SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#475005 - 08/27/19 04:10 PM Re: Hitting a ceiling.. [Re: Bachus]
Crossover Offline

Originally Posted By Bachus

Doesn’t a good piano player adapt to the vellocity curve of a piano?

Yes, they have to. I remember I struggled with different pianos during my 12 years of piano lessons. The teacher was very strict on dynamics, and the grand pianos during the lessons were so different from my piano at home, sometimes he changed the room and it was a different grand again, all the subtle nuances I had practised at home were gone on the different keybed...

#475006 - 08/27/19 04:46 PM Re: Hitting a ceiling.. [Re: Bachus]
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Crossover, did you learn as a child?

I decided to learn as an adult, ( just a hobby) and was told at the grand old age of 22, that I was too old, my fingers wouldn’t cope. That was before I even had my first lesson. Probably should have found a new teacher immediately . Haha

Edited by rikkisbears (08/27/19 04:57 PM)

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#475009 - 08/27/19 05:29 PM Re: Hitting a ceiling.. [Re: rikkisbears]
Crossover Offline

Originally Posted By rikkisbears
Crossover, did you learn as a child?

I decided to learn as an adult, ( just a hobby) and was told at the grand old age of 22, that I was too old, my fingers wouldn’t cope. That was before I even had my first lesson. Probably should have found a new teacher immediately . Haha

That was really a stupid statement of that teacher...
Yes, I took lessons from age 6 to 19.
I give piano lessons myself now (a few, freelance), and my oldest student is 70. I would never say to anyone that they are too old. It takes longer, you need a lot of patience, but at the same time it‘s the best brain training you can imagine, particularly rewarding for the elderly, even if they won‘t reach the level of giving concerts or such.

#475032 - 08/28/19 01:33 PM Re: Hitting a ceiling.. [Re: Crossover]
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Originally Posted By Crossover

I give piano lessons myself now (a few, freelance), and my oldest student is 70. I would never say to anyone that they are too old. It takes longer, you need a lot of patience, but at the same time it‘s the best brain training you can imagine, particularly rewarding for the elderly, even if they won‘t reach the level of giving concerts or such.

Wow, 70. I’m not quite there yet. Gives one a bit of glimmer of hope that it might not be too late yet to take it up again. Uncle Dave’s thread on his new piano, got me interested again.

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#475050 - 08/28/19 11:51 PM Re: Hitting a ceiling.. [Re: rikkisbears]
Bachus Offline

Originally Posted By rikkisbears
Hi Bachus,
Unless you plan on playing an acoustic piano, does it really matter?
I ended up with a top of the line Clavinova, and it never felt the same as playing my baby grand. I used to spend hours per week doing Hanon exercises building up finger strength.
Enjoyed it at the time, but after I had sell the baby grand (house, downgrade, no space) the clavinova didn’t quite make up for it. Lost interest in playing.

Why not enjoy what works for you,

I’m the opposite, I find the lighter key feel more difficult for a piano piece, there again I haven’t played a fully weighted keyboard for years, so no doubt I’d have to go back to doing exercises to build up the strength and evenness again.

Thats where i am now, why play on the weighted paino action if my main keybaord will probably allways be an arranger key

Why not concentrate my efforts on playing piano style on the arranger?

The only reason withilding me right now is the fact that i am nit one who easilly quits..

But in my vacation cabin, i really enjoy playing my piano parts on the genos..

http://keyszone.boards.net

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online