SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#474955 - 08/26/19 07:53 AM Hitting a ceiling..
Bachus Offline

Despite all my effort my piano training seems stagnant now for almost a year..

So we are off on our vacation in our cabin in the woods..
I took the Genos with me..

And after a few days i came to the surprising conclusion
That when i play my piano parts on the Genos, they sound more dynamic then when played on the modx.. or any other hammer mechanic keyboard..

The fsr keybed just allows me to play more dynamic then the heavier Modx keyboard..
Even when playing very delicate pieces..

Makes me wonder if i am to old for developing the fine feeling with hammer action keys..

http://keyszone.boards.net

#474957 - 08/26/19 08:21 AM Re: Hitting a ceiling.. [Re: Bachus]
jingleman Offline

Loc: The Villages, FL, USA
Bachus, I give you credit for taking piano lessons. I don’t think I would have the patience at my age. Hang in there with them. Improvement may happen at a slower pace, but you’ll get to where you want to be.
JM

#474959 - 08/26/19 08:31 AM Re: Hitting a ceiling.. [Re: Bachus]
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
I've found over the years that key feel is "maybe" just as important, as sounds, when determining the overall tone of an instrument. Some tones sound better with outboard controllers, and some are paired perfectly with the organic hardware. It's possible that the velocity curve in the Genos is just better suited to your touch, even though you're comfortable playing the MO. Some instruments just sounds better, when they can be played with the artist's expression, and nuance choices.
Sounds like a win/win for you!

#474969 - 08/26/19 09:09 AM Re: Hitting a ceiling.. [Re: Uncle Dave]
Bachus Offline

Originally Posted By Uncle Dave
I've found over the years that key feel is "maybe" just as important, as sounds, when determining the overall tone of an instrument. Some tones sound better with outboard controllers, and some are paired perfectly with the organic hardware. It's possible that the velocity curve in the Genos is just better suited to your touch, even though you're comfortable playing the MO. Some instruments just sounds better, when they can be played with the artist's expression, and nuance choices.
Sounds like a win/win for you!

Thanks for the tip, i will check out the vellocity curve on the Modx when i get home....i might have to addapt it to me having mostly trouble hitting notes ff and fff...

#474970 - 08/26/19 09:14 AM Re: Hitting a ceiling.. [Re: Bachus]
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Easy fix. I set the curve on my new P-121 to a different setting, and it made a huge difference.

#474983 - 08/26/19 01:19 PM Re: Hitting a ceiling.. [Re: Bachus]
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Hi Bachus,
settings might help. I can get good piano on my Korg, but on my psr ( which I’ve just recently started to use, after x number of years) I couldn’t get the same dynamics, had to hit the keys really hard. Thought it was just the keyboard, then it occurred to me about the setttings changed it from medium to soft and what a difference it made. Don’t think I’ve ever tried changing default setting before on my keyboards, or even my ex Clavinova.

Edited by rikkisbears (08/26/19 01:21 PM)

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#474984 - 08/26/19 01:29 PM Re: Hitting a ceiling.. [Re: rikkisbears]
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Originally Posted By rikkisbears
Hi Bachus,
settings might help. I can get good piano on my Korg, but on my psr ( which I’ve just recently started to use, after x number of years) I couldn’t get the same dynamics, had to hit the keys really hard. Thought it was just the keyboard, then it occurred to me about the setttings changed it from medium to soft and what a difference it made. Don’t think I’ve ever tried changing default setting before on my keyboards, or even my ex Clavinova.

Editing the piano sound will have a big improvement. Change the velocity parameter in sound edit.. This will allow velocity layers of the tone to change.

#474985 - 08/26/19 04:55 PM Re: Hitting a ceiling.. [Re: Fran Carango]
rikkisbears Offline

Thank you Fran, I’ll check into that. Would never have thought of that.
I’ve probably never gotten the best out of piano via synth keys, I was used to the feel of weighted keys on my acoustic and digital pianos.
So I was really happy when even a simple change in setting helped, must have just suited the way I play.

Edited by rikkisbears (08/26/19 05:05 PM)

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#474987 - 08/26/19 10:26 PM Re: Hitting a ceiling.. [Re: Fran Carango]
Bachus Offline

Originally Posted By Fran Carango
Originally Posted By rikkisbears
Hi Bachus,

Editing the piano sound will have a big improvement. Change the velocity parameter in sound edit.. This will allow velocity layers of the tone to change.

Yes, i do realise that..

But currently i also have come to the conclusion that even after a few years of piano training, my fingers are still far more acustomed to the lighter keys of the arranger/synth keybed..

Piano playing goes fairly well on soft pieces that don’t go higher then forte notes.. and lower then pp.. now i could indeed addapt to that on my modx with the vellocity curve... but where does that bring me when playing a real piano where the vellocity isn’t adaptable?

Doesn’t a good piano player adapt to the vellocity curve of a piano?

Where i am at now is making a decision, if its worth continuing playing piano on a hammer action keybed... or if its just as much fun playing piano pieces on the Genos?

Which for me comes as a surprise to myself, as i allways felt at home behind the heavier action, but seems my fingers currently disagree with my mind....

I am offcourse not in a hurry taking a decision on this topic..

#475004 - 08/27/19 04:00 PM Re: Hitting a ceiling.. [Re: Bachus]
rikkisbears Offline

Hi Bachus,
Unless you plan on playing an acoustic piano, does it really matter?
I ended up with a top of the line Clavinova, and it never felt the same as playing my baby grand. I used to spend hours per week doing Hanon exercises building up finger strength.
Enjoyed it at the time, but after I had sell the baby grand (house, downgrade, no space) the clavinova didn’t quite make up for it. Lost interest in playing.

Why not enjoy what works for you,

I’m the opposite, I find the lighter key feel more difficult for a piano piece, there again I haven’t played a fully weighted keyboard for years, so no doubt I’d have to go back to doing exercises to build up the strength and evenness again.

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online