SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#476533 - 09/23/19 08:51 AM Has anyone else ever noticed....
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
A vast change in sounds of earlier arrangers to current models... and I don't mean, in a good way smile

Take a Korg PA1x or maybe a PA2x, and compare to the PA series today.

Take a Roland G70 , and compare it to BK's or E-A7..

The older models have a more analog feel to them, more punch, not as thin sounding as the newer models..

There may be many reasons but my guess would be the samples themselves, but mostly ac/dc converters were of better quality on flagship models of yesteryear.

I have had the chance to compare the above often, and know there is a difference.

What do you folks that have owned both think?

#476546 - 09/23/19 10:11 AM Re: Has anyone else ever noticed.... [Re: Fran Carango]
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
Modern DACs are way better than in the older models, and providing the associated components are of good quality and design you get less distortion, wider dynamic range and less noise, the downside is that they show up inconsistences in voices that the older versions masked, hence some of the older voices that have not been reworked have their flaws exposed, but newer voices have a quality of sound that older models cannot compete with. Yes, it can make some voices sound thin when compared to older models, but in fact it’s the older models that are muddy.
It’s like comparing vinyl to CD, the vinyl has warmth that the CD lacks, but when you compare them both with real instruments, you realise that vinyl is not as good (Accurate) as you thought it was, whereas the CD (If correctly recorded) sounds virtually identical.

Bill

#476559 - 09/23/19 11:05 AM Re: Has anyone else ever noticed.... [Re: Fran Carango]
Bachus Offline

Originally Posted By Fran Carango
A vast change in sounds of earlier arrangers to current models... and I don't mean, in a good way smile

The older models have a more analog feel to them, more punch, not as thin sounding as the newer models..

There may be many reasons but my guess would be the samples themselves, but mostly ac/dc converters were of better quality on flagship models of yesteryear.

I have had the chance to compare the above often, and know there is a difference.

Its the other way around...
The more analogue sound is in general created by {unwanted} harmonics
The newer dacs are much better and so are cleaner not creating those harmonics
And not just the dacs... also the samples.. they are much cleaner because of better technollogy

http://keyszone.boards.net

#476562 - 09/23/19 11:39 AM Re: Has anyone else ever noticed.... [Re: Bachus]
Fran Carango Offline

Originally Posted By Bachus
Originally Posted By Fran Carango

Its the other way around...
The more analogue sound is in general created by {unwanted} harmonics
The newer dacs are much better and so are cleaner not creating those harmonics
And not just the dacs... also the samples.. they are much cleaner because of better technollogy

Bachus I know I am in the minority but I think the older more analog sounding instruments are more live sounding, and for the most part are more realistic.. Sounds like listening to a band.

Yes the new instruments have a lot of detail, but I find them more brittle, and lack warmth..

Cost of DAC's have come down in price... I wonder why?

When I referred to samples of the old/new instruments I am talking about initial sample size and less resampling to fit the newer instruments.. I don't have the answer , but almost anyone that has the older instruments I mentioned will attest to that.

Edited by Fran Carango (09/23/19 11:41 AM)

#476582 - 09/23/19 02:27 PM Re: Has anyone else ever noticed.... [Re: Fran Carango]
TedS Offline

Loc: North Texas, USA
Since memory and processing power are much more affordable today, there's no technological reason why sound quality should go down. That being said, the G-70 was a TOTL board and technology was ALREADY quite advanced by 2006. So any further improvements since then are incremental.

Where you really see it is with the low-end boards, which now sound almost as good as TOTL from years ago. Listen to some demos of Casio AiX, or Jeremy See's comparison between the Roland X-30 (not a real Roland BTW) and the Yamaha EW-410 (Ew! I know ;-) Don't like the feature sets on these, but they both sound good.

If the sound quality seems worse on today's TOTL, I suspect it has to do with effects, mastering, and EQ (all of which are user-adjustable), not the base sound samples or the DAC. My $.02

#476588 - 09/23/19 04:03 PM Re: Has anyone else ever noticed.... [Re: TedS]
bruno123 Online   content

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
At one time Yamaha saxes, trumpets, and guitar were made so perfect, so clear, but they eliminated some of the overtones which gave the instruments its warmth. It is the same with a piano.

Fran may have a good point, John C.

#476589 - 09/23/19 04:05 PM Re: Has anyone else ever noticed.... [Re: Fran Carango]
Crossover Offline

I think there was a similar discussion when Tyros 5 came out and some said Tyros 4 had the better sounds (to which I wouldn't agree as far as I heard comparisons).
The older samples sometimes sound more direct, newer ones sometimes have more off-mic ambiance, pp and p velocity layers and things like that, which can make them sound more indirect.
I remember when I got the Roland Juno Stage in exchange for my old XP 80, I had some problems getting the Juno Stage pianos sound direct enough compared to the old XP 80 "piano", which consisted of a very short, looped fortissimo piano sample, but sounded very direct via speakers (however in no way realistic).

Edited by Crossover (09/23/19 04:20 PM)

#476591 - 09/23/19 04:33 PM Re: Has anyone else ever noticed.... [Re: Fran Carango]
Fran Carango Offline

Here is a video talking about the same thing we are discussing.

#476592 - 09/23/19 04:45 PM Re: Has anyone else ever noticed.... [Re: Fran Carango]
Crossover Offline

In this example, the samples are obviously the same...
I wouldn‘t be surprised in the case of Roland E-80 vs BK-9 if Roland Europe even took the stupid step to compress some samples. The last years of Roland Europe were surely marked by some strange moves. But it could also be a different eq mastering...

#476629 - 09/24/19 06:53 AM Re: Has anyone else ever noticed.... [Re: Fran Carango]
wrinkles303 Offline

Loc: worthington ,ohio
i've been saying this since i went from the korg i series to the pa series. on my cds i use a horn section from the korg i5s . it sounded like a real horn section of a band. never could duplicate that sound on my pa600. i came close but it never had that warm soulful sound. and the drums (although tweakable) doesnt have that
warmth or soulful funk. i was told then its whats you are use to hearing. its been 12 years and my recording still sounded better with my old roland D-20 and korg I5s. maybe "the latest is not always better". im considering going back to the older stuff.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online