SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#474560 - 08/13/19 04:27 PM OT A-fib
rattley Offline

Loc: Punta Gorda Florida USA
Hello Friends.

2 weeks ago at work a lightning bolt stuck a power pole 25 feet away from me. The bolt went down the pole and went under my work truck where I was standing. The percussion knocked me into my truck. The hair on my head and arms felt all tingly and my heart was racing but I seemed to be fine.............

Fast forward to today.......I have been extremely tired and completely out of breath for the past week. I went to a doctor today and an EKG showed A-fib. He gave me Warfarin and am scheduled for more tests and things later this week. Can't be certain that lightning was the cause. I've probably been a heart attack waiting to happen for a while. And damn it!!! It's 2 weeks until my 60th birthday. I have been so looking forward to it too.

I know there are some real troopers here that have gone thru this. I've never experienced anything like this before. That feeling that one cannot breath is haunting. I am scared and feel so weak right now. I am however very grateful to catch this early. Getting me to see a doctor is a challenge in itself!!

Please wish me well. -charley

#474561 - 08/13/19 04:31 PM Re: OT A-fib [Re: rattley]
Mikem Offline

Loc: Quebec, Canada

Hi Charley, I'm sorry this is happening to you. I hope everything will be well, so you can enjoy not just your 60th birthday, but that you'll enjoy many more good years to come. smile

Praying never hurts, so I'll direct some prayers to God who can do all things!

#474563 - 08/13/19 05:17 PM Re: OT A-fib [Re: rattley]
Riceroni9 Offline

Loc: TX, USA
Charley:

A-fib is pretty serious so keep a close tab on your condition. Like you, I wonder if the lightning strike had a hand in bringing this on... or even causing it. I would not know where to go or who to see about such a possibility.

Also like you, seeing Doctors and Dentists are not my favorite activities... but if you have a good one, keep them close and take their advice.

All the best... and prayers for you. ----Dave

#474565 - 08/13/19 06:08 PM Re: OT A-fib [Re: rattley]
synerjim Offline

Loc: CA

SD90,Korg I3, KMA Liverpool,TC Helicon Play Electric, Fender Sonoran Guitar, vArranger, Bose S1 Pros, Bose L1 Compact, Aiwa Exos-9

#474566 - 08/13/19 06:19 PM Re: OT A-fib [Re: rattley]
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
Charley,

Wishing you the best. That had to be a scary experience. I’ll keep you in my prayers. Good luck and keep us posted.

#474568 - 08/13/19 06:24 PM Re: OT A-fib [Re: rattley]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Charley, I know that feeling for sure. I'm thinking it was not related to the lightening, but I'm certainly not a doctor.
I had A-fib in the hospital after my open heart surgery,
Then, a year and a half ago, I had V-fib, which is way worse. They put in a defibrulator/pacemaker. They didn't know why it happened but they said this would save my life if it happened again, and that I had dodged a real bullet.
My heart seems to be in very good shape right now, mostly thanks to a medicine called Entresto. It has made a huge difference.
I'm saying a prayer for you for a quick and complete recovery.

#474570 - 08/13/19 07:52 PM Re: OT A-fib [Re: DonM]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Charley, so sorry to hear about this ... I had a pacemaker put in last year, but fortunately did not need the defibrillator ...
You will be in our prayers for a full and rapid recovery ...

#474571 - 08/14/19 01:24 AM Re: OT A-fib [Re: rattley]
The Saint Offline

Loc: Sydney Australia
Hi Charley, thinking of you, and wishing you well.
Last Sunday was the 9th anniversary of my heart attack (on the golf course, where else).
I had a stent put in and have had no more adverse effects.
Hope you have the same outcome.

Ray

#474573 - 08/14/19 03:42 AM Re: OT A-fib [Re: Mikem]
bruno123 Offline

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
Charley, you will be challenged, from the day we reach 50 we are going south, and it increases as we grow older. The issues of making money, having children, and reaching for the stars turn into maintenance and repair. It is not an easy time; it is a time for inner searching. The things we took for granted, we can no longer take for granted.

Charley, this is not the end, it is just another part of life.
The good news is that you are still here. The rules are changing and you have the power to handle the change. The move from feeling like a victim to feeling good again is in your hands.

After my heart operation in 1996 I felt my life was over, it was a natural reaction, I was 65. My values and my direction changed; I had been given a new challenge. How you handle your life is in your hands.

I will pray for your healing, but keep in mind the best is yet to come. I love my life.

Was I preaching again? Oh well, John C.

#474584 - 08/14/19 11:25 AM Re: OT A-fib [Re: rattley]
girljam Offline

Loc: FL
So very sorry to hear this, you are in my thoughts and prayers! John is correct, this is a challenge and a stumbling block in the road of life.

