SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#473716 - 07/30/19 09:45 PM Re: The best way to simulate a woman's voice? [Re: BradgeMusicTube]
Mark79100 Offline

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By BradgeMusicTube
I always pitch shift vocals up 12 semitones in Melodyne, and i take the formant filter and put it on +80-90 Cents. Pretty convincing.

This is what I mean...what Bradge is saying here.

My goodness. If we can send a man to the moon, and....you know the rest.

#473724 - 07/30/19 10:16 PM Re: The best way to simulate a woman's voice? [Re: Mark79100]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
I sometimes shift pitch up an octave and do "Crazy" for comic effect. Better than most of the bimbo female girl would-be singers that I hear. smile
I also use it to do the high voice in "Bread and Butter", when working with my friend Dean Mathis, one of the original Newbeats.

#473729 - 07/30/19 10:43 PM Re: The best way to simulate a woman's voice? [Re: DonM]
Mark79100 Offline

Loc: USA
Don....an interesting appraisal of female wannabe singers!

That's a good idea though right there...the Bread and Butter Song for variety. Since it's not going to happen in my lifetime (finding a female vocalist), I might just start working with a voice processor and do songs like that and songs like Don't You Just Know it (Huey Smith). You can sing unprocessed and immediately bring in the "chorus repeats" as a group. I think! I haven't worked with a harmonizer.

#473734 - 07/31/19 04:24 AM Re: The best way to simulate a woman's voice? [Re: Mark79100]
Crossover Offline

I gave you some tips about lifting the thyroid and a video about various techniques. I would appreciate some short comment about that. If you intend to approach a more female singing, you shouldn’t solely rely on digital processing.

#473739 - 07/31/19 07:20 AM Re: The best way to simulate a woman's voice? [Re: Mark79100]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
I thought that was quite interesting when I first read it. I'm content with my own scraggly voice these days, although it took years before I could stand to listen to it.
I don't even have a falsetto but wish I could develop it for songs like "Runaway", "Crying", etc.
Larry Henley, who did the high voice in the Newbeats' songs, couldn't explain how he did it; it was just there, but may have indeed been related to a technique such as you describe.

#473740 - 07/31/19 08:09 AM Re: The best way to simulate a woman's voice? [Re: Mark79100]
montunoman Offline

Loc: Dallas, Texas
A guitar/singer colleague of mine uses a vocal processor to bring his voice up or down an octave, usually for comic effect but it actually works quite well on some more modern dance/ hip hop that he sometimes does. I don’t think those effects would work well with Great American Songbook material though, but who knows?

www.youtube.com/channel/UCV94i--V-A8kZShmGTKyDOw

https://www.facebook.com/elgrupocache

#473742 - 07/31/19 09:27 AM Re: The best way to simulate a woman's voice? [Re: DonM]
Crossover Offline

Originally Posted By DonM
I thought that was quite interesting when I first read it. I'm content with my own scraggly voice these days, although it took years before I could stand to listen to it.
I don't even have a falsetto but wish I could develop it for songs like "Runaway", "Crying", etc.
Larry Henley, who did the high voice in the Newbeats' songs, couldn't explain how he did it; it was just there, but may have indeed been related to a technique such as you describe.

The technique with the thyroid lifting doesn't even deal with a "higher" pitch of the voice, that's often overestimated to make a voice more female. Resonance and overtones are equally important.
This woman born with male body characteristics manages the technique extraordinarily well, but I think she had good prerequisites and not an extremely male voice in the beginning... I admit, probably too much hard training necessary just for the purpose in question here...

Edited by Crossover (07/31/19 09:28 AM)

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online