SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#472342 - 07/05/19 05:24 AM Left Hand Sounds Question
Bernie9 Offline

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
This seems a bit silly to ask, but I started on organ many years ago, and became accustomed to L&R sounds when I switched to arrangers. I have many arrangements on my SD40 with almost non-existent left sounds, which I would have to make if using my controller instead of my SK1.

The question is whether it is worth the work, as I see arrangers played all the time with LH used for chords for the arranger only. I normally use LH sounds to add to accomp and transition fills etc, but don't have to.

Edited by Bernie9 (07/05/19 07:32 AM)

#472346 - 07/05/19 08:01 AM Re: Left Hand Sounds Question [Re: Bernie9]
bruno123 Online   content

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
The question is whether it is worth the work, as I see arrangers played all the time with LH used for chords for the arranger only. I normally use LH sounds to add to accomp and transition fills etc, but don't have to.

Bernie, I would never give up my left hand sounds, it tells my right hand what to do. They are not seperate, both hands work with one thought.
John C.

#472347 - 07/05/19 08:22 AM Re: Left Hand Sounds Question [Re: Bernie9]
IMMusic_Curt Offline

Loc: New Symrna Beach, Fl.
Timing is everything. We were just looking ahead a little to plan out some of the future topics we want to cover in our Ketron video series. Turns out one is going to be how to edit the Lower1 and Lower2 voices on Ketron SD instruments.

Sometimes we use them and there are times when we have them muted. Like Bernie, we come from the organ world so very used to having them.

#472348 - 07/05/19 08:30 AM Re: Left Hand Sounds Question [Re: Bernie9]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
With Yamaha, you can move that left hand voice up the keyboard well beyond the split point, thus use it as not only a left hand layer, but also a lead voice for your right hand.

Neat feature,

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#472349 - 07/05/19 08:49 AM Re: Left Hand Sounds Question [Re: Bernie9]
Bernie9 Offline

It seems to me, then, it is not absolutely necessary, especially, with a full style playing. The SD40 has all the tools to work with, but to balance the different volume parameters is tricky and laborious. to try and get a softer voice level raised without the whole style. I am working with master, style, 2 lower, and chorus volumes.

Maybe good old Curt can enlighten me with an upcoming video segment.

#472350 - 07/05/19 09:05 AM Re: Left Hand Sounds Question [Re: Bernie9]
IMMusic_Curt Offline

Loc: New Symrna Beach, Fl.
This won't help you Bernie, but I suspect you might already know on SD90 there is a physical volume fader on the front panel for "Lower." The makes it a little better than drilling into the style view to adjust the Lower volumes.

#472351 - 07/05/19 09:08 AM Re: Left Hand Sounds Question [Re: travlin'easy]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Originally Posted By travlin'easy
With Yamaha, you can move that left hand voice up the keyboard well beyond the split point, thus use it as not only a left hand layer, but also a lead voice for your right hand.

Neat feature,

Gary cool

And not just on Yamaha, but on KORG as well - can't speak for other brands as I have not owned them ...

More often than not, my left hand voice is an Organ ... It provides some fullness and some counter melody when I want ...
Three right voices and one left voice are all independent of each other, so setting volume controls etc. is very easy ...
I would assume Yamaha works in a similar way ?

#472362 - 07/05/19 12:03 PM Re: Left Hand Sounds Question [Re: Bernie9]
Bernie9 Offline

It is the same old story; Modules are so handy and portable, but there are concessions to be made, but also workarounds are there. If I want the former, I better be prepared for the latter. With all that my SD40 can do, I really shouldn't complain about the lack of a separate left volume control slider, but I do anyway.

#472364 - 07/05/19 01:08 PM Re: Left Hand Sounds Question [Re: Bernie9]
TedS Offline

Loc: North Texas, USA
I'm not a very skilled player. All I ever do with my left hand is specify chords (and usually with just 1 or 2 keys pressed.) So I don't use the left voice personally.

What I have found is that many styles have a "pad" track, usually in an advanced variation, which gives the same effect as playing full, sustained chords with the left hand. A lot of the organ music I play sounds best with ONLY this track and the bass track activated. Combined with sync stop, I can almost fool non-musicians into thinking that I know what I'm doing!

Edited by TedS (07/05/19 01:09 PM)

#472365 - 07/05/19 01:25 PM Re: Left Hand Sounds Question [Re: TedS]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Originally Posted By TedS
I don't use the left voice personally.

What I have found is that many styles have a "pad" track, usually in an advanced variation, which gives the same effect as playing full, sustained chords with the left hand.

I do something similar, and often I will revoice the pad to another voice (organ e.g.), or, I use Style Creator to put that pad in less advanced parts of the style.

Also, any rhythmic parts (chord 1 and 2 and Phrase 1 and 2) can also be subbed into other variations, but, simplest of all is using the pad as you described.

Ian

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online