SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#473924 - 08/01/19 08:00 PM O/T: Need printer-scanner recommendation
TedS Offline

Loc: North Texas, USA
I want to take the leap and move all of my music onto an iPad Pro (probably) or Windows convertible such as the Microsoft Surface Pro (possibly.)

I would like some recommendations from this community regarding an all-in-one printer/scanner combo. Fast scanning speed and sharp scans are important. The ability to automatically feed multiple sheets would be nice too.

I used to have a Canon inkjet, which died. It had a slow-ish flatbed scanner, and if I didn't use it for a while, the ink tanks would dry out and require replacement, even if they were mostly full! If this cost could be avoided that would be great. But if I follow through on my plan, the scanning feature will get more use than the printing. Color printing is desired.

Thanks in advance!!

Edited by TedS (08/02/19 08:21 AM)

#473927 - 08/02/19 12:17 AM Re: O/T: Need printer-scanner recommendation [Re: TedS]
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
Follow the links below for a selection to choose from, (Each person’s requirements are individual but even the cheaper versions will do what you want these days) regarding ink then it will eventually dry out, however it is usually the nozzles that dry out first and cleaning them (Use the inbuilt cleaning program) usually solves the problem, also if you print off a test page once a week this will also work with minimal use of Ink.
Have fun choosing

Bill

https://www.techradar.com/uk/news/best-all-in-one-printer
https://www.tomsguide.com/us/best-all-in-one-printers,review-2026.html
https://www.lifewire.com/best-all-in-one-printers-to-buy-4062377
https://www.toptenthebest.com/top-10-best-all-in-one-printers/
https://www.pcmag.com/roundup/256359/the-best-all-in-one-printers

#473934 - 08/02/19 06:18 AM Re: O/T: Need printer-scanner recommendation [Re: TedS]
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
I may not be answering your question directly but here’s my experience with digitizing sheets.

Not sure what type sheets you are looking to digitize. A couple of thoughts, there are so many fake books digitized these days that I found it’s rare I need to scan anything. With that said I have a number of piano solo sheets from years back that I wanted to scan. IT’s always a work in progress. I did not have to scan a large number of the at the same session but via my iPhone or iPad I use an app called “Scanner Pro” I scan one sheet at a time. IN my case I only need to scan up to 6 pages at one session. I then upload the sheets to my Google drive account where I have all the other fake books/lead sheets and piano solos stored. Not the fastest method but it works. If had had to do multiple sheets the time spent separating them would probably take as much time as scanning individual sheets.

Edited by Stephenm52 (08/02/19 06:20 AM)

#473943 - 08/02/19 07:52 AM Re: O/T: Need printer-scanner recommendation [Re: TedS]
Bernie9 Offline

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
I have to do a good deal of scanning and printing for my band, so reliability and quality is important, but so is the cost. For the last ten years I have used Brother all-in-one laser printers. My latest is the MFC-2740DW. The only drawback is BW only, but the cost per copy is next to nothing.

#474063 - 08/03/19 07:45 PM Re: O/T: Need printer-scanner recommendation [Re: TedS]
TedS Offline

Loc: North Texas, USA
Thanks all for the recommendations. Reading reviews on Amazon.com is depressing! It seems that for pretty much any brand of consumer inkjet, about one in five doesn't meet the end user's needs!

Stephen, please tell me more about digitized fake books... Where does one find them? I don't need a huge library of standards at my fingertips. I'm not very good at sight reading, so if I haven't practiced it I'm not playing it! I just want digital versions of specific songs that I like. I'm not averse to spending money to save time and effort. If the score display app has the ability to send MIDI notes, that's a plus but not an absolute necessity.

Another question... with digital music, how does one add "notes" to the score about fingering, cues to change variations, etc?

I'm convinced that there's a better way than printed sheets and thumbing through bulky song books. Just trying to figure out the hardware, software, and work-flow that offer the best way forward. Thanks!!

Edited by TedS (08/03/19 07:47 PM)

#474087 - 08/04/19 01:50 AM Re: O/T: Need printer-scanner recommendation [Re: TedS]
MacAllcock Offline

Loc: Preston, Lancashire, England
I have to scan hymn books to get it bigger! I use paint.net to fix / rotate / improve contrast then import the image into MS Publisher. If i need to add text / notes I do that in Publisher. Then save from publisher as a pdf. I end up printing but I could view this on a tablet.

I'm using a Canon MG6150 device. I got it because reviews were positive and it prints direct to CDs / DVDs. Good scanner. Good printing but eats ink!

Most modern multi-function devices will do you a decent scan.

#474091 - 08/04/19 03:51 AM Re: O/T: Need printer-scanner recommendation [Re: TedS]
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By TedS
T

Stephen, please tell me more about digitized fake books... Where does one find them? I don't need a huge library of standards at my fingertips. I'm not very good at sight reading, so if I haven't practiced it I'm not playing it! I just want digital versions of specific songs that I like. I'm not averse to spending money to save time and effort. If the score display app has the ability to send MIDI notes, that's a plus but not an absolute necessity.

Another question... with digital music, how does one add "notes" to the score about fingering, cues to change variations, etc?

I'm convinced that there's a better way than printed sheets and thumbing through bulky song books. Just trying to figure out the hardware, software, and work-flow that offer the best way forward. Thanks!!

Ted, Check your PM that I sent.

Most music software apps for sheet music allow you to make annotations on the sheets. My favorite app is unReal book for displaying sheets on iOS, with Android, I use Mobile Sheets Pro

https://www.zubersoft.com/mobilesheets/

#474109 - 08/04/19 12:02 PM Re: O/T: Need printer-scanner recommendation [Re: TedS]
Bernie9 Offline

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
What Steve said, I use the same.

#474123 - 08/04/19 02:33 PM Re: O/T: Need printer-scanner recommendation [Re: Bernie9]
Dnj Offline

I love Brother Products

https://www.brother-usa.com/home

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online