SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#4757 - 03/15/04 01:24 PM Very Old Software, Apple IIe and Yamaha
Anonymous
Unregistered

Back in the early 80's when I was using my Apple IIe with my DX-7, I bought a patch editor by Yamaha called "DX-Pro". I still have this program and was wondering if anyone else knows anything about it. It used a graphical representation of the edited waveforms in real time and the changes to the sounds were immediate. Just wondering if anyone knows if this program was ported over to the PC.....'Couse, I still have the apple, midi quest interface, and the DX-7, but the apple hasn't been turned on in many, many years.
Thanks!

#4758 - 03/15/04 08:19 PM Re: Very Old Software, Apple IIe and Yamaha
Bluezplayer Offline

Loc: Catskill Mountains, NY
My memory doesn't serve me well enough to be certain, and I wouldn't swear to it, but I think that this program or something very similar to it may have also appeared on the Atari platform. Not sure at all if it ever made it to "PC".

I still have a ton of Atari based programs that I can use via the "Steem" virtual Atari emulator for PC. There is a DX7 patch edit program listed at Tim Conrardy's Atari midi website, but I have no idea whether it is similar to what you have. You could check it out if you wanted to at: http://tamw.atari-users.net/timidi.htm

The PLG150-DX plug in for the Motif and Other Yamaha synths has a similar editor. I know it works with a graphical interfacesuch as the one you describe. If I read correctly, it can also edit the patches on a DX-7. It was available with Yamaha XG works soft sequencer, and likely with the plug in itself as well, but you would have to do a search to see if a standalone version exists if you don't have XG works or another way to acess the plug in.

Regards,

AJ

#4759 - 03/15/04 08:40 PM Re: Very Old Software, Apple IIe and Yamaha
3351 Offline

Loc: Toronto, Canada.
Ok Ithought I was the only guy here who still likes to tweak his DX7. Being a Mac fanatic I can't really say anything beyond the fact that I've heard of some graphic DX editors for PC, but since I don't use my PC for music, I can't confirm.
Say...could you e-mail me that software that you got? I'm just curious if it will actually work on either of my Macs. let me know if you can do it, so I can make my e-mail address available (I normally hide it, too much spam nowadays)

thanks in advance.

-ED-

[This message has been edited by 3351 (edited 03-15-2004).]

#4760 - 03/16/04 05:20 AM Re: Very Old Software, Apple IIe and Yamaha
Anonymous
Unregistered

Well, I would be glad to e-mail it to you...but it is still on the original Apple floppy, and it is copy protected also. I never was able to crack the copy protection of this disk. I have/had copy II+ along with the hardware copy card, a hardware ramdisk, a mockingboard, and the MIDI interface in my old apple. Maybe there's an emulator program out there that will read the apple format on a pc. Anyone know about this?

Thanks!

#4761 - 03/16/04 08:11 PM Re: Very Old Software, Apple IIe and Yamaha
Bluezplayer Offline

Loc: Catskill Mountains, NY
http://www.emulators.com/softmac.htm

I know virtually nothing about macs, so I don't know if this would take you back far enough to the platform your program is from, but maybe it's worth a look.

For what it's worth, the Atari emulator works flawlessly on this computer ( XP ). All the Atari music programs I have are just as quirky ( but in a good way too ) as they were on the original Atari platform.

AJ

Moderator:  Admin, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online