SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#477730 - 10/11/19 12:11 AM Re: SX900 vs Genos comparison.. [Re: DonM]
DannyUK Offline

Originally Posted By DonM

Strange how we have different needs and tastes. 12 of the things you listed have no interest to me and wouldn't make a difference. A few of them, such as the semi-weighted keys, 76 keys, no speakers and SA2 voices are even detrimental to my usage.
Knobs, sliders, bigger screen, Yes to them.
I've had dual players in my Korgs for 10 years or so and don't recall ever using more than one at a time, and actually very seldom at all.
If I were to choose between the 900 and the Genos, it would be a no-brainer for me.
Again, we each have different ways we use arrangers. I would seldom use the Ensemble, as great as it sounds. I don't care if there is more than a couple of good B3 organs. The 76 length means I have to change stands, change bags and arrange things differently when I move it.
I've never run out of memory on any of my arrangers, even Yamahas.
The speakers are not that important either way, but I'd just as soon have them as not.
Now, I totally understand why most people would prefer the Genos, just not me. And it costs quite a bit. smile
My Korg PA4X is ALMOST the perfect arranger for me, but I suppose we'll never have a perfect anything will we?

This is a fantastic reply and I couldn't have said it better.

If I wanted a Genos I would have one by now, but some of what it offers over the SX900 would be of no use to me much and could even be a determent rather than an advantage (size etc..). This is why the SX900 is a perfect balance because it has a lot of Genos, all the styles that sound exactly the same plus most of the sounds, a lot of the features all in a perfectly sized package at half the price. Remember, bigger isn't always better!

Edited by DannyUK (10/11/19 12:45 AM)

#477740 - 10/11/19 04:47 AM Re: SX900 vs Genos comparison.. [Re: DonM]
Gunnar Jonny Online   content

Loc: Norway
Originally Posted By travlin'easy
Carol says I'm perfect! wink

Originally Posted By DonM
That's not what she told me!

Lovely humor at this site, it's so refreshing and placed a big grin on my face!!
(Myself I hardly dare to write such comments or jokes without use my native language.
Tried a few times during the years, but it was misunderstood and it made some fuss.....)
"Success is not counted by how high you have climbed
but by how many you brought with you." (Wil Rose)

#477741 - 10/11/19 05:03 AM Re: SX900 vs Genos comparison.. [Re: Dnj]
Bernie9 Online   content

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
Gunnar

As many years you have been on this forum, I doubt anyone that knows you could be offended.

Bernie

#477770 - 10/11/19 12:20 PM Re: SX900 vs Genos comparison.. [Re: Uncle Dave]
Bachus Offline

Originally Posted By Uncle Dave
Originally Posted By Bachus
long list

I'll rebute:

76 keys - ---- huge chassis - prefer 61
Fsr keybed - ------ At least the sx is catching up. (baby steps)
Aftertouch -------- never needed/wanted it
6 knobs ------ 6 buttons
9 sliders - ------ you got me there. Sliders are cool
Bigger screen ------- I'm good with 7" (that's what SHE said?)
Better buildquallity -------- it BETTER be for the $$$$$$
More connections - ------ cool to have
More sounds.. ------- So far never wanted for sounds
Sa2 sounds ------- I don't use the SA aspect as much as some
Ensemble voices - ----- this is cool
Revo drums ------- I hear they're cool, but it's a very subtle upgrade
3 types of drawbar organs ------- I just need a good B, and Farfisa
Huge amount of dsp effects - -------Yamaha has always had tons of effects
No build inpeakers (which to me is a pro) ------- HUGE downer - speakers are a must for THIS pro
3GB expansion memmory ------- 3 to 1 ain't bad (bad Meatloaf reference)
3rd party expansions, many more then for psr series ------- We'll see
Dual audio player ------- I like two, but one is fine
Better bigger and more buttons, ------- bigger is NOT better for most of my stages. Bigger, PLUS the extra amps needed .... ------ too much bulk for this guy

Just one man's opinion, and why they will most likely sell gazillions more 900s than Genos'.

