SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#473511 - 07/26/19 01:36 PM Re: 25 or 6 to 4 [Re: jimlaing]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By jimlaing
Hi - thanks for the comments, ideas, and files! I'll try to do this using style(s) first, and I do plan to play (some of) the horn parts, enough to give it the right feel for this song. There's no way I (or likely any one person) could play live all the parts that make up this song ... but perhaps enough, with a good style with good variations, to play it (and have my singer sing it) and have it sound "Decent" but not a "just-like-the-record" version, for a small group... nothing can quite do what Chicago and their horn section can do, though! :-)

Thanks again, will check these files out this weekend . . .
Jim

Can wait to hear your version soon.

#473515 - 07/26/19 02:27 PM Re: 25 or 6 to 4 [Re: jimlaing]
montunoman Offline

Loc: Dallas, Texas
Sounds like a fun challenge. Yes this song has lots of parts but also lots of space to open things up and jam too. Good luck, and I’d love to hear your rendition.

www.youtube.com/channel/UCV94i--V-A8kZShmGTKyDOw

https://www.facebook.com/elgrupocache

#473517 - 07/26/19 02:43 PM Re: 25 or 6 to 4 [Re: jimlaing]
Jerryghr Offline

Loc: Buffalo, NY
This is the site I use for certain songs. You can mute the un-needed tracks.

https://www.karaoke-version.com/custombackingtrack/chicago-band/25-or-6-to-4.html

Regards

Jerryghr

#473530 - 07/26/19 10:16 PM Re: 25 or 6 to 4 [Re: jimlaing]
jimlaing Offline

Loc: Raleigh, NC
One thing I realized is that a major thing that would be able to do using a style is the awesome guitar riffs and such that are a big part of this song .... need a good actual guitar player to pull those off! (or as some mentioned, using an MP3 rather than a style)

(And, not sure if the singer I work with can hit the high notes on this one!) I might have been over-ambitious on thinking a duo could pull this one off! :-)

Looking forward to trying the style out and trying to play along to the MIDI (something I haven't done much of)

Thanks again all,
Jim

#473551 - 07/27/19 08:14 AM Re: 25 or 6 to 4 [Re: jimlaing]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Please post your results, Jim.

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#474669 - 08/16/19 11:42 AM Re: 25 or 6 to 4 [Re: jimlaing]
wrinkles303 Offline

Loc: worthington ,ohio
hey jim,
here is a version i threw together using the gimme some lovin style. we were discussing can if it be done so i thought i would give it a try. its done on my korg pa 600 in two takes recorded on a tascam dp600. i admit its a little sloppy , but i was just curious if it can be done. to me this would be harder to sing than to play. i havent played this in years it probably sounds like it .LOl. enjoy

Attachments
25 or 6.mp3 (65 downloads)

#474674 - 08/16/19 04:39 PM Re: 25 or 6 to 4 [Re: jimlaing]
jimlaing Offline

Loc: Raleigh, NC
Hi - sounds good - you have the essentials in there! I haven't done any recording in a while; just don't think of it. I'm doing a big project of updating quite a few song "charts" (PDF files), and re-vamping registrations for the songs, etc. etc. - takes quite a bit of time. Some time in the future, hopefully I can take a break from all of that and record a few songs!

Thanks for the ideas/support/suggestions!

Today's song that I worked on was "Leader of the Band" - a simple 8beat ballad worked fine, just had to work on the horns part (and play it in Db which is the key my music happens to be in!) Yesterday it was "Jump For My Love" and the Beatles "I Wanna Hold Your Hand". Since I don't sing I hope to record with the singer I work with, at some point ... haven't done any recording in over a year it seems ... oh well ... when time allows I do like to do that ...

-Jim

-J

#474675 - 08/16/19 05:19 PM Re: 25 or 6 to 4 [Re: wrinkles303]
Jerryghr Offline

Loc: Buffalo, NY
Wrinkles,

Excellent job. Very close to the original. One arranger vs 8 musicians in a studio.

Jerryghr

#474686 - 08/17/19 08:00 AM Re: 25 or 6 to 4 [Re: jimlaing]
montunoman Offline

Loc: Dallas, Texas
Great job wrinkles ! With a good lead singer it would take it out of the balk park! But it works just fine as an instrumental too. Thank you for sharing!

www.youtube.com/channel/UCV94i--V-A8kZShmGTKyDOw

https://www.facebook.com/elgrupocache

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online