SX900 vs Genos

Posted by: Dnj

SX900 vs Genos - 10/10/19 06:41 AM

cool2
Posted by: DannyUK

Re: SX900 vs Genos comparison.. - 10/10/19 06:47 AM

I just wanted to quote something that I read from the link Mike posted in the SX900 vs SX700 thread which gives me a lot of pleasure knowing, I've highlighted the important part:

Quote:
PRESET STYLES: The PSR-SX700 is equipped with 400 preset styles, compared with 525 styles on the PSR-SX900. It must be noted that the quality of the styles on both keyboards is equal to that of the flagship Genos Keyboard Workstation.
[b][/b]
Posted by: saxxman

Re: SX900 vs Genos comparison.. - 10/10/19 07:06 AM

Thanks D & D! Good info to have!
Posted by: Kabinopus

Re: SX900 vs Genos comparison.. - 10/10/19 08:04 AM

Well, it’s obvious that styles are just a data and what is heard is totally up to the voices in the machine, to DSPs, and quality of audio components in general, therefore it would be a surprise to learn that they sound the same on Genos and PSR-SX.

Also, when users pointed out that not all controls are easy to use with a touchscreen it reminded me that Genos comes with sliders, which may make up for it, and PSR doesn’t have any. I’m still curious if it is easy to mute parts on Genos without looking at a screen; obviously, they can be muted with sliders, but it’s not the same.

I can’t help thinking that Yamaha was forced to use touchscreens just because of its popularity on phones and tablets, but not because there was a real need for it. Whereas on a phone it helps to save space, on a keyboard it’s not that obvious.

Re: SX900 vs Genos comparison.. - 10/10/19 09:13 AM

I agree KNOBS RULE!!!
Posted by: Gunnar Jonny

Re: SX900 vs Genos comparison.. - 10/10/19 09:47 AM

Touch screen, sliders and knobs rule.
And the more buttons to assign as we want it, the better it is. wink
keys
Posted by: Bachus

Re: SX900 vs Genos comparison.. - 10/10/19 01:31 PM

Wow..

The really nice screen is a strong point of the sx900, while the even nicer screen of Genos is not..

There is so many things not named in this comparisson, its not even funny..
And then i mean things on the Genos..

You want me to make a longlist?

Re: SX900 vs Genos comparison.. - 10/10/19 01:42 PM

Originally Posted By Bachus
Wow..

That would be super Bachus thanx..

Re: SX900 vs Genos comparison.. - 10/10/19 02:01 PM

Originally Posted By Dnj
Wow..

76 keys
Fsr keybed
Aftertouch
6 knobs
9 sliders
Bigger screen
Better buildquallity (despite being plastick, its build like a tank)
More connections
More sounds..
Sa2 sounds
Ensemble voices
Revo drums
3 types of drawbar organs
Huge amount of dsp effects
No build inpeakers (which to me is a pro)
3GB expansion memmory
3rd party expansions, many more then for psr series
Dual audio player
Better bigger and more buttons,

And probably a few more..

Re: SX900 vs Genos comparison.. - 10/10/19 03:50 PM

Well worth a few thousand more then sx900
Posted by: dud

Re: SX900 vs Genos comparison.. - 10/10/19 04:01 PM

donny why are you so intersting in yamahas keys ?

Re: SX900 vs Genos comparison.. - 10/10/19 04:12 PM

Originally Posted By dud
donny why are you so intersting in yamahas keys ?

do you mean keybed feel?
Posted by: DonM

Re: SX900 vs Genos comparison.. - 10/10/19 04:13 PM

Originally Posted By Dnj
Wow..

76 keys
Fsr keybed
Aftertouch
6 knobs
9 sliders
Bigger screen
Better buildquallity (despite being plastick, its build like a tank)
More connections
More sounds..
Sa2 sounds
Ensemble voices
Revo drums
3 types of drawbar organs
Huge amount of dsp effects
No build inpeakers (which to me is a pro)
3GB expansion memmory
3rd party expansions, many more then for psr series
Dual audio player
Better bigger and more buttons,

And probably a few more..

