SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#473701 - 07/30/19 01:01 PM Jury Antonov – Soviet/Russian popular artist
Kabinopus Offline

Loc: Russia
Hello!

Some people say that we like old songs because of nostalgia and that makes us biased to new ones.

It happens that my parents didn’t listen to popular Soviet/Russian music when I was growing up. Because to my dad that was the music of the Soviet System and he preferred (still does) music of a free and progressive world like Beatles, Queen, Pink Floyd – it was even cooler back that because it was ideologically forbidden and not distributed legally. So I had to discover a lot of popular Soviet music by myself when I was older and when I started to play the piano in a pub I played these popular songs, which were rather new to me but old to the audience.

Today I’m 33 years old and I find myself thinking like “all contemporary music is uneatable”. Scientists say that at this age people start to feel this way – become less open minded. But I still discover some songs from the past which are new to me today and I listen and learn them with an interest, so this theory about old habits doesn’t really work.

Recently I heard this song on the radio and this one was new to me as well, although it is practically the same age as I am.
Jury Antonov is one of the most successful Soviet artists, he wrote music for his songs himself working with various Soviet poets.

By listening to his music you can see, that it is in fact deeply affected by music of USA/UK. I find it also interesting how the overall sound has changed over the years, becoming from what now seems like “retro” to what we can call “conservative”, and “conservative” happens to sound much more contemporary:

1985:

2013:

The song is called the "Long-awaited aircraft"

This song is about parting before boarding a plane. The point is that, like an airplane, which life makes sense only in flight, so a person grows only in the pursuit of something.

Edited by Kabinopus (07/30/19 01:02 PM)

#473706 - 07/30/19 04:37 PM Re: Jury Antonov – Soviet/Russian popular artist [Re: Kabinopus]
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
I can relate. More rincles, but still grooves prety well.

Good that he is getting the recognition he deserves.

How is Leonid and Friends doing in Russia.

They KILLED on their US tour.

One of my favorites now.

R.

#473707 - 07/30/19 05:40 PM Re: Jury Antonov – Soviet/Russian popular artist [Re: Kabinopus]
Crossover Offline

I understood CAMA/\ËT („samaljot“) when he sang - a word I remember from 3 years of Russian I took in high school (even if it was in West Germany in the late 1980s, our school was one of a few which offered it).
The old version is something like a latin style mambo or rhumba, actually quite like „A night like this“ by Caro Emerald, but with typical 1980s sounds, also reminding me a little of „New German wave“ songs of the early 1980s, but softened by obviously real background strings

The new version is more a straightforward rock style, which makes it sound much more contemporary, but the guitarist also inserts strong country-style elements.

Edited by Crossover (07/30/19 05:41 PM)

Moderator:  Admin, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online