🎹 ♫ SX-900

#47818 - 09/06/03 08:44 PM Re: Measure Edit
Ted Rose Offline

Loc: United States
Quote:
Originally posted by lahawk:
Thank you .

I believe these are the kind of answers that Ted Rose was referring to... Plain and simple step by step instructions.

Regards,
Larry Hawk

Hey Larry!

You are so right; I love simple step-by-step answers. They are easy for my feeble mind to understand.
(By the way, where do you find those cute icons included in your messages????)

Cheers,

Ted

#47819 - 09/06/03 09:03 PM Re: Measure Edit
Walt Meyer Offline

Loc: Silver City, NM USA
Larry,
I believe that I have figured out how to get rid of that ending. It's not very straight forward and not very obvious.
1. Play your song and list where all of the changes take place, start of song, end of song, start of ending, whether it's ending one or two, ETC.
2.I have found that it takes three steps to erase the ending.
3.Go to sequencer - step edit. Select Cntrl Track 6. Scroll down to the measure where the ending starts. You should find a * in that vicinity. It may not be exactly at the end or start of a measure. That * should be listed as Rhythm Ending 1 (or 2).
Erase that *.
4. Go to sequencer - Copy and Paste. Select Measure Erase "All" and erase about 10 measures starting with the start of the ending.
5. Go to Measure Delete and delete those same measures.
6. Play the song to be sure that the ending is gone. You should hear the rhythm but no ending.
7. Go to Measure Copy and copy the measures that you want and tack them in place of where the ending used to be.
8. If you listen to the song at this stage, you should hear everything except an ending. (If there is no Intro, don't worry, you can put that back in later).
9. Go back to step record, find where the ending should now be and press the keyboard button for ending one (or two). This places a new Rhythm Ending star.
10. If the Intro is missing, go to sequencer - Panel Write. Press the Intro button and then OK.

Try the song and if OK --- Save IT -- If you turn the keyboard off without saving, the sequencer is HISTORY!

There may be an easier way but I have not found it -- accuracy of measure count is very important if the results are to be seamless.
Give it a try, and lot's of luck. I hope that it's worth the trouble.
Regards,
Walt

[This message has been edited by Walt Meyer (edited 09-06-2003).]

#47820 - 09/06/03 11:09 PM Re: Measure Edit
lahawk Offline

Thank you all. Walt, I remember that was the process needed for the KN3000 years ago. It seems like a lot of work to completely delete the entire Ending, then copy and paste measures, then add the ending. I too wish there was an easier way.
Ted, The Cute Icons are from various sites around the web, where you must copy the Image Code of the smiley or other image and then paste the code here on your posting. The above icons came from http://mysmilies.com/

Larry Hawk

Hawk Music
Sadly No More frown

♫ 🎹🎹 ♫ SX-900

#47821 - 09/07/03 11:08 AM Re: Measure Edit
Joan Offline

Loc: Hampshire U.K.
Great Stuff!

Thanks Larry for asking this question.

Thanks Walt for your explanation. I think we all expect things to be much easier than they are, it is a relief to realise that the long way to correct something may be the only way to do it. Seeing it written in black and white is a help in itself.

Can you imagine what would happen if the keyboard understood verbal instructions - I can imagine there would be a few keyboards that would refuse to play for quite a while

Joan

#47822 - 09/07/03 12:03 PM Re: Measure Edit
Bob Hendershot Offline

Loc: Johnson City, TN USA
I seem to remember a similar problem with fill-ins. When you record fill-ins and intros & endings the sequence contains the fill and intro/ending data in both the APC and the CTRL tracks. You can edit and delete the item from the CTRL track but not from the APC track. IMHO, this is a software problem that Technics needs to address. IT SHOULDN'T BE THIS COMPLEX!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online