SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#472537 - 07/08/19 03:02 PM Live Arranger Keyboard & Piano playing | 07-07-201
Dnj Offline

#472555 - 07/08/19 07:52 PM Re: Live Arranger Keyboard & Piano playing | 07-07-201 [Re: Dnj]
girljam Offline

Loc: FL
Thanks for sharing this Donny~. When I had to stop giggling, my 910 helped pay the bills with piano lessons, which I still do. I also have an upright piano, but for those students who are interested, and whom I feel have enough basic knowledge of chords and theory, I love introducing them to chording on my arranger keyboard! Somewhat of a lost art . . . I can tell you that none of my piano instructors ever taught me how to really CHORD! I do believe it is becoming a lost art, so I do teach it,, when applicable, to students who seem capable of appreciating it!

PSR S970, PSR S910, ShureSM57 mics, and way too much misc.

#472569 - 07/09/19 06:03 AM Re: Live Arranger Keyboard & Piano playing | 07-07-201 [Re: Dnj]
Bill Lewis Offline

Loc: Bluffton/Hilton Head SC USA
Donny
Thanks for postiice vid and very good playing The piano sound on the Genous sounds great and is very expressive. Like to know the name of the first tune. Sounds familar but I can't place it ?

#472572 - 07/09/19 06:10 AM Re: Live Arranger Keyboard & Piano playing | 07-07-201 [Re: girljam]
Bill Lewis Offline

Loc: Bluffton/Hilton Head SC USA
Originally Posted By girljam
Thanks for sharing this Donny~. When I had to stop giggling, my 910 helped pay the bills with piano lessons, which I still do. I also have an upright piano, but for those students who are interested, and whom I feel have enough basic knowledge of chords and theory, I love introducing them to chording on my arranger keyboard! Somewhat of a lost art . . . I can tell you that none of my piano instructors ever taught me how to really CHORD! I do believe it is becoming a lost art, so I do teach it,, when applicable, to students who seem capable of appreciating it!

Not sure what you mean by Chording ? Lost Art ?

#472573 - 07/09/19 06:54 AM Re: Live Arranger Keyboard & Piano playing | 07-07-201 [Re: Bill Lewis]
Dnj Offline

Jill & Bill you are both very welcome ....
I watched the whole video 2x and found it
exceptionally enjoyable also.
Taking online requests from around the world is so kool!
Here is another..

Edited by Dnj (07/09/19 06:56 AM)

#472591 - 07/09/19 11:21 AM Re: Live Arranger Keyboard & Piano playing | 07-07-201 [Re: Dnj]
Dnj Offline

#472592 - 07/09/19 11:55 AM Re: Live Arranger Keyboard & Piano playing | 07-07-201 [Re: Bill Lewis]
girljam Offline

Loc: FL
Originally Posted By Bill Lewis

I was mostly referring to piano teachers . . . I belong to a piano teachers forum, which I really love, but very few instructors will teach their students the basics of chording and progression of chords. I remember watching my father chord with his left hand on his old Hammond organ, and after he was done, I would sit down and copy what he did. My teachers frowned upon this type of playing!
Sure, they want their students to be able to read the chord in written notation, but most steer away from anything more than that.
I want my students to not only be able to read music, but also to learn to play by ear (if possible), follow and feel rhythms, and develop their own sense of style over time by using every tool available to them!
Again, this is just my opinion!
I sat down at my 970 today for awhile, no styles, no frills, just played some beautiful music . . . And I am grateful every day that I have the ability to do so, with or without any styles or backing tracks! I play what makes me feel good!!!

keys

PSR S970, PSR S910, ShureSM57 mics, and way too much misc.

#472597 - 07/09/19 01:26 PM Re: Live Arranger Keyboard & Piano playing | 07-07-201 [Re: girljam]
montunoman Offline

Loc: Dallas, Texas

I know what you mean. I really consider myself a “ chord” player. I don’t think it’s at all a lost art though, but do agree with you 100 percent about piano teachers not teaching chords, and how to practically apply them to music. I tried so hard to find a teacher to work on chord playing with my daughter and I had a really hard time finding a teacher that could or would teach how to play with chords / lead sheets/ comping..,
I could teach my daughter but she very resistant to my musical input so I’ve learned to back off. She can play classical violin very well and can play just fine with no sheet music, which makes my very proud. I do wish she did keep up with piano though...

I was mostly referring to piano teachers . . . I belong to a piano teachers forum, which I really love, but very few instructors will teach their students the basics of chording and progression of chords. I remember watching my father chord with his left hand on his old Hammond organ, and after he was done, I would sit down and copy what he did. My teachers frowned upon this type of playing!
Sure, they want their students to be able to read the chord in written notation, but most steer away from anything more than that.
I want my students to not only be able to read music, but also to learn to play by ear (if possible), follow and feel rhythms, and develop their own sense of style over time by using every tool available to them!
Again, this is just my opinion!
I sat down at my 970 today for awhile, no styles, no frills, just played some beautiful music . . . And I am grateful every day that I have the ability to do so, with or without any styles or backing tracks! I play what makes me feel good!!!

keys

www.youtube.com/channel/UCV94i--V-A8kZShmGTKyDOw

https://www.facebook.com/elgrupocache

#472598 - 07/09/19 01:32 PM Re: Live Arranger Keyboard & Piano playing | 07-07-201 [Re: Dnj]
montunoman Offline

Loc: Dallas, Texas
My daughter had a piano teacher who was mainly classical but could also play well by ear, but this teacher insisted that playing with out notation is a gift, and can not be taught. I do not agree at all and really think the teacher did not know how to teach without notation. How I wish my daughter had found a teacher like you Jill!

www.youtube.com/channel/UCV94i--V-A8kZShmGTKyDOw

https://www.facebook.com/elgrupocache

#472599 - 07/09/19 02:22 PM Re: Live Arranger Keyboard & Piano playing | 07-07-201 [Re: Bill Lewis]
Tostie Offline

Donny
Thanks for postiice vid and very good playing The piano sound on the Genous sounds great and is very expressive. Like to know the name of the first tune. Sounds familar but I can't place it ?

Everglow by Coldplay ;-)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online