Strange how we have different needs and tastes. 12 of the things you listed have no interest to me and wouldn't make a difference. A few of them, such as the semi-weighted keys, 76 keys, no speakers and SA2 voices are even detrimental to my usage.
Knobs, sliders, bigger screen, Yes to them.
I've had dual players in my Korgs for 10 years or so and don't recall ever using more than one at a time, and actually very seldom at all.
If I were to choose between the 900 and the Genos, it would be a no-brainer for me.
Again, we each have different ways we use arrangers. I would seldom use the Ensemble, as great as it sounds. I don't care if there is more than a couple of good B3 organs. The 76 length means I have to change stands, change bags and arrange things differently when I move it.
I've never run out of memory on any of my arrangers, even Yamahas.
The speakers are not that important either way, but I'd just as soon have them as not.
Now, I totally understand why most people would prefer the Genos, just not me. And it costs quite a bit. smile
My Korg PA4X is ALMOST the perfect arranger for me, but I suppose we'll never have a perfect anything will we?
Posted by: travlin'easy

Re: SX900 vs Genos comparison.. - 10/10/19 04:24 PM

Carol says I'm perfect! wink

Gary cool
Posted by: DonM

Re: SX900 vs Genos comparison.. - 10/10/19 04:26 PM

That's not what she told me!

Re: SX900 vs Genos comparison.. - 10/10/19 04:32 PM

Great post Don M... clap
Posted by: jingleman

Re: SX900 vs Genos comparison.. - 10/10/19 04:37 PM

Originally Posted By DonM
If I were to choose between the 900 and the Genos, it would be a no-brainer for me.

Don...I’m with you on this one.
JM
Posted by: saxxman

Re: SX900 vs Genos comparison.. - 10/10/19 06:58 PM

Ditto on Don's post! I still have PA4x too, so no need for Genos here....
Posted by: Uncle Dave

Re: SX900 vs Genos comparison.. - 10/10/19 10:12 PM

long list

I'll rebute:

76 keys - ---- huge chassis - prefer 61
Fsr keybed - ------ At least the sx is catching up. (baby steps)
Aftertouch -------- never needed/wanted it
6 knobs ------ 6 buttons
9 sliders - ------ you got me there. Sliders are cool
Bigger screen ------- I'm good with 7" (that's what SHE said?)
Better buildquallity -------- it BETTER be for the $$$$$$
More connections - ------ cool to have
More sounds.. ------- So far never wanted for sounds
Sa2 sounds ------- I don't use the SA aspect as much as some
Ensemble voices - ----- this is cool
Revo drums ------- I hear they're cool, but it's a very subtle upgrade
3 types of drawbar organs ------- I just need a good B, and Farfisa
Huge amount of dsp effects - -------Yamaha has always had tons of effects
No build inpeakers (which to me is a pro) ------- HUGE downer - speakers are a must for THIS pro
3GB expansion memmory ------- 3 to 1 ain't bad (bad Meatloaf reference)
3rd party expansions, many more then for psr series ------- We'll see
Dual audio player ------- I like two, but one is fine
Better bigger and more buttons, ------- bigger is NOT better for most of my stages. Bigger, PLUS the extra amps needed .... ------ too much bulk for this guy

Just one man's opinion, and why they will most likely sell gazillions more 900s than Genos'.
Posted by: rikkisbears

Re: SX900 vs Genos comparison.. - 10/10/19 10:25 PM

[quote=DonM[/quote]

Must admit at this stage, the sx900 was a no brainer for me too. But for different reasons .
Didn’t want to spend nearly 2 1/2times what I paid for the SX900.
Wanted to see how much I enjoyed the Yamaha vs the korgs I’ve had for the past 10 years. ( my psrs950. I didn’t really play till recently)
If they bring out a 61 note version of the Genos, then I might consider it down the track.
At the moment I’m really happy with my choice. I really don’t need more.
Posted by: DannyUK

Re: SX900 vs Genos comparison.. - 10/11/19 12:11 AM

Strange how we have different needs and tastes. 12 of the things you listed have no interest to me and wouldn't make a difference. A few of them, such as the semi-weighted keys, 76 keys, no speakers and SA2 voices are even detrimental to my usage.
Knobs, sliders, bigger screen, Yes to them.
I've had dual players in my Korgs for 10 years or so and don't recall ever using more than one at a time, and actually very seldom at all.
Again, we each have different ways we use arrangers. I would seldom use the Ensemble, as great as it sounds. I don't care if there is more than a couple of good B3 organs. The 76 length means I have to change stands, change bags and arrange things differently when I move it.
I've never run out of memory on any of my arrangers, even Yamahas.
The speakers are not that important either way, but I'd just as soon have them as not.
Now, I totally understand why most people would prefer the Genos, just not me. And it costs quite a bit. smile
My Korg PA4X is ALMOST the perfect arranger for me, but I suppose we'll never have a perfect anything will we?

