SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#47536 - 10/09/05 05:52 PM Secure Digital Card is 2 GB
BEBOP Offline

Loc: San Jose, California
I am looking at an ad from our biggest electronic and computer store here and there is an ad for a 2 GB Secure Digital Card that is high speed 133X,
$129.00 net at Fry's Electronics also on line as Outpost.com

Bebop

#47537 - 10/09/05 08:23 PM Re: Secure Digital Card is 2 GB
KeithB Offline

Loc: Melbourne AUSTRALIA
Bebop,
I'm curious, what you would put on it to absorb 2GB? I feel musically insignifcant with my 256MB on the KN7000 (and only half used) and 128MB on the G-70 (only about one third used!!). I certainly would be interested in learning what keyboard players put on these large cards.
Regards
Keith

#47538 - 10/10/05 01:58 AM Re: Secure Digital Card is 2 GB
RMepstead Offline

Loc: Wootton Bassett - Wiltshire - ...
It's quite straightforward Keith - say you get a gig that requires some live playing and some 'disco' maybe lasting over 5 hours in total - not unusual particularly New Year's Eve or similar.
You need a very large SD Card to hold botn your arranger registrations for live play and in addition all your prerecorded material that you've loaded through jukebox.
Now if addition to that you intend to display changing pictures whilst using sequenced material then you'd pretty soon gobble up 2GB.
Rog

#47539 - 10/10/05 02:50 AM Re: Secure Digital Card is 2 GB
technicsplayer Offline

Technics files, midi files and photos are insignificant in relation to a 2GB card and the maximum number possible will be reached way before you are anywhere near 2GB. The difference is audio where 2GB is not enough space to accomodate all the audio songs possible.

#47540 - 10/10/05 03:03 AM Re: Secure Digital Card is 2 GB
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
As Keyboards get evermore complex, and incorporate higher quality sample voices, (Typically 24bit 96Khz) the more memory is required to store them, (Not forgetting all the Audio and Mp3 files that need to be stored) this is why most keyboards these days come with hard disk drives, as normal solid state memory is just not large enough. (For instance my Wersi Abacus has a 40Gb drive but all the latest models have an 80Gb drive, with 200Gb upgrade option) compared to these hard disks even 2Gb is small.
WORD OF WARNING Not all SD Interfaces can Read or Write to these faster cards, and can also be limited to 512Mb, so before purchasing, check your interface will accept them.

Bill

#47541 - 10/10/05 03:59 AM Re: Secure Digital Card is 2 GB
RMepstead Offline

Loc: Wootton Bassett - Wiltshire - ...
Yea that's the word Alec - 'audio' - in other words downloads from CD's...My command of the english language gets worse the older I get - thanks...
Rog

#47542 - 10/10/05 04:01 AM Re: Secure Digital Card is 2 GB
technicsplayer Offline

7k and tyros 2 are rom sounds and not samplers and windows machines and just have 2 track audio playback or recording so the requirements on large space are rather less. 40 gig is rather light for the capabilities of abacus in my opinion. SD playback for instance is aac and thus the space required is only a tenth of that required for wave, at no subjective difference, so again raw GB figures mean little without looking at the exact feature differences involved.

#47543 - 10/10/05 04:04 AM Re: Secure Digital Card is 2 GB
technicsplayer Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by RMepstead:
Yea that's the word Alec - 'audio' - in other words downloads from CD's...My command of the english language gets worse the older I get - thanks...
Rog

it happens to all of us there are some very good karaoke audio recordings about with full original arrangements which sound wonderful with 7k lead voices.

#47544 - 10/10/05 04:50 AM Re: Secure Digital Card is 2 GB
Sandgroper Offline

Loc: Busselton, Western Australia
[QUOTE]Originally posted by technicsplayer:
[B] it happens to all of us there are some very good karaoke audio recordings about with full original arrangements which sound wonderful with 7k lead voices.

That sounds interesting Alec. Always been a play it live or forget it man 'til now but there are some things in the Rock line I just can't do to my satisfaction.Could you point me in the direction of the above sites, and I'll polish up my vocals
regards
Eddie

#47545 - 10/10/05 05:47 AM Re: Secure Digital Card is 2 GB
technicsplayer Offline

the sunfly collection is very good and can be recommended: http://www.sunflykaraoke.com/
naturally you'll need the Jukebox package to get the audio on SD, but also a cd+g capable optical drive (nero info tool will tell) and ripper like audiograbber.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online