SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#473211 - 07/21/19 05:16 AM Should you be mad about bugs in free upgrades
spalding1968 Offline

Loc: United Kingdom
I just wanted to gauge folks opinions .

You have owned your current keyboard some years and the operating system is stable and works relatively well for your needs.

The keyboard manufacturer provider offers you a free operating system upgrade three or four years after you have bought your keyboard with multiple new functions and samples.

You are not obligated to accept the free upgrade and can continue to use your board as before , however , when you do you discover it had some sporadic bugs in it .

Would you be mad at the manufacture for releasing the upgrade even if they offer to try to fix the bugs ?

Your thoughts please .

#473213 - 07/21/19 05:53 AM Re: Should you be mad about bugs in free upgrades [Re: spalding1968]
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
Software is so complex, (Most modern keyboards are just bespoke computers) and the feature diversity is so great, that it is impossible for a manufacture to try out every combination to isolate bugs, (This applies to everything that uses tech (Just ask smart TV owners) so I am afraid you either accept it or just don’t upgrade. (It’s annoying but that’s life, plus it is free and the R & D ages still have to be paid)
The main thing is how quick they fix the bugs once they are identified.

Bill

#473230 - 07/21/19 09:17 AM Re: Should you be mad about bugs in free upgrades [Re: spalding1968]
TedS Offline

Loc: North Texas, USA
I would be angry if the bug were latent (i.e., not obvious at first use) AND if there were no way to revert to the previous operating system. IMO all of the upgrades, whether "free" or not, should give the user an opportunity to revert. Often they don't, in which case yes I would be angry.

#473234 - 07/21/19 10:01 AM Re: Should you be mad about bugs in free upgrades [Re: spalding1968]
Bachus Offline

For professional instruments used by professionals, its extremely important that you can always go back to a previous version.

The way software works its near impossible to create anything totally bugfree, users allways can create a situation, programmers never tought of, and so was never tested in a beta.

Now software upgrades are extremely important, in our world. But when you install something that doesn’t work as intended, you allways should be able to move back to the version that worked for you, till the bug thta came with the bugfix is repaired.

http://keyszone.boards.net

#473255 - 07/21/19 01:13 PM Re: Should you be mad about bugs in free upgrades [Re: spalding1968]
spalding1968 Offline

There is no issue whatsoever in reverting to the previous fully functioning operating system . Some folks are just angry because apparently they feel or believe they have a right to the fully functional free upgrade now .

I don’t understand this position and I just wondered if I was completely off base on this . I seem to have ruffled some feathers on another forum for calling out this ungrateful and in my view childish behaviour .

#473257 - 07/21/19 01:19 PM Re: Should you be mad about bugs in free upgrades [Re: spalding1968]
Bachus Offline

Originally Posted By spalding1968
There is no issue whatsoever in reverting to the previous fully functioning operating system . Some folks are just angry because apparently they feel or believe they have a right to the fully functional free upgrade now .

I don’t understand this position and I just wondered if I was completely off base on this . I seem to have ruffled some feathers on another forum for calling out this ungrateful and in my view childish behaviour .

Everyone is entitled to a fully functional bug free upgrade...
Sadly, the real world teaches us it isn’t possible the way we develop software these days..

Taking all bugs out before release, would make process atleast 10 times as expensive, and even then its notgoing to happen.

http://keyszone.boards.net

#473271 - 07/21/19 03:03 PM Re: Should you be mad about bugs in free upgrades [Re: spalding1968]
spalding1968 Offline

Is everyone entitled to a free OS upgrade at all bug free or not ?

#473294 - 07/22/19 01:03 AM Re: Should you be mad about bugs in free upgrades [Re: spalding1968]
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
I think we might be getting confused here, an upgrade usually costs as it replaces or brings something new to the table, (Trading one instrument for the latest version is an upgrade) however an update takes what is there and expands on it to make it even better.
Updates (Normally for a limited time) are factored in when the price is set by the manufacture, so yes, they should be expected by users. (Unless they bought the instrument after the final update was released)

Bill

#473295 - 07/22/19 02:16 AM Re: Should you be mad about bugs in free upgrades [Re: spalding1968]
spalding1968 Offline

No one can know in advance whether there will be any further updates after the keyboard is bought never mind how many or what the final one will be .

You buy the instrument for what it is when you buy it . Nobody (as far as I know ) buys an instrument for an agreed price based upon free updates that may or may not happen to emerge at some point in the future with features styles and samples that you may not ever need use or want .

Certainly the korg “ next “ OS was complete unexpected and was never understood to be part of the price when the instrument was bought 4 years ago .

Whatever it cost the manufacturer to produce has absolutely nothing to do with the price buyers /owners paid for or it . I know I did not pay the manufacturers suggested price for mine , or have I got this completely wrong and my years of studying economics , supply and demand price elasticity etc been completely debunked ?

Edited by spalding1968 (07/22/19 02:18 AM)

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online