This is a fantastic reply and I couldn't have said it better.

If I wanted a Genos I would have one by now, but some of what it offers over the SX900 would be of no use to me much and could even be a determent rather than an advantage (size etc..). This is why the SX900 is a perfect balance because it has a lot of Genos, all the styles that sound exactly the same plus most of the sounds, a lot of the features all in a perfectly sized package at half the price. Remember, bigger isn't always better!
Posted by: Gunnar Jonny

Re: SX900 vs Genos comparison.. - 10/11/19 04:47 AM

Originally Posted By travlin'easy
Carol says I'm perfect! wink

That's not what she told me!

Lovely humor at this site, it's so refreshing and placed a big grin on my face!!
(Myself I hardly dare to write such comments or jokes without use my native language.
Tried a few times during the years, but it was misunderstood and it made some fuss.....)
Posted by: Bernie9

Re: SX900 vs Genos comparison.. - 10/11/19 05:03 AM

Gunnar

As many years you have been on this forum, I doubt anyone that knows you could be offended.

Bernie

Re: SX900 vs Genos comparison.. - 10/11/19 12:20 PM

Originally Posted By Uncle Dave
long list

I'll rebute:

76 keys - ---- huge chassis - prefer 61
Fsr keybed - ------ At least the sx is catching up. (baby steps)
Aftertouch -------- never needed/wanted it
6 knobs ------ 6 buttons
9 sliders - ------ you got me there. Sliders are cool
Bigger screen ------- I'm good with 7" (that's what SHE said?)
Better buildquallity -------- it BETTER be for the $$$$$$
More connections - ------ cool to have
More sounds.. ------- So far never wanted for sounds
Sa2 sounds ------- I don't use the SA aspect as much as some
Ensemble voices - ----- this is cool
Revo drums ------- I hear they're cool, but it's a very subtle upgrade
3 types of drawbar organs ------- I just need a good B, and Farfisa
Huge amount of dsp effects - -------Yamaha has always had tons of effects
No build inpeakers (which to me is a pro) ------- HUGE downer - speakers are a must for THIS pro
3GB expansion memmory ------- 3 to 1 ain't bad (bad Meatloaf reference)
Better bigger and more buttons, ------- bigger is NOT better for most of my stages. Bigger, PLUS the extra amps needed .... ------ too much bulk for this guy

Just one man's opinion, and why they will most likely sell gazillions more 900s than Genos'.

There is only one reason they sell more sx900’s then Genos..
Most people can’t afford, or don’t want to pay Genos money..

Re: SX900 vs Genos comparison.. - 10/11/19 01:52 PM

There is only one reason they sell more sx900’s then Genos..
Most people can’t afford, or don’t want to pay Genos money..

That's SO not true. I just listed more than enough reasons why many more players will choose the 900. These are not 2 competitors .... they are 2 different instruments with different demographics. For me, and many like me, I wouldn't take a Genos on the job even if I was given one for free. It's simply not a good fit for my situation, and many players use a system like mine for their bread and butter every week.

With THAT said, I think the Genos sounds absolutely amazing in the Sweetwater demos, but I've head lots of lack-luster performances, as well.
Give a listen to the best demo I've heard so far:
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Genos--yamaha-genos-76-key-arranger-workstation

Give me built in speakers!!! smile
Posted by: jingleman

Re: SX900 vs Genos comparison.. - 10/11/19 04:26 PM

I'm good with 7" (that's what SHE said?)

Dave...I thought we were being honest here smile

Re: SX900 vs Genos comparison.. - 10/12/19 06:03 AM

long list

I'll rebute:

