SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#474620 - 08/15/19 10:15 AM R.I.P.
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
A very close friend of 63 years, and fellow musician, Frank D passed away yesterday after fighting cancer for several years ... Frank, 80 years of age, was the founder and drummer in our NY band, "The Keynotes" ... when we first met as teenagers, we each had our own 'Rock and Roll' band, but shortly after Frank convinced me to join his band, and the rest, as they say, is history ... 26 years together as band mates with the same 3 other guys, we went from playing high school RnR dances, to college parties, and then weddings and dinner dances ... we had quite a history together in what I personally consider the very BEST times for live music - we played in OUR style and people hired us because of it - ... If a company move to RI hadn't taken me away, who knows how long the band would have stayed together, but it was a great run none the less ...
I'll miss my friend Frank, but I know the Great Band in Heaven has another drummer helping them out ...

I realize none of you knew Frank, but I just had to share ...

here are "The Keynotes", circa 1968 ...

Attachments
KEYNOTES 1968 (640x408).jpg

Edited by tony mads usa (08/15/19 10:16 AM)

#474623 - 08/15/19 10:37 AM Re: R.I.P. [Re: tony mads usa]
Riceroni9 Offline

Loc: TX, USA
Nice to know there are people here who think enough of their friends and band-mates to share their loss with us, even though we are complete strangers. Thanks, Tony. You are a "class act" and I'm sure your friend is enjoying that "Heavenly Gig."

R.I.P. Frank D.

----Dave

#474625 - 08/15/19 10:50 AM Re: R.I.P. [Re: tony mads usa]
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
Tony, Sorry to hear of Frank’s passing, I know we spoke about his health problems at breakfast a couple of weeks ago. May he RIP!

#474627 - 08/15/19 10:55 AM Re: R.I.P. [Re: tony mads usa]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Maybe he will save a couple spots in his band for some of us!
Sorry for your loss Tony. Sometimes it is as hard to lose a good friend as it is to lose a family member. Lately I've gotten a little numb because a LOT my contemporaries are leaving.
I hate funerals, but sure do go to a lot of them these days.

#474628 - 08/15/19 11:24 AM Re: R.I.P. [Re: tony mads usa]
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Tony, sorry for your loss..

Like DonM, I am so tired of funerals.. The last 10 days or so.. I have loss a cousin, 3 friends, family members of 2 friends, 4 of my past customers, 3 more classmates, a neighbor, and it looks like I will be losing another neighbor friend soon..

I have stopped going to funerals, I know it is for the benefit of the living, but I am not sure it helps at this stage..

#474629 - 08/15/19 11:48 AM Re: R.I.P. [Re: Riceroni9]
Terrysutt Offline

Loc: United Kingdom
I like to think on this forum,there are no strangers,just friends
who have not yet met.

#474630 - 08/15/19 11:49 AM Re: R.I.P. [Re: Fran Carango]
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Tony, I lost my long time music partner, Tommy Johnston a few years ago. He was 40 and I was around 20 when we joined up. He was my teacher. We worked as a duo in the winter and a trio in the summer, at a chain of Holiday Inns all the time I was in graduate school.

He played B-3 and I played guitar, banjo, mandolin, etc and sang.
As he got older and arthritis set in, I played more bass guitar; then Whirlitzer piano with a Fender finger-bass.

There's nothing like the bond between musicians on the same page.

So sorry for your loss.

Russ

P.S, I still have my Danelectro Sytar/guitar like the one in the photo. You may remember, I posted a photo of Tommy and I from the 70's last year, complete with puffy sleeved shirts, a hippy painted Mosrite double neck guitar and a melodica.

Tommy was a police judge in the daytime. He made the national news when he raided a cock fight. It took a bus to haul in all the people he arrested. The photo of his father getting on the buss was picked up by UPI and circulated all over the country.

I still miss the old SOB.

Edited by captain Russ (08/15/19 11:53 AM)

#474631 - 08/15/19 12:05 PM Re: R.I.P. [Re: tony mads usa]
jingleman Offline

Loc: The Villages, FL, USA
Sorry for your loss Tony. Thoughts and prayers are with you.
JM

#474634 - 08/15/19 12:12 PM Re: R.I.P. [Re: tony mads usa]
montunoman Offline

Loc: Dallas, Texas
I’m so sorry Tony. Cherish all those memories you have of Frank D. It’s a blessing you got to play music together for so many years.

www.youtube.com/channel/UCV94i--V-A8kZShmGTKyDOw

https://www.facebook.com/elgrupocache

#474643 - 08/15/19 03:56 PM Re: R.I.P. [Re: tony mads usa]
W Tracy Parnell Offline

Loc: NY
Sorry for your loss. The funerals do get tiring, my brother-in-law just passed.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online