SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#473354 - 07/22/19 10:20 PM Tea for Two using 3 keyboards
Mark79100 Offline

Loc: USA
I thought I'd post another song I found that I'm quite proud of the arrangement I did on it. I think I made it sound like a small band.

Drum track is the cha-cha on the Roland PRO-E...my favorite cha-cha style of all time (breaks included in that).

My technique for making the music sound like a trio is to play a line on one keyboard and then bring in your next "sound" with your other hand on the other keyboard. But they MUST overlap. i.e. before you finish playing one passage you bring in the second instrument with an "overlap" so it sounds like another "player" is starting to play. Sometimes I play both together as in a simple chorded song like Alexander's Ragtime Band using trumpet, trombone and brass i.e. play the trumpet and fill in between the notes with a trombone on the left side.

Attachments
Tea for Two.mp3 (80 downloads)

#473370 - 07/23/19 08:06 AM Re: Tea for Two using 3 keyboards [Re: Mark79100]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Very well played, Mark ... Thank you for posting that ...

Only slight negative was the abrupt ending ...

#473395 - 07/23/19 10:49 AM Re: Tea for Two using 3 keyboards [Re: Mark79100]
girljam Offline

Loc: FL
Love this! Thanks for sharing!

Play on!!!

PSR S970, PSR S910, ShureSM57 mics, and way too much misc.

#473399 - 07/23/19 12:55 PM Re: Tea for Two using 3 keyboards [Re: Mark79100]
montunoman Offline

Loc: Dallas, Texas
Very nice Mark! I liked the instrumentation and overall feel. Just curious, auto accompaniment bass or pedals or?

www.youtube.com/channel/UCV94i--V-A8kZShmGTKyDOw

https://www.facebook.com/elgrupocache

#473415 - 07/23/19 04:32 PM Re: Tea for Two using 3 keyboards [Re: Mark79100]
Bill Lewis Offline

Loc: Bluffton/Hilton Head SC USA
Excellent Playing. The recording is great and I thought you said you don't know how to get good live recordings. Well done !

#473528 - 07/26/19 10:01 PM Re: Tea for Two using 3 keyboards [Re: Mark79100]
Mark79100 Offline

Thanks guys for the "peer recognition." There are three kinds of "recognition" that I think every musician needs....."self recognition," "audience recognition," and "peer recognition." The "peer" is the most appreciated!

Tony...did you say the ending was not abrupt enough?
Paul...it was auto-accompaniment. I was half presenting the song and half demonstrating the power and fantastic styles of the 20 year old Roland PRO-E
Bill....that was one of the better live recordings. You'd know what I mean if you heard some of the rest of them

Anyhow, "peer recognition" is not complete for anyone unless you get the "clapping hands" from Donny (which ain't gonna happen for anything I post! I'm curious why that is?)

#473529 - 07/26/19 10:11 PM Re: Tea for Two using 3 keyboards [Re: Mark79100]
jimlaing Offline

Loc: Raleigh, NC
Sounds great - amazing that some of the sound is from a ~20 year old keyboard. . . I do like the idea of having sounds overlap as a new instrument comes in ... as you'd hear if a band did the song, as you described . . .

I like the little nuances in the trumpet lines, little 'imperfections' that give it more realism . . .

Jim

#473728 - 07/30/19 10:31 PM Re: Tea for Two using 3 keyboards [Re: jimlaing]
Mark79100 Offline

Originally Posted By jimlaing
I do like the idea of having sounds overlap as a new instrument comes in ... as you'd hear if a band did the song,

Jim...I have to thank you for this remark. I've been thinking for weeks now how I did that two hand overlap because my left hand is good but not THAT good that I could play those "fast" scale runs.

It finally came to me. Take the Beer Barrel Polka I recorded. I'd be playing the melody line (trumpet) on the keyboard in front of me. While holding the last note down, I would keep it down while switching hands (right hand goes to keyboard on my right, left hand still holding notes on front keyboard. The overlap starts...playing the clarinet while holding the left hand notes. Then vice versa. Right on 2nd keyboard finishes. Left hand replaces the right hand while holding the notes. Right hand crosses over the left and back to the front keyboard.

If you don't understand it, I'm not sure I do either. It's been a lot of years. It's kind of like the "Three Card Monty." Very tricky!

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online