SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#474527 - 08/12/19 04:08 PM Re: Yamaha P-121 piano w/app [Re: Uncle Dave]
Crossover Offline

That's interesting, thanks. I didn't notice any jumps between the 3 layers when I had the P-115, but 4 layers is definitely what you should expect for a stage piano these days...

#474678 - 08/16/19 08:58 PM Re: Yamaha P-121 piano w/app [Re: Uncle Dave]
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
It's debut time for the P-121 at the winery. I'll let you all know how it goes (went, depending on when you read this)
I'm just bringing the P-121, and one small amp to sing through .... either a Bose S-1pro, or my Boss Acoustic singer. I'm partial to the Boss, because it has a harmonizer, and looper built in. I might feel like using the "icing" if the right moment arises.
For the most part, I expect to play straight Piano, with the added "fluff" of the Bass/Drums for some spice.
I'll post my feelings after the weekend.

#474688 - 08/17/19 02:14 PM Re: Yamaha P-121 piano w/app [Re: Uncle Dave]
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Originally Posted By Uncle Dave
It's debut time for the P-121 at the winery. I'll let you all know how it goes (went, depending on when you read this)
I'm just bringing the P-121, and one small amp to sing through .... either a Bose S-1pro, or my Boss Acoustic singer. I'm partial to the Boss, because it has a harmonizer, and looper built in. I might feel like using the "icing" if the right moment arises.
For the most part, I expect to play straight Piano, with the added "fluff" of the Bass/Drums for some spice.
I'll post my feelings after the weekend.

The Boss VE-8 is the top rated unit in this market.. So have you found out why I like Roland harmonizers? The demos sound good on youtube and I know you like Laura formerly from TC Helicon.
It seems like the perfect tool for Solo guitarist.. We are waiting for a review.

#474691 - 08/17/19 03:28 PM Re: Yamaha P-121 piano w/app [Re: Uncle Dave]
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Hi guys,
Bit confused, which isn’t all that unusual nowadays haha.
The piano doesn’t have midi in/out ports, just a USB port.

I gather it will work with iPad, with some sort of camera cable? I’ve heard of these cables being needed for other things as well.

Big question, will it connect to my laptop so I can use just say band in a box with it, or my sequencer software? Without having to buy some sort of interface.

I was thinking of buying an 88 note controller keyboard, but the salesman suggested a piano, if I didn’t need all the functions of a controller. Not sure he quite got it right as I did mention I wanted to maybe connect my Pa4x.

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#474740 - 08/19/19 09:38 AM Re: Yamaha P-121 piano w/app [Re: Uncle Dave]
Uncle Dave Offline

OK - review time!
First ... the job went very well, and except for some fatigue in my left pinky (heavier action) I was was very comfortable.
Fran, the harmonizer was a minimal tool at this venue, so I won't comment, other than to say, the tracking on this amp is very good. I knew this already from using it with guitar.
Rikki, the USB port connects to the iPad and does everything a midi port can. A simple wire (lightening to USB-B) is all you need to connect.
Having the tempo, transpose, octave shift, and pattern selection on screen makes this piano playable in my style of show. I was very pleased with the tones, and overall sound.
Point of interest: the Rhodes piano on the P-121 is worlds better than I remember in the P-115, and prior. I was very happy with the expression, and sound I got.

A few thoughts about this specific venue:
1) it's a very "live" space, and has too much natural echo, especially when there's lots of people talking .... which is most of the time. This is why I turn off all reverb to minimize the "mud", and clean up my vocals.
2) It's very much a background situation, and not a "listen to me" type show, so I get to work on my instrumental chops more than normal. I have several playlists of accompaniment tracks that I enjoy soloing over. The best sounding ones are from Jam Trax. Real recorded bass and drums. Gives my voice a break, doesn't add to the din of echo in the room, and helps me explore new ideas.
3) Less is more in this room. I think of myself as "musical wallpaper" ... something to be admired, but staying out of sight until the listener chooses to engage.

Overall impression - I like this rig, and I will enjoy using it each month.

#474745 - 08/19/19 11:35 AM Re: Yamaha P-121 piano w/app [Re: rikkisbears]
Uncle Dave Offline

Originally Posted By rikkisbears
will it connect to my laptop so I can use just say band in a box with it,

Yes - a simple usb cable will connect to your laptop.

#474759 - 08/19/19 04:12 PM Re: Yamaha P-121 piano w/app [Re: Uncle Dave]
rikkisbears Offline

Awesome, thank you Dave. Sometimes miss having a piano, the 61 notes on a keyboard isn’t quite enough for the arpeggio style tunes I like to play, I’d probably go for the 88 note version for that reason. Thank you for your review.

The old one man band software or VArranger may get some use yet.

Edited by rikkisbears (08/19/19 04:15 PM)

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#474788 - 08/20/19 01:38 PM Re: Yamaha P-121 piano w/app [Re: rikkisbears]
Uncle Dave Offline

When Roland came out with the “easy eight” card for the E series, Fran, and I were in style heaven. These bread and butter patterns gave us the ability to cover 90% of our repertoire, with no programming. Yamaha has included a similar set of patterns in the P121. I can do almost any request with these included rhythms. Bravo, Yamaha.

Attachments
973B69AC-2D4B-49C6-8F8F-E1D8371C75A1.png

#474789 - 08/20/19 02:56 PM Re: Yamaha P-121 piano w/app [Re: Uncle Dave]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
I sort of miss the days when the first organ 'arrangers' had just a handful of drum beats. Then they came out with automatic bass. Over the years they evolved into the predecessors of what we know today as arrangers.
One of the best days of my life was when I was able to sell my last organ and go to several components that freed me from hauling that beast around!
As I recall, that first setup consisted of a Yamaha PSR 70, midied to a drum machine and a DX 7 for lead sounds.
All the PSR did was generate the tempo and bass line.
Things were a lot more simple as far as arrangements.
Do I really miss those days? NOOOOOO! smile

#474794 - 08/20/19 04:55 PM Re: Yamaha P-121 piano w/app [Re: Uncle Dave]
rikkisbears Offline

Hi Dave,
I remember having the card, but can’t remember what it played, was it only drums?

I’m finding some of my Korg styles a bit too busy, so trying to dumb them down.
Like the piano ballad, works ok with major chords , then gets too busy with the 7th, and no longer suits.

Converted one of the psr styles across because I couldn’t find a Korg style that went really well with the show tunes and old ballads I like to play. This one simple piano style seems to work with a heap of them.

Kind of wish they’d come up with a set of styles that were more basic.

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online