SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#473557 - 07/27/19 09:26 AM Downloads
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
I am constantly amazed at the folks on this forum that download posted styles, midi files, and MP3s that never make a comment on what they just acquired free of charge. I, personally, find this offensive and never understand the reasoning behind it. Hey, you just got a present from someone that you have likely never met, never talked to on the telephone, yet you don't say things such as "Thanks", or "your style sounds like crap", or even "I would never use this piece of crap, especially on stage." Nah! Just grab the goodies and run like a thief in the night.

I guess I must be an old fogie after all. I always taught my children to be polite, say please and thank you, never wear a hat at the dinner table, you know, old fashioned stuff like that. Personally, I would love to know if something I posted for downloading sounded like crapola and the reasons why. But, I guess I will never know from this crowd.

All the best,

Gary (A card carrying member of the old fogies club.) wink

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#473559 - 07/27/19 09:51 AM Re: Downloads [Re: travlin'easy]
DannyUK Offline

I believe I do thank those who sends me a gift, I’m always appreciative and thankful (and lucky) to receive it, I do it either via pm or here in public depending on how or where I receive them, there is where I’ll usually respond.

#473567 - 07/27/19 11:22 AM Re: Downloads [Re: travlin'easy]
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Gary, I guess opinions vary BUT....I feel that when you put something out there for public consumption, if it's in the TRUE spirit of giving/helping/sharing, (ie. not for the purpose of image enhancement or the admiration of others), then you should not expect anything in return (or feel slighted...."those unappreciative bastards"). If you do, then maybe you need to examine your own motives in putting it out there in the first place. For me personally, if someone makes something available to me that I didn't specifically ask for, and expects something from me in return, I DON'T WANT IT. But then again, this is just MY opinion and in most cases, if I do use something that is offered in this manner, I almost always will say "thank you". Besides, if they don't say anything, how would you even know they took/used it? Again, JMO.

chas

#473570 - 07/27/19 12:00 PM Re: Downloads [Re: travlin'easy]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Chas, just looking at the number of downloads tells you right away how many folks have consumed the file - pretty easy to understand. However, I, for one, always wish to know if what I uploaded is of the best quality, and if possible, how can I improve the quality that would be helpful to forum members. When there is absolutely no response, then there is no way of knowing your upload needs attention or improvements to make it beneficial to others. I really have no ulterior motive and seek aggrandizement - I just wish to know if the styles I've uploaded are worthwhile - nothing more, nothing less. If they're not up to snuff, tell me what is, or is not, working so I can make them more suitable.

Cheers,

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#473572 - 07/27/19 12:21 PM Re: Downloads [Re: travlin'easy]
cgiles Offline

Gary, not being argumentative and I accept your stated motive...BUT, you did start the initial post with "I, personally, find this offensive" which is sort of 'shaming'. If the contributor wants 'feedback', then they should so state, else it's just like pulling something off the internet (of which no one says 'thanks'). If you want something in return for your offerings, then you should say so, otherwise it's just another public resource. I'm not saying you're wrong; I'm just saying we have a different point of view. ( smile smile I can see the sides already starting to line up). That's okay. Almost everything on this board is treated as a popularity contest. I tend to never win those smile.

chas

#473574 - 07/27/19 12:42 PM Re: Downloads [Re: travlin'easy]
Graham UK Offline

Loc: Lincolnshire UK
Most Forums have a THANK YOU Button for just this purpose.
Members who download without clicking the THANK YOU button get band

#473578 - 07/27/19 01:20 PM Re: Downloads [Re: travlin'easy]
cgiles Offline

So Graham, is a mandatory 'thank you' worth anything? It's like those obligatory "thank you for your service" from store clerks when you have to identify yourself as a vet (Lowe's/Home Depot,etc.) to get that 10% discount smile.

chas

Edited by cgiles (07/27/19 01:24 PM)

#473579 - 07/27/19 01:38 PM Re: Downloads [Re: cgiles]
Henni Offline

Loc: South Africa
Gary my friend,

You hit the nail on the head. EXACTLY. After many thousands of uploads everywhere, you put my feelings into words.

Tx for mentioning although I doubt it will change anything. The average human is a selfish animal indeed.

Cheers,

Henni

#473581 - 07/27/19 02:04 PM Re: Downloads [Re: Henni]
jingleman Offline

Loc: The Villages, FL, USA
Henni: You have shared with everyone on this forum, multitudes of sounds and styles that I know, you have put your heart and soul into. I, for one, have always appreciated your efforts. Although I no longer have a Yamaha instrument...it doesn’t mean I don’t appreciate your hard work and dedication to your craft. If I haven’t responded...it in no way diminishes the appreciation I feel for your efforts. The same goes for all who who are willing to share their hard work...whether for feedback or for listening pleasure.

I would like to think that this forum provides an element of unconditional appreciation for the work of its members. I know that is how I feel.

Mitch

#473588 - 07/27/19 07:23 PM Re: Downloads [Re: travlin'easy]
ekurburski Offline

Loc: Mountain Home, AR
I for one do not comment on every post I listen to though I believe I learn a little something from everyone of them. In fact I was watching an old post of keyboard america's presentation of Peter B's on the Tyros yesterday and picked up a playing tip I believe I can use on my 3000. The OP hasn't changed that much so things these pro's do are possible on some of the older kb's if we try. I always try and leave positive feedback when appropriate.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online