SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#473104 - 07/18/19 09:43 PM what can I do with my old Roland styles?
Mark79100 Offline

Loc: USA
Chas brought to my attention that I have styles in my Roland E-300 that I forgot all about. These are not just generic styles like they put out today but really authentic stuff (paso doble, Hora, Charleston, etc). I'm remembering now why I loved playing music so much back in the old days.

Anyhow....can anyone tell me if I can convert them to be used on the Korg PA series? Or the new line of Rolands? They are extensions: STL (for early Roland keyboards.

Or...any ideas on how else I could make use of these other than just on my E-300? They're too good to just be sitting there stored on my hard drive!

#473117 - 07/19/19 02:18 AM Re: what can I do with my old Roland styles? [Re: Mark79100]
MusicalMemories Offline

Loc: Arbroath,Angus,Scotland
Emc Styleworks ?

#473120 - 07/19/19 02:39 AM Re: what can I do with my old Roland styles? [Re: MusicalMemories]
bruno123 Online   content

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
Mark, the amount of available styles out there is mind boggling. I have turned form style searching to perfecting the ones that I already have; it is more rewarding.

I have so many Yamaha and Korg in my computer, it would take me a long time to go through them. I just go there when I am bored.

John C.

#473130 - 07/19/19 06:36 AM Re: what can I do with my old Roland styles? [Re: bruno123]
Dnj Offline

Conversions are hit & miss especially Roland to Korg

http://www.emc-musicsoftware.de/eng-shop/eng-dscstw.htm

#473135 - 07/19/19 08:46 AM Re: what can I do with my old Roland styles? [Re: Mark79100]
Bill Lewis Offline

Loc: Bluffton/Hilton Head SC USA
Mark
When I git my BK9 I wanted to save some Styles used on my G1000. Plus some Styles I had in libraries of old Roland Styles. After time I found out the Styles included with the BK9 just sounded better, More defination to the instruments etc. So I've found myself slowly replacng the old ones I can identify with newer ones. The key to any of these is Editing !
I do tons of editing to any style and then after awhile I do more wondering what I was thinking during the first edit. In the BK9 I haven't found any gaps in the tradional music Styles. There's always something that will work. Not so much in the dedicated song styles so you have to adapt and "make it your own version" I guess what I'm saying is throughly investigate your new keyboard first. Have fun.

Edited by Bill Lewis (07/19/19 08:47 AM)

#473161 - 07/19/19 10:06 PM Re: what can I do with my old Roland styles? [Re: Dnj]
Mark79100 Offline

Originally Posted By Dnj

I suspect I'm going to have to go with this realization...."hit and miss."

I'm almost sorry I discovered that whole treasure chest of old Roland styles. But I'm also reminded of why I don't play my PA3x. 400 styles but the only ones that do anything for me are the Big Band.

Does anyone know if the new Roland keyboards accept those styles from 15 years ago. I can't reach Roland (corporation) by telephone anymore.

I'm also flirting with the idea of taking out my Roland Pro-E and playing them on there while I play another keyboard for the sounds. Did that for quite a few years. The Pro-E is very advanced but the footprint is no bigger than a laptop computer.

#473163 - 07/19/19 11:41 PM Re: what can I do with my old Roland styles? [Re: Mark79100]
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Originally Posted By Mark79100
Originally Posted By Dnj

I suspect I'm going to have to go with this realization...."hit and miss."

I'm almost sorry I discovered that whole treasure chest of old Roland styles. But I'm also reminded of why I don't play my PA3x. 400 styles but the only ones that do anything for me are the Big Band.

Does anyone know if the new Roland keyboards accept those styles from 15 years ago. I can't reach Roland (corporation) by telephone anymore.

I'm also flirting with the idea of taking out my Roland Pro-E and playing them on there while I play another keyboard for the sounds. Did that for quite a few years. The Pro-E is very advanced but the footprint is no bigger than a laptop computer.

Mark, Roland styles are backwards compatible.. Any newer Roland keyboard will play your old styles.
The only ones that will give you trouble are the RA50 format (MT32 map) Unless you like that bass sound as a sax grin

BTW: My old Pro E is definitely bigger then my current laptops.

Maybe the old original laptops (monsters). I may still have one around here somewhere smile

Mark So what are your photo keyboards? I recognize the Jupiter. What about the organ, and I believe the piano?

#473350 - 07/22/19 09:20 PM Re: what can I do with my old Roland styles? [Re: Fran Carango]
Mark79100 Offline

Fran.....I didn't even notice that I was playing a Jupiter (still have it). The board in front of me is a Yamaha PS-6100. Don't remember what else I was playing. I have a lot of Roland keyboards. I eventually changed the setup to two keyboards in front of me....Pro E on top, DX7 underneath, Roland U-20 on my right...on the floor a U-20 module controlled by my left hand on the DX7, 2 volume pedals, and one wah-wah for the guitar sounds. Pro E was used mostly for the styles. A perfect comfortable setup....used it for years.

Yes, you reminded me the Pro E IS bigger than a laptop.

#473351 - 07/22/19 09:23 PM Re: what can I do with my old Roland styles? [Re: Mark79100]
Mark79100 Offline

So...I just thought. Fran or anyone...can you take a couple of my "old" Roland styles and try them on a newer Roland. But don't the instruments sounds have to map out correctly or are they General MIDI? Did I say that right?

#473355 - 07/22/19 11:11 PM Re: what can I do with my old Roland styles? [Re: Mark79100]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
If you will post a link to some of the styles I will try them on ea7.

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online