SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#476642 - 09/24/19 09:34 AM TC Helicon Vocal Harmony variations
sparky589 Offline

Loc: NJ
Can anyone tell me, how much does the VH differ in terms of sound and quality, between the older Harmony M, the current VH-K, and the version installed in current keyboards? Not so interested in depth of controls, but in differences or improvements in sounds from all mentioned. Don M, I know you've had all three..like to hear from anybody who has used 2 or 3 asked about,

#476644 - 09/24/19 10:01 AM Re: TC Helicon Vocal Harmony variations [Re: sparky589]
montunoman Offline

Loc: Dallas, Texas
I have both the Harmony M and VH K. I don’t think one really sounds better than the other, but I prefer the Harmony M for ease of operation. Also for me, the built-in VH on my Yamaha, Ketron, and Korg do a better of harmonizing my voice. I’m not a “ power singer” at all, so I’m sure many singers would disagree. I use the keyboard’s internal harmonizer for low volume gigs and stand alone units for high volume gigs.

www.youtube.com/channel/UCV94i--V-A8kZShmGTKyDOw

https://www.facebook.com/elgrupocache

#476650 - 09/24/19 11:20 AM Re: TC Helicon Vocal Harmony variations [Re: montunoman]
Dnj Offline

Personally it's just ok and limited, but better then VH1 at the time, & doesn't come close to the TC Helicon in a Pa3x, Pa4x etc,
for tracking vocals and quality ..
That said you really have to know how & when to use VH in a song...
going IN & OUT just as if you had backup singers standing behind you.
I learned so much from my Mentor Uncle Dave thru the years
using VH a true master which I will always be grateful..

Edited by Dnj (09/25/19 06:38 AM)

#476651 - 09/24/19 11:22 AM Re: TC Helicon Vocal Harmony variations [Re: sparky589]
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
I've had almost every harmonizer in production, and I favor the TC stuff by a landslide. They "scoop" better. (follow sliding from note to note). Most come from the factory with effects I turn off, like auto vibrato, and portamento. I don't want an artificial vibrato competing with my vocal choices. There's little difference in tone between TC models, but the higher up you go, you get more processing power, so you can have more voices simultaneously. My VL-3 has a huge choir section that can layer with 4 additional harmony voices. That equates to something like 10, or more voices at once. Beautiful, and rich, when used effectively.

Here are my tips for getting the most from whatever unit you use: The two biggest techniques that improve singing with a harmonizer are
1) rhythm choices by the singer (simpler phrases sound more realistic than busier ones), and
2) proper balance between lead, and harmony. Most times, when I listen to others, I hear the harmonies too loud compared to the lead. Balance is crucial in making the harmony voices sound more authentic.

The less vibrato you use, and the smoother your voice leadings are will give you a much better vocal ensemble sound. I like to use a "Lettermen"esq approach to singing harmonies, and go between unison, and harmony within a phrase. A good example is the intro to the Duprees version of "You Belong To Me".
They start with unison "Ahhhhhs" then break into 4 parts in the second measure. It's sonically stunning, and very satisfying.

#476653 - 09/24/19 11:30 AM Re: TC Helicon Vocal Harmony variations [Re: sparky589]
Bernie9 Offline

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
What about VH over SMF? I have never been able o achieve satisfactory results.

#476654 - 09/24/19 11:32 AM Re: TC Helicon Vocal Harmony variations [Re: Bernie9]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By Bernie9

Bernie Roland units do that just about the best I ever heard....
ask Fran about that ..

#476657 - 09/24/19 12:20 PM Re: TC Helicon Vocal Harmony variations [Re: Bernie9]
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Originally Posted By Bernie9

It has nothing to do with the brand. Some midi FILES have individual note date that doesn't track well, but a chord usually gives a better signal to read.
As long as the midi data is set to the same channel as the harmonizer, it should be no problem, but I've always triggered my harmonizer from my chord hand.

#476672 - 09/24/19 03:11 PM Re: TC Helicon Vocal Harmony variations [Re: sparky589]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
The one in the Korg PA4X works best for me, and is mostly automatic.
I prefer the Harmony M to the new VH K because of the simplicity of operation, however I don't hear a difference in sound. You can access many more functions on both via software, but I've never done that.
Most of the time all I want is one voice above mine.
I've never been please with the Yamaha harmonizer, although it is usable if you spend enough time setting it up. The Ketron is very good. The more recent Rolands don't have one.

#476686 - 09/25/19 04:04 AM Re: TC Helicon Vocal Harmony variations [Re: sparky589]
Bernie9 Offline

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
Thanks guys. I am getting better results so far. I must not have had it set up right in my Pa4X. Is the midi data transmitted over the lead channel, like ch 4 on Tune 1000 files? My default was ch 5.

#476701 - 09/25/19 08:42 AM Re: TC Helicon Vocal Harmony variations [Re: sparky589]
TedS Offline

Loc: North Texas, USA
I don't sing, but I've studied arranger behavior for 13 years. At least up through the Tyros 5, Yamahas have what I would call "hair trigger" chord recognition. Depending on what chord input mode you use (multi finger, AI fingered, etc.), Yamaha may prematurely acknowledge a chord as soon as the first key is pressed, and then change it once all the notes are down steady. [If you want to see this for yourself, do a quick record that contains a lot of fast chord progressions, then play it back at a much slower tempo. Watch the arranger fumble around changing its choices in the "Chord" area of the main display. The recorded midi will also be loaded with portamento control events.]

If that same logic is driving Yamaha's vocal harmony voices, I can see why they would sound slurred, or also have a portamento effect.

IMO Korg has the most decisive chord recognition, although you have to "lead" the arranger a little bit to make sure the chord is recognized on the beat. That could be why everyone says Korg's VH is the best.

Edited by TedS (09/26/19 09:05 AM)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online