SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#4734 - 06/01/03 03:59 PM Soundcard shock!
Equalizer Offline

Loc: Scotland
Last night I found out by accident that you can download special freeware drivers that turn a mega cheapo soundblaster live card into a top of the range pro audio card.

That's right!

And to give you a couple of figures... in my case I've brought the latency on Cubase VSTi live triggering down from 204 miliseconds to (wait for it!) 11 (yes- Eleven!!!) milisecounds!!!

That my friends is in the same league as the Echo cards and the M Audio cards (Delta 44, 66 etc)! Infact, with a push and the wind at my back I've even had the latency down to 5 ms (which is even faster than all of the major pro audio cards on the market!).

I only wish I had known about this before I forked out for a pro audio card last year.

And I hate to focus on the negative, but I can't BELIEVE that nobody in this entire forum seems to have picked up on this!

#4735 - 06/01/03 04:49 PM Re: Soundcard shock!
djboomstick Offline

Loc: newyork
its still 16/48 at best

#4736 - 06/01/03 08:19 PM Re: Soundcard shock!
TheSonicEnergyAuthority Offline

Loc: Peterborough,Cambridgeshire,UK
Are we talking 'Creative'?
Those special freeware drivers never worked for me when I had a SoundBlaster Live!
Perhaps I was unlucky..

------------------
The Sonic Energy Authority - a sound investment

#4737 - 06/02/03 03:23 AM Re: Soundcard shock!
Equalizer Offline

Sonic-

yes. We're talking Creative Soundblaster cards. In my case it was a Sound Blaster Value card- the cheapest of the whole bunch. However, it will work for any Soundblaster card.

I'll be happy to talk you through the installation process if you want.

#4738 - 06/02/03 10:24 AM Re: Soundcard shock!
TheSonicEnergyAuthority Offline

Loc: Peterborough,Cambridgeshire,UK
I don't use the card anymore, it's in my spare machine, i'm currently using a Guillemot ISIS card.
Slightly less latency than the SoundBalster, but not by much.
As there are drivers for Win 95/98/98SE/ME only it's going to have to be replaced one day, i.e. thee day I have to move to XP.
I'm quite happy with it at the moment,'If it's not broke - don't fix it'.

#4739 - 06/02/03 08:10 PM Re: Soundcard shock!
Anonymous
Unregistered

Its been a while since I have used a 16/48 card. I find it tedious trying to master from them.

#4740 - 06/04/03 09:18 AM Re: Soundcard shock!
kbrkr Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL
So where do we download these freeware drivers?

Al

Quote:
Originally posted by Equalizer:
Last night I found out by accident that you can download special freeware drivers that turn a mega cheapo soundblaster live card into a top of the range pro audio card.

That's right!

And to give you a couple of figures... in my case I've brought the latency on Cubase VSTi live triggering down from 204 miliseconds to (wait for it!) 11 (yes- Eleven!!!) milisecounds!!!

That my friends is in the same league as the Echo cards and the M Audio cards (Delta 44, 66 etc)! Infact, with a push and the wind at my back I've even had the latency down to 5 ms (which is even faster than all of the major pro audio cards on the market!).

I only wish I had known about this before I forked out for a pro audio card last year.

And I hate to focus on the negative, but I can't BELIEVE that nobody in this entire forum seems to have picked up on this!

Pa4x - LD Systems Maui 28 - Mackie Thumps

#4741 - 06/05/03 03:55 PM Re: Soundcard shock!
Equalizer Offline

Moderator:  Admin, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online