SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#47245 - 07/22/02 07:45 AM Audio-Demos from sx-KN7000
Crysyl Offline

Loc: Hoexter, NRW, Germany
Hello,

now you can listen to the 10 internal demos of the sx-KN7000 at www.taiyo.de. The audio-files are in real-audio format.

Best regards

Crysyl

#47246 - 07/22/02 08:13 AM Re: Audio-Demos from sx-KN7000
Alain Offline

Loc: De Panne , Belgium
Well done.......
It's every time looking better and better....
I can't wait....
I think I will take a holiday for one month so I can think off something else....it's driving me mad.
My wives knows am a bit crazy....but who isn't...
Hahaha
Alain

#47247 - 07/22/02 10:49 AM Re: Audio-Demos from sx-KN7000
JvG Offline

Loc: Holland
Hmm, I was not impressed by those audio demos.

Doesn't sound much better than the 6000, and sounds a lot worse than what I'm used to with my sampler setup.

#47248 - 07/22/02 12:45 PM Re: Audio-Demos from sx-KN7000
Bill Norrie Offline

Loc: North Yorkshire UK
I trust you are not judging the sound by what you hear through your PC sound system that is most certainly not a fair comparison, in more ways than one. I have heard the KN7000 live, as have a few other members of the forum and can definitely say that it sounds superb to me. I respectfully suggest that you reserve judgement, until you hear the 'Real Thing'

------------------
Willum

After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is Music.
Aldous Huxley
( especially when the music is played on a KN7000....)

#47249 - 07/22/02 01:34 PM Re: Audio-Demos from sx-KN7000
technicsplayer Offline

remember that real audio is pretty useless too, like listening to a symphony orchestra through laptop speakers.

#47250 - 07/22/02 03:14 PM Re: Audio-Demos from sx-KN7000
Bill Norrie Offline

Loc: North Yorkshire UK
...exactly - hence my remark "in more ways than one" ....

------------------
Willum

After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is Music.
Aldous Huxley
( especially when the music is played on a KN7000....)

#47251 - 07/23/02 12:05 AM Re: Audio-Demos from sx-KN7000
JvG Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Bill Norrie:
I trust you are not judging the sound by what you hear through your PC sound system that is most certainly not a fair comparison, in more ways than one. I have heard the KN7000 live, as have a few other members of the forum and can definitely say that it sounds superb to me. I respectfully suggest that you reserve judgement, until you hear the 'Real Thing'

Wether it "sounds superb" is relative.
The audio recordings were high enough quality to leave me disappointed. The sampled sounds just sounded, well, dull and lifeless. There's no other way to put it. The guitars still sound fake, the vocals were annoyingly sterile (you can obviously tell the samples are short and stretched pretty far across the keyboard). Oh well, not that I expected chromaticly sampled instruments but still.

Seriously, having gotten used to sound libraries where a single instrument can be as large as 600 megs or even bigger it's no surprise I'm disappointed. I just expect too much from a consumer keyboard.

E.g. I have some amazing sounding acoustic guitars here, but these are ~30 megs a piece. Meaning one instrument alone would take up about half the available sample rom of the KN7000. Oh well, guess that means my PR703 will be my last technics instrument.

#47252 - 07/23/02 12:21 AM Re: Audio-Demos from sx-KN7000
JvG Offline

Just for clarification, my PC sound system is not crap or anything:

Terratec EWX 24/96 soundcard
2x Yamaha MSP5 studio monitor speakers

Have it hooked up like that these days as I use mainly software samplers which means the sounds come straight out of the pc.

I realise that RealAudio is not too good for most purposes, but the recordings were not that bad.

#47253 - 07/23/02 01:59 AM Re: Audio-Demos from sx-KN7000
technicsplayer Offline

I don't think you are being particularly realistic here. There is no machine on the planet at this price level with those levels of wave rom, and the other features thrown in.

Each manufacturer has their ways of compressing the rom, so direct comparison with samplers using uncompressed formats is not really comparable.

It sounds like you want something like a Triton with huge hard drive and cd library. Or gigasampler with a low latency drive controller keyboard. Look at the respective prices, and then try a one touch play with accompaniment on those. This isn't apples and pears comparison, this is apples and cheese.

#47254 - 07/23/02 04:49 AM Re: Audio-Demos from sx-KN7000
JvG Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by technicsplayer:
I don't think you are being particularly realistic here. There is no machine on the planet at this price level with those levels of wave rom, and the other features thrown in.

Each manufacturer has their ways of compressing the rom, so direct comparison with samplers using uncompressed formats is not really comparable.

It sounds like you want something like a Triton with huge hard drive and cd library. Or gigasampler with a low latency drive controller keyboard. Look at the respective prices, and then try a one touch play with accompaniment on those. This isn't apples and pears comparison, this is apples and cheese.

Well, as I said I wasn't expecting full chromatically sampled sounds.

However, let's *be* realistic, the hardware powering stuff like Gigasampler or Halion (which I use) is NOT expensive whatsoever. It's basically hard drive streaming technology which could easily be introduced into the consumer keyboard market with a little will.

For the money the KN7000 sells for I can easily buy myself a nice controller keyboard, a fat PC, Cubase and Halion, and several high quality sample libraries.

Anyway, what I'm getting at is that the sounds in today's keyboard could be better with little effort, even if they stick to regular wave rom (I mean c'mon, 64 megs even if compressed is just not enough for so many sounds). Increase that size to 512 megs and you can do a hell of a lot more and I doubt it would add significantly to the overall cost. Will they ever do so? Probably not, the keyboard consumer market does not demand the high quality sounds you can get from samplers.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online