76 keys - ---- huge chassis - prefer 61. —- its only 2” wider then a Tyros 61
Fsr keybed - ------ At least the sx is catching up. (baby steps)—- still lagging behind
Aftertouch -------- never needed/wanted it—. You don’t play synth sounds? — or woodwinds and brass?
6 knobs ------ 6 buttons—- the knobs are great, for real time changes.. so i can keep the sliders assigned to volumes or a drawbar organ.
9 sliders - ------ you got me there. Sliders are cool— they are
Bigger screen ------- I'm good with 7" (that's what SHE said?)—- i prefer my 9 “
Better buildquallity -------- it BETTER be for the $$$$$$—— thats what we talking about, why its more expensive?
More connections - ------ cool to have— definately trie
More sounds.. ------- So far never wanted for sounds—- i do, its the top lof their sounds, that never made it to the psr-s and sx
Sa2 sounds ------- I don't use the SA aspect as much as some—- but again they are top of the tops
Ensemble voices - ----- this is cool—- and very usefull
Revo drums ------- I hear they're cool, but it's a very subtle upgrade—-also the drum edditor is great
3 types of drawbar organs ------- I just need a good B, and Farfisa—. Overhere in europe we use more different types of organs
Huge amount of dsp effects - -------Yamaha has always had tons of effects—- being able to chain 4 effects on a single sound is a really pro feature..
No build inpeakers (which to me is a pro) ------- HUGE downer - speakers are a must for THIS pro—- Yes, thats why i use external speakers, they are so much better
3GB expansion memmory ------- 3 to 1 ain't bad (bad Meatloaf reference)...untill you realize that top piano sounds are 1GB in size..
Better bigger and more buttons, ------- bigger is NOT better for most of my stages. Bigger, PLUS the extra amps needed .... ------ too much bulk for this guy_———. Ease of use is a thing...

The difference is huge... thats why the sx-900 in all things is a baby Genos...

Re: SX900 vs Genos comparison.. - 10/12/19 06:09 AM

baby genos or not if people hardly don't need or use much of the features listed & just want to turn on and play whats the sense of buying one ..?

Re: SX900 vs Genos comparison.. - 10/12/19 01:34 PM

Originally Posted By jingleman
I'm good with 7" (that's what SHE said?)

Dave...I thought we were being honest here smile

(smile) prove me wrong!
Posted by: Bernie9

Re: SX900 vs Genos comparison.. - 10/13/19 01:48 AM

I have never seen UD stumped for a come back.lol

Re: SX900 vs Genos comparison.. - 10/13/19 11:13 AM

smile
Posted by: Fran Carango

Re: SX900 vs Genos - 10/13/19 02:02 PM

I have letters from two of your ex wives .. rotfl
Posted by: leeboy

Re: SX900 vs Genos - 10/13/19 03:38 PM

I wander...how many of you guys sing at a gig vs no singing.
Let's say for a moment you did not sing at any gigs.....if you could still get them....I bet you might want the Genos for its more and better sounds (especially SA2) as I am guessing most of you guys are pretty good singers and that is your main Arranger VOICE so to speak. See...with me and others that play at home an don't sing, sound is everything...features are nice, and both have plenty, but the sound quality is critical. And for me Orchestral sounds are very important. Don't need any distorted guitars (well maybe occasionally!)but love the nice clean ones, Piano needs to be outstanding as well Genos CX7 Grand is superb for piano solos....

BUT cost is a big consideration and the 900 is still a great instrument...

When I played organ, I chose Thomas (Had a trionon for a while...last one I had was a Celebrety Royale) , then Yamaha after that....both mostly for sound quality. Loved the Thomas cabinets too, and Yamaha had great playing features. (Had a HS8T for several years)

For my needs if I can come up with the cash...I'm getting a Genos.

Re: SX900 vs Genos - 10/13/19 03:48 PM

Audiences LOVE singers cool2

Lee are you buying a genos... by your post it seems the logical choice?

Re: SX900 vs Genos - 10/13/19 05:03 PM

Donny, If I can raise the funds.....
and I submit if a player does NOT sing, AND they do not do Gigs, they want a Genos at home. Just think about it a while...same reason I bought high end organs in the 70's, 80's and they cost a H of a lot more than a Genos.

If I can not get the Genos, the SX900 is still one nice kbd and I will enjoy it.

Re: SX900 vs Genos - 10/13/19 05:10 PM

Lee whatever you choose make great music!

Re: SX900 vs Genos comparison.. - 10/13/19 05:31 PM

Dave, the Sweetwater demo was ok, showed some features....not much of what he played was of interest to me....trying to appeal to younger crowd I guess.
I like Peter Bartmanns demos of Genos real well.
Thanks for the link...love Sweetwater, used to live 15 min drive from them...used to there, ask for a couple keyboards to demo, they would get them from stock, set them up in a room and leave me alone for a while...great people!

Re: SX900 vs Genos comparison.. - 10/13/19 08:02 PM

Originally Posted By Fran Carango
I have letters from two of your ex wives .. rotfl

Technically ... I only HAVE two. I had one marriage annulled. In my mind, I have
1) a high school sweetheart (Marie)
2) an ex wife of almost 20 years (Donna)
and...
3) a midlife crisis that should've been a sports car (her name shall not be spoken) smile

I have life long friends, and family, and 4 amazing kids from #1, and #2, and no heart scars at all from #3. All that did was cost me money, and embarrassment, and I've been there before - no big deal. smile

Re: SX900 vs Genos comparison.. - 10/13/19 08:05 PM

Originally Posted By leeboy

I like Peter Bartmanns demos of Genos real well.