There is only one reason they sell more sx900’s then Genos..
Most people can’t afford, or don’t want to pay Genos money..

http://keyszone.boards.net

#477784 - 10/11/19 01:52 PM Re: SX900 vs Genos comparison.. [Re: Bachus]
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY

There is only one reason they sell more sx900’s then Genos..
Most people can’t afford, or don’t want to pay Genos money..

That's SO not true. I just listed more than enough reasons why many more players will choose the 900. These are not 2 competitors .... they are 2 different instruments with different demographics. For me, and many like me, I wouldn't take a Genos on the job even if I was given one for free. It's simply not a good fit for my situation, and many players use a system like mine for their bread and butter every week.

With THAT said, I think the Genos sounds absolutely amazing in the Sweetwater demos, but I've head lots of lack-luster performances, as well.
Give a listen to the best demo I've heard so far:
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Genos--yamaha-genos-76-key-arranger-workstation

Give me built in speakers!!! smile

#477802 - 10/11/19 04:26 PM Re: SX900 vs Genos comparison.. [Re: Uncle Dave]
jingleman Offline

Loc: The Villages, FL, USA
I'm good with 7" (that's what SHE said?)

Dave...I thought we were being honest here smile

#477844 - 10/12/19 06:03 AM Re: SX900 vs Genos comparison.. [Re: Uncle Dave]
Bachus Offline

long list

I'll rebute:

76 keys - ---- huge chassis - prefer 61. —- its only 2” wider then a Tyros 61
Fsr keybed - ------ At least the sx is catching up. (baby steps)—- still lagging behind
Aftertouch -------- never needed/wanted it—. You don’t play synth sounds? — or woodwinds and brass?
6 knobs ------ 6 buttons—- the knobs are great, for real time changes.. so i can keep the sliders assigned to volumes or a drawbar organ.
9 sliders - ------ you got me there. Sliders are cool— they are
Bigger screen ------- I'm good with 7" (that's what SHE said?)—- i prefer my 9 “
Better buildquallity -------- it BETTER be for the $$$$$$—— thats what we talking about, why its more expensive?
More connections - ------ cool to have— definately trie
More sounds.. ------- So far never wanted for sounds—- i do, its the top lof their sounds, that never made it to the psr-s and sx
Sa2 sounds ------- I don't use the SA aspect as much as some—- but again they are top of the tops
Ensemble voices - ----- this is cool—- and very usefull
Revo drums ------- I hear they're cool, but it's a very subtle upgrade—-also the drum edditor is great
3 types of drawbar organs ------- I just need a good B, and Farfisa—. Overhere in europe we use more different types of organs
Huge amount of dsp effects - -------Yamaha has always had tons of effects—- being able to chain 4 effects on a single sound is a really pro feature..
No build inpeakers (which to me is a pro) ------- HUGE downer - speakers are a must for THIS pro—- Yes, thats why i use external speakers, they are so much better
3GB expansion memmory ------- 3 to 1 ain't bad (bad Meatloaf reference)...untill you realize that top piano sounds are 1GB in size..
3rd party expansions, many more then for psr series ------- We'll see
Dual audio player ------- I like two, but one is fine
Better bigger and more buttons, ------- bigger is NOT better for most of my stages. Bigger, PLUS the extra amps needed .... ------ too much bulk for this guy_———. Ease of use is a thing...

Just one man's opinion, and why they will most likely sell gazillions more 900s than Genos'.

The difference is huge... thats why the sx-900 in all things is a baby Genos...

http://keyszone.boards.net

#477845 - 10/12/19 06:09 AM Re: SX900 vs Genos comparison.. [Re: Bachus]
Dnj Offline

baby genos or not if people hardly don't need or use much of the features listed & just want to turn on and play whats the sense of buying one ..?

Edited by Dnj (10/12/19 06:10 AM)

#477905 - 10/12/19 01:34 PM Re: SX900 vs Genos comparison.. [Re: jingleman]
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Originally Posted By jingleman
I'm good with 7" (that's what SHE said?)

Dave...I thought we were being honest here smile

(smile) prove me wrong!

#477936 - 10/13/19 01:48 AM Re: SX900 vs Genos comparison.. [Re: Dnj]
Bernie9 Online   content

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
I have never seen UD stumped for a come back.lol

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online