I had to have 3 cardiac stents placed several years ago, very scary, as it was a TIA that tipped us off to my condition. A warning sign, that I was happy to have, as I look back now.

Healing thoughts headed your way . . .

PSR S970, PSR S910, ShureSM57 mics, and way too much misc.

#474593 - 08/14/19 03:34 PM Re: OT A-fib [Re: rattley]
rattley Offline

Thanks for all the prayers and support! I have a much better attitude today and am looking forward to more tests and an assigned cardiologist tomorrow. -charley

#474595 - 08/14/19 04:18 PM Re: OT A-fib [Re: rattley]
synerjim Offline

My prayers for DonM, Gary, Charley and other Synthzoners who has ongoing health challenges. 1 Peter 2:24

SD90,Korg I3, KMA Liverpool,TC Helicon Play Electric, Fender Sonoran Guitar, vArranger, Bose S1 Pros, Bose L1 Compact, Aiwa Exos-9

#474600 - 08/14/19 05:47 PM Re: OT A-fib [Re: rattley]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Thanks Jim!

#474617 - 08/15/19 08:57 AM Re: OT A-fib [Re: rattley]
synerjim Offline

My pleasure Don, may we all have a blessed day.

#474640 - 08/15/19 02:50 PM Re: OT A-fib [Re: rattley]
solomon8 Offline

Loc: Lehigh Acres, Fl USA
Hi Charley. I understand your fear. It is very scary when things like this happen. I had a major heart attack at 49 in 1996. They did a Angioplasty. No stents. It changed my life. I am now going on 23 year after the incident. I changed my diet and I exercise every day. I feel good and have a great outlook on life. As crazy as it sounds I don't think I would be in as good health as I am at 72 if it were not for the heart attack. It changed me. And as Martha Stewart would say, "That's a good thing." Sending you prayers for a full recovery. God bless you.

#474642 - 08/15/19 03:12 PM Re: OT A-fib [Re: rattley]
lahawk Offline

Loc: Lehigh Valley, Pa.
Had a double by-pass surgery on May 1. Today, I feel really good, but not 100%, but hey when you get a certain age, 100% is probably a thing of the past. It's quite amazing what they can do today, and I'm sure you'll be fine. Good luck, and wish you well

Hawk Music
Sadly No More frown

♫ 🎹🎹 ♫ SX-900

#474646 - 08/15/19 08:01 PM Re: OT A-fib [Re: rattley]
saxxman Offline

Loc: Niceville, FL USA
Hey Charley - hang tough! You will make it! I have a good friend in Nashville who had open heart surgery 27 years ago and he's still kickin'. The good news is that today's technology can make what seemed like yesterday's miracles -- today's reality. I went in for routine tests 18 months ago and woke up in the ICU with a triple bi-pass. So far, so good (and yes it was a sobering eye opener).

So try not to worry too much and proceed with the tests you need. Prayers coming your way too.

PA4X, SX900 (Baby Genos), Roland U-20, L1 Compact, Way 2 Many Saxes

"My computer beats me routinely at chess - but it's NO MATCH for me at kick boxing!"

#474672 - 08/16/19 03:08 PM Re: OT A-fib [Re: rattley]
rattley Offline

Hey Hey!!

Thanks again for all the well wishes. I have a much more positive attitude now than earlier this week. I wish the medical system could work as fast as I want to go. I did see a cardiologist for the first time today. I like him and I thought he was very thorough for a first visit. Next week I have tests scheduled on 3 days.

I'm lucky to have good insurance at work and plenty of banked sick days to weather me thru this. I'm even luckier to have such good friends who care. All of you have inspired me in ways you don't know!

I feel good enough today to play my Genos tonight. I never thought I could feel so tired that even music didn't interest me.
Go Charley Go !!!!!! -charley

#474693 - 08/17/19 09:53 PM Re: OT A-fib [Re: bruno123]
Mark79100 Offline

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By bruno123
.....you will be challenged, from the day we reach 50 we are going south, and it increases as we grow older. The issues of making money, having children, and reaching for the stars turn into maintenance and repair. It is not an easy time; it is a time for inner searching. The things we took for granted, we can no longer take for granted.

John...this is one of your best "wisdom" comments. I'm suddenly looking at life with a different perspective instead of focusing on reality. Reality being...what I quoted from your post...maintenance and repair etc.

I mentioned in a previous post just not having enough time to do anything anymore (like learn my PA3x). Yes, trying to put the pieces back together like we were "before age 50" just ain't gonna happen anymore. It's all about "maintenance and repair" now, isn't it? Really never much thought about it that way until you mentioned it!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online