There's lots of great Genos content out there. Something for every taste ... except serious singers. (lol)
I know, I know ... the sx900 has the same harmonizer - I will use outboard TC gear when needed. (most times)

Re: SX900 vs Genos comparison.. - 10/13/19 08:05 PM

Hi Lee,
hope you get the funds together for a Genos, if not , the SX900 is pretty good.
The sx 900 and Genos share quite a few of the same styles, definitely not all, there again I think sx has a few Genos doesn’t have.

Slowly going balmy , I think, after auditioning 1,000’s of the factory styles and deleting duplicates.Finally seeing a light at the end of the tunnel, thank goodness.
Still I got quite a few out of it.

Re: SX900 vs Genos comparison.. - 10/15/19 04:53 AM

Rikki,
Thanks....I need to go somewhere and test out the sounds so I can see how good they are....I know Genos is superb, If the 900 is close...I will probably get that as it is a lot less $$.
I always consider you the Style Lady....or the Lady with Style as well!
Good luck sorting and organizing...
Lee

Re: SX900 vs Genos comparison.. - 10/15/19 12:36 PM

Originally Posted By leeboy
Rikki,
Thanks....I need to go somewhere and test out the sounds so I can see how good they are....I know Genos is superb, If the 900 is close...I will probably get that as it is a lot less $$.
I always consider you the Style Lady....or the Lady with Style as well!
Good luck sorting and organizing...
Lee

Hi Lee
unfortunately for me, don’t really have the opportunity of doing a test on a Genos without a 6 to 7 hr drive.
Then as you mentioned also there’s a lot of difference in price. For me Genos was nearly 2 1/2 times the price. I get a really good price thru my regular dealer, they don’t handle the Genos.
After being so involved in korgs for the last 10 years, it’s a big change to swap back to Yamaha. Sooner do my brand change test on the sx than a Genos.

So far it’s been great sorting thru the older styles. Didn’t want to miss out on the ones that will be useful. Piano ballads, and styles from the movie/show catergory, there’s a number of them in the sx, but quite a few were dropped over the years.

The onboard Styles for the old 50s/60s numbers are great with the doowop type voices in the background. Kind of inspiring, have to check back thru my old song albums to see what tunes I have that I can play with these styles.

Either way, which ever one you decide to get , pretty sure it should suit you in regards to the style of music you like to play. I think we had similar tastes.

Re: SX900 vs Genos comparison.. - 10/17/19 05:03 AM

Rikki,
Yep some of the same interest in types of music...you converted some Andrew L Webber styles for me. From a critical listening view....if you get some time...tell me how the Orchestral sounds quality is, please. You know the sounds for playing beautiful instrumentals. ( I don't sing so sound quality IS my voice).
Good to hear about the 50/60 styles being nice. Yes, due to cost I am leaning towards the SX900 now too. I hope the keybed is a lot better than the S970 as it was noisey and toy like to me anyways.
Later....
Lee

Re: SX900 vs Genos comparison.. - 10/17/19 11:34 AM

Hi Lee,
can only compare keybed to my ex psrs 950, it is better. Has a better feel and not as clunky.
I’ll try and check out some voices for you.

I did download a Symphonic Yem pak yesterday, haven’t tried it yet, not even sure what’s on it, but it was free from Yamaha Website. It may only be styles, not sure.

Details from site

Created for supporting educational programs for digital keyboards in music schools and arts schools, the Russian Educational Style Pack includes various styles based on symphonic music. You can classical works by Bach, Mozart, Tchaikovsky, Rachmaninov, Glinka and other famous composers. You can get unique symphonic waltzes and marches, baroque music and historic dances (polka, minuet, polonaise and other) as Styles. In addition, this Expansion pack contains Styles for electronic music, the arrangement from digital keyboards class in music schools.

Re: SX900 vs Genos comparison.. - 10/17/19 12:22 PM

Originally Posted By rikkisbears
Hi Lee,

I did download a Symphonic Yem pak yesterday, haven’t tried it yet, not even sure what’s on it, but it was free from Yamaha Website. It may only be styles, not sure.

Hi , double checked, picture says style expansion, not